Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard or Nightsaver

Options
  • 22-08-2011 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭

Hi there.

I currently have the Domestic - Nightsaver tariff on our ESB in a rented apartment. I would like to change to either the Supersaver or Supersaver Nightsaver option, but I'm not sure which is better for me.

Currently I barely use electricity during the nightsaver hours, although during the winter I'll be using it for one or two storage heaters. Would this alone make it worthwhile getting the nightsaver tariff? And is there a charge for changing from Nightsaver back to normal rates?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Vojera,

I would recommend you update your price plan to the Supersaver Nightsaver - I can do this for you if you like (just PM me your details) or you can ring 1850 30 50 90 and an agent can take care of it over the phone.
    Vojera wrote:
    Currently I barely use electricity during the nightsaver hours, although during the winter I'll be using it for one or two storage heaters. Would this alone make it worthwhile getting the nightsaver tariff? And is there a charge for changing from Nightsaver back to normal rates?

Yes, there is a charge involved - see here for details. If you'll be using night storage heaters, that should certainly make the Nightsaver tariff worthwhile. We would recommend the Nightsaver if you use at least 24% of your total usage within the designated night-rate hours (12am - 9am in summertime, and 11pm - 8am in wintertime). That would equate to using about 3 to 4 units per night, where you have average annual usage of approx. 5,300 kWhs.

If you're not sure what would use up that amount of units, our Appliance Calculator may be of help. See also the following section on our website: 'What is one unit?'. Night storage heaters generally use between 1.5 and 3 units for every hour they're active, depending on the individual heater. A 2kW heater would use 2 units per hour, for instance.

If you have any further questions I'll be happy to help.

Thanks,

David.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

That's great David, thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kalinaz

Hi,
    My my night saver worked perfectly. Last week i have decided to adjust the clock and moved it to +2 position. now night saver works only for 1.5h. could someone advise how to reset the meter? 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭EI: Aoife

Hi Kalinaz,

The timeswitch that is put in the property by ESB Networks, when a NightSaver meter is installed, can only be adjusted by a technician from ESB Networks. If you were able to make an adjustment, you must have an additional timer for your own heating system.  This should not impact on your meter and the day and night rates. Unfortunately, we would be unable to advise on a timer that was not installed by ESB Networks.

Our NightSaver functions from 11pm to 8am in the winter time and from midnight to 9am in the summer time. You need to check the time clock on your meter and see what time it says. If this time is incorrect then we will need to send out a technician to fix it.  If you wish to do this, please send us a private message and we can organise this for you. We would require your account number, full name and address, date of birth or phone number to check into your account for you.

Kind regards,
    Aoife M

Advertisement