Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C&C one from Conor Pass

• 22-08-2011 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭

Taken on a recent trip up Conor Pass. It was a windy day and I just took a quick snap of my daughter feeling the freshness up there!

I'm not sure what I was looking to achieve in the processing of this, I'm very much a novice when it comes to Lightroom...is it obvious?:)

6061543438_36ff30a9b0.jpg
    Untitled by TheAtomium, on Flickr

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

113 views and not one opinion, the Photography forum obviously isn't as good as what it used to be for C&C.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Maybe the clue is in this line "I am not sure what I was trying to achieve" if you dont know what you want from a shot then viewers are not going to know either, you would have been better just asking for c&c :D Anyway for what its worth here are my thoughts and observations.

The high key effect doesnt appeal to me in this instance, it really looks like the sky is blown.

The composition is ok though if she was just angled slightly so that there was a view of her face, probably difficult with being so near to the edge.

Other than that an ok shot maybe reprocess it without the blown bits?

Maybe the clue is in this line "I am not sure what I was trying to achieve" if you dont know what you want from a shot then viewers are not going to know either, you would have been better just asking for c&c :D Anyway for what its worth here are my thoughts and observations.

The high key effect doesnt appeal to me in this instance, it really looks like the sky is blown.

The composition is ok though if she was just angled slightly so that there was a view of her face, probably difficult with being so near to the edge.

Other than that an ok shot maybe reprocess it without the blown bits?

thanks for the feedback. Bits blown out all over the place alright, unfortunately the image was not shot in RAW so recovery looks limited.

Despite me not knowing what I wanted to achieve I was just looking for the opinions of others (with perhaps more experience) to see what they would add to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

No problem! Keep posting and keep snapping its the only way to learn, even
    though c&c can be a bit thin on the ground sometimes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Personally i think the top half is way overblown, it really detracts from what could be a great picture.

But its a good idea composition wise.

I like the pose, but as Rainbowsend said, maybe tilted more so we could see her face.
    I like the desaturation, it saves the picture slightly. But shoot in RAW and you can save the overblown sky to some extent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

113 views and not one opinion, the Photography forum obviously isn't as good as what it used to be for C&C.

thats usually a bad sign :D

As a previous poster said the whites on the top are blown out but the pose and idea were good. the light I fear was against you on the day as it looks cloudy.

sheesh wrote: »
    thats usually a bad sign :D

As a previous poster said the whites on the top are blown out but the pose and idea were good. the light I fear was against you on the day as it looks cloudy.

I was afraid of that too!
    Yeah, light was all over the place, very windy and clouds moving over the mountains, light rain too. Outside the shot there was an active two year old (her brother) I was trying to keep an eye on too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

It is probably the day that it was taken but the colours are all very faded. The green could be bolder. Maybe B&W could work.

It is probably the day that it was taken but the colours are all very faded. The green could be bolder. Maybe B&W could work.

true, or it could have been caused by my fecking around with the various options in Lightroom:)
    Sometimes I can't show any sign of self-restraint when working with photo editing software, it comes with experience I guess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

What I do like is that it looks cold and the movement from the hair shows the strength of the wind.

What were you trying to achieve here? If you go into any package and just fiddle without a goal or vision then you are very unlikely to be happy very often. The other thing is that if you don't understand your software or have a workflow, then when you hit on something you like fiddling you will not be able to reproduce it next time and you have not learned anything.

In a nutshell, I like the idea here but the technical faults are too overwhelming without a good reason to justify them.

• Advertisement

CabanSail wrote: »
    What I do like is that it looks cold and the movement from the hair shows the strength of the wind.

What were you trying to achieve here? If you go into any package and just fiddle without a goal or vision then you are very unlikely to be happy very often. The other thing is that if you don't understand your software or have a workflow, then when you hit on something you like fiddling you will not be able to reproduce it next time and you have not learned anything.

In a nutshell, I like the idea here but the technical faults are too overwhelming without a good reason to justify them.

yes, you're right on all counts. I was not sure what I was trying to achieve and I am also fairly rusty/clueless on Lightroom. I just don't get the time to get to know it on a regular basis.
    My D80 is feeling very lonely lately, rarely used. Not enough hours in the day!

NOTE: This pis wasn't taken with the D80 actually, was taken with a Fuji compact.

Advertisement