Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit Of Advice

Options
  • 22-08-2011 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

hi,im asking on behalf of my wife,she bakes almost everyday of the week and has just lately expressed an interest in selling to our local garages,shops etc. is this feasible from home,what does she need to know.All new to us.Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

There is a lot involved with Health and Safety (isn't everything nowadays) and the Food Safety Authority of Ireland alone. I had a friend who wanted to do the same but was not allowed use the kitchen in her own house. Had to have a separate building in garden with different facilities such as fridges, cookers/ovens, sinks, waste disposal and utensils storage from existing domestic items. The end result was that the additional cost was not worth it to her.

I am not well versed at all in this field but I do know it is anything but straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ezspeeder

She could talk to some of the people that sell at farmers markets and see what it took for them to get going. Food safety stuff can be quite demanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

The HSE approval would depend on what kind of thing she is baking, as some foods are much lower risk than others, so the best thing to do is contact her local EHO and have an inspection. If it's just buns, bread, cakes (without fresh fruit and cream) it's not too difficult to get approved, but she's best off speaking with her local EHO.

She'd also want to be looking into product liability insurance, and of course doing a bit of market research to check that there is a market for her products, what kind of price these places want to pay for baked goods etc and if there would be profit in it for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

puddie77 wrote: »
    hi,im asking on behalf of my wife,she bakes almost everyday of the week and has just lately expressed an interest in selling to our local garages,shops etc. is this feasible from home,what does she need to know.All new to us.Thanks

I know at least 3 people who sell various baked goods at Farmers Markets/Car Boot Sales etc, and all they are required to do is display their HACCP cert at their stands.

Probably best to talk to the HSE though about this!

Advertisement