Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens if I defer a place but...

• 22-08-2011 9:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭

Got offered my second choice, but, I'm going to defer it.
    I'm just wondering what happens if I reapply to the CAO system again next year with a new list of courses?

Will my deferral make a difference to my application? I'm hoping to have decided on a different course for next year that's lower points, but I'd like this one as a back-up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Your deferred course is taken off you once you apply for anything else. The handbook says this:
    B) Taking up a deferral: In order to take up a deferred place, you must re-apply through CAO in the succeeding year, pay the appropriate application fee and place the deferred course as your only preference on the application form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

You cant do that.
    You can choose to defer your course now or not.
    But by the time the deadline for the cao has come around next year you will have to have that course as your only choice for the deferral to activate.

If you put more than one course on the list then you null your deferral and are back into the pot like everyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

Ah... yeah, thought that may have been the case.

Thanks you

Advertisement