Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest points jump in 2011?

• 22-08-2011 11:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

I was pretty shocked to see my course, Computer Science and Information Technology in NUI Galway (GY350), skyrocket 65 points from 325 to 390 this year. It was 315 the year I started it (2009).

Did any other course increase in points by such a high number? I'm scanning through the paper comparing the 2011 and 2010 columns and can't seem to spot anything as extreme as that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭DaBomb

I was pretty shocked to see my course, Computer Science and Information Technology in NUI Galway (GY350), skyrocket 65 points from 325 to 390 this year. It was 315 the year I started it (2009).

Did any other course increase in points by such a high number? I'm scanning through the paper comparing the 2011 and 2010 columns and can't seem to spot anything as extreme as that.

well it will be dropping in round two as i was offered it but am taking my level 7 instead :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

DaBomb wrote: »
    well it will be dropping in round two as i was offered it

How do you mean? There was no second round in GY350 last year as they filled up the course to capacity (50) on the first round.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭chiloutus

Well I was going for the same course as OP and didn't get it! 360 points just didn't cut it! Fuming at the moment!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭DaBomb

How do you mean? There was no second round in GY350 last year as they filled up the course to capacity (50) on the first round.

well if theres 50 spaces, i got offered one a didn't accept there will be one free space

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

Environmental Engineering in NUIG went up 80 I believe, I was scanning for huge jumps and that was the highest I came across!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭GSI

DIT: Engineering - Computer and Communications

2010-310
    2011-430

120 points increase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Ash_M wrote: »
    Environmental Engineering in NUIG went up 80 I believe, I was scanning for huge jumps and that was the highest I came across!

You're right Ash. That's mad.

One thing I've noticed is that, on the whole, engineering courses have dropped in popularity in most colleges except NUI Galway. I imagine this is mostly due to the new Engineering Building. That would have turned the opinions of a lot of people who went to the Open Day. It's a really impressive building. Jealous that I probably won't have any lectures in there.
    GSI wrote: »
    DIT: Engineering - Computer and Communications

2010-310
    2011-430

120 points increase

Sweet jesus. Another IT course rockets up in points...

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭higgz

NanoScience TCD (+65)
    Biz+Computing TCD (+45)
    MSISS TCD (+5) my course, I expected a much bigger jump

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭osullic

Economics and mathematical science in UL went from 385 in 2010 to 510 this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Agricultural science in WIT jumped by 100!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Missed out on my first choice because of it...
    Granted it only jumped 20 but it going back and forth by 5 points over last few years, for it to just 20 caught me by surprise,
    Missed out by 5 points due to it :/
    My other course jumped 10 so I was 5 points above that,
    Accepted it anyway,
    Nice course :)

Friend in LIT doing a course Event Management though,
    300 last year, 350 this...
    Madness like...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

Dental Technology in TCD went from 360 to 460!!!

Was going to apply for it next year but I only have 420. Pretty gutted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Danny Dwyer

Ash_M wrote: »

Even though the 1st offers were 390 in 2010 for Env Eng in NUIG, if you look at the final round offer points from the NUIG web site, the entry points were 310. So a leap to 470 is something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Computer science, linguistics and French in TCD dropped a **** tonne of points,550 to 435

The bcl/maitrise in UCD went up by like ten I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 yannfann

Chuchoter wrote: »
    Computer science, linguistics and French in TCD dropped a **** tonne of points,550 to 435

The bcl/maitrise in UCD went up by like ten I think

A friend of mine is doing that course in Trinity, and for the last 5 years or so it's been going from 430-540-430-540- to 435 this year. It's an odd one alright xD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Commerce (International) with French in UCC jumped 55 points from 445-500. That's quite a huge jump as the media was reporting that business courses "dropped sharply".

Advertisement