Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Pizza dough

Options
  • 22-08-2011 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I see from the "whats for dinner last night thread" that a lot of people make their own pizza. I have made it in the past but would like a good easy tried and tested recipe if anyone would like to share.

Cheers,

S.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I use the Jamie Oliver one, pretty failure proof!
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pizza-recipes/pizza-dough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I also use the jamie oliver one. Its always turned out perfect for me.

The only thing I struggle with is getting off the counter and onto the hot pizza stone that goes in the oven. Plenty of burns from that!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I use

400g Strong white flour
    100g Buckwheat flour
    1 Tsp Salt
    1 Tsp Sugar
    300 ml warm water
    1 Tsp dried yeast
    Splash of olive oil

Add the yeast and sugar to the water and allow the yeast to activate for a few minutes.
    Add the yeasty water to the mixed dry ingredients, add the olive oil and mix to form a dough.
    Knead for about 10 minutes on a well floured surface.
    Roll the dough into a sausage shape and cut into 4 or 5 discs.
    Oil each disc and place each one in a separate plastic bag and refrigerate overnight or longer (this really develops the flavour of the dough - they will keep in the fridge like this for up to a week)
    Take out of the fridge a couple of hours before you want to cook them.

Don't over load your pizza!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

^
    Interesting recipe.

What type buckwheat flour do you use? Is it for taste or protein (elasticity, texture) reasons?

enda1 wrote: »
    ^
    Interesting recipe.

What type buckwheat flour do you use? Is it for taste or protein (elasticity, texture) reasons?

I buy Dove's buckwheat flour (I'd say any wholefood shop would have it).
    It gives the crust a slight nutty flavour. Try it - you'll never go back!

I also make them very thin with minimal toppings, I use a pizza stone and my oven gets very hot so they cook in 6 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I also use a dough recipe from Jamie Oliver - it turns out really well. I've put up a recent post on my pizza making here.

In the past, I also used a recipe from Tim Allen's "Bread Book" - but I couldn't find the book the last time I looked for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

olaola wrote: »
    I use the Jamie Oliver one, pretty failure proof!
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pizza-recipes/pizza-dough

Made this last week, enough for 8 Pizzas, Ate two on the day which was very nice, defrosted 2 last night and made them, i though they were better. Prob the best dough recipe i came across so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭brick tamland

If i was to try the Jamie Oliver reciepe with just normal (odlums cream ) flour, would it make a huge difference? would it work?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If i was to try the Jamie Oliver reciepe with just normal (odlums cream ) flour, would it make a huge difference? would it work?

No, it has to be strong white or 00 flour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Get strong white flour.
    Also, I used the 800g strong flour plus 200g semolina mix too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've some home made dough in the freezer. Unfortunately, it's from 2009, would it be dodgy to use now?

I've some home made dough in the freezer. Unfortunately, it's from 2009, would it be dodgy to use now?

It won't make you sick but it might taste a bit 'freezery'.
    I'd chance it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I used the Jamie Oliver recipe yesterday and it was the nicest pizza dough I've ever made. Only thing was, I was lazy and threw it into the bread machine and it was messy to get it out because it's such a wet mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I use a long autolyse dough, which means you have to be organised enough to start it the day before, but it really is the best pizza dough I've ever come across, and believe me, I've tried a lot of different recipes over the years!

Makes two 12" bases

1 tsp dried yeast
    63ml warm water
    1 tsp salt
    250ml cold water
    350g plain flour

1) Sprinkle the yeast over the warm water in a large bowl and leave to prove for 5 minutes. Stir in the salt & cold water, then stir in the flour (use a fork, it's easiest), about a third at a time. Bring it together in the bowl, then turn out onto a floured surface and knead til smooth and elastic. Form into two tight balls, pop each one into an oiled sandwich bag, seal, then chuck in the fridge overnight.

2) Remove the doughballs from the fridge an hour before using (but leave 'em in the bags). Flour a clean surface and slap one of the doughballs onto it. Using your hands only (a rolling pin will knock too much air out of the dough) flatten the ball as much as possible and stretch it into a rough circle. (This takes a bit of practice, but don't worry if you have mutant bases the first few times, they'll still taste lovely.) Place the first base onto a piece of floured greaseproof paper, set aside, and repeat with the second one.

3) Spread a couple of tablespoons of sauce onto each base, then top your pizzas (still on the greaseproof paper) whatever way you like. If, like me, you just aren't arsed buying a proper peel, grab the nearest person and get them to hold two corners of the greaseproof paper taut, while you do the same, and carefully move the topped pizza onto the stone. You can remove the greaseproof paper after a few minutes. If you don't have a stone, just stick your pizza on a baking tray (without the greaseproof paper), top it there and then and stick the whole lot in the oven. It won't be as nice, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

using semolina as a "lubricant" on your pizza stone and pizza peel was a revelation to me! No longer struggle with the dough sticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭timmaii

These articles are usually worth a read, this week's one just happens to be on pizzas. http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/sep/08/how-to-cook-perfect-pizza

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Would you get semolina in the likes of Dunnes or Tesco? I dont think I've seen it there before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

JohnK wrote: »
    Would you get semolina in the likes of Dunnes or Tesco? I dont think I've seen it there before.

You can get semolina anywhere. Shamrock brand is the one I see pretty much everywhere. Works great and you only need a little bit. I also make fresh pasta and you need it for it to stop sticking too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Thanks BailMeOut I'll take a closer look the next time I'm shopping :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Addlor

It is a wonderful post. Thanks Honey-ec for your idea. I will try to follow it. I will try to make it at home. Keep posting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

In the Jamie Oliver recipe, is the olive oil for flavour or does it help to crisp the base?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

BailMeOut wrote: »
    You can get semolina anywhere. Shamrock brand is the one I see pretty much everywhere. Works great and you only need a little bit. I also make fresh pasta and you need it for it to stop sticking too.

You can use coarse cornmeal, or polenta, either. That's what I use.

I have a pizza tip - I usually make pizza dough after I've done a load in the dishwasher, and I put the oiled bowl with the dough in, covered with clingfilm, into the empty dishwasher. It rises really well from the heat, in just 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Might be a silly question but I've no idea, can you make a wholemeal/brown base for pizza?

Jemmy wrote: »
    Might be a silly question but I've no idea, can you make a wholemeal/brown base for pizza?

Yes but I wouldn't recommend using more than half wholemeal flour.

Advertisement