Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quincentary bridge and University Rd roadworks

Options
  • 22-08-2011 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Avoid the new bridge its chaos there both ways due to roadworks, I never saw anything in the papers about the new bridge works only University Road, who in the Council would sanction two main roads to the West being worked on at the same time. University road is also a no go area. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just to clarify, you mean the big bridge between Newcastle and Terryland or bridge by Cathedral?

Title change from "New bridge traffic chaos" to "Quincentary bridge and University Rd roadworks" to point to the affected areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Its the Quincentary bridge over the Corrib, the one at the Cathedral is chaos as well due roadworks on University road

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

I can confirm (by looking out my office window) that the Quincentenary bridge traffic coming from Terryland towards the University has been very heavy all morning with stationary traffic starting about 200-300 metres before you even get to the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

ive been stuck in it the last 45 mins, just changed my plans so i dont have to go near it for the rest of the day.it'll be a disaster area come 4.30 - 5 oclock

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I phoned City Hall and was told they are re-aligning the footpath ffs why do they need to cause such traffic jams when University road is also being worked on, I just travelled from the Westside to the Eastside and the traffic is bumper to bumper from Newcastle Petrol station all the way up the dual carraigeway to the Tuam road, its a disgrace surely this could be done in the evening or night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Drove over the bridge from Newcastle to Terryland and it was backed up in the other direction, just one lane past Topaz.

University Rd is really bad.

Biko can you or anyone on the board recall hearing about roadworks on the bridge ,I cant I only heard about University road

This isn't really the result of roadworks per se....

It's the result of the ever increasing number of cars on the road coupled with the fact there aren't enough River Crossings

We might not get the by pass but even another crossing out by the major industries on the east side over the River out towards the Moycullen road and cutting across to Knocknacarra would go a long way to solving it.

It wouldn't have to anywhere near the scale of the by pass, it's only going to get worse every month and year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Biko can you or anyone on the board recall hearing about roadworks on the bridge ,I cant I only heard about University road

No. It came as a surprise to the cyclists anyway and we're supposed to be meeting city engineers on the Rahoon Rd and Tuam Rd (Font roundabout) and N6 (Morris roundabout). To my knowledge there was no prior consultation on this and nobody outside the council knows what they are planning to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

On bridge now. We left Briarhill Dunnes at twenty past one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

No way!!! That's mental:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

No way!!! That's mental:eek::eek:

We would be far quicker walking!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

How is the Docks, is traffic suffering trust side as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I drove from Ballybane -> Knocknacarra about 2 hrs ago via the docks.
    Traffic was busy but moving. It slowed down after the railway bridge on Lough Atalia Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

There are four bridges across the Corrib

1. Quincentenary Bridge, disrupted for the next eight weeks seeminly because the CITY COUNCIL have decided to carry out roadworks.
    2. Salmon Weir Bridge, disrupted for the next week or so because the CITY COUNCIL have decided to carry out roadworks at University Road at the exact same time as the ones above.
    3. O'Brien's Bridge. Now more or less cut off from cars going from east to west of the city since the introduction of pedestrianisation.
    4. Wolfe Tone Bridge. The CITY COUNCIL have said that this bridge is unable to cope with 11,000 cars a day as things stand. Add in the long tailbacks at Lough Atalia and the 'missing lane' due to the Art House cinema (who got a free site from the CITY COUNCIL) and this area is already chaotic for people driving across town in the evenings.

There's a common thread here folks.

Do the people at City Hall ever think out their actions in advance? Or think that it might be a good idea to tell the poor motorists / taxpayers what they intend doing?

Piss-up, brewery, couldn't ... come to mind.

Oh, and the schools are back on Friday. Lovely timing folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

i have to take the university road route home at 5 oclock.. is it very bad?

Celty where did you see that the bridge would take eight weeks, that would be crazy to live with this traffic over eight weeks

Took this from City Council website has to be a joke

Roads and Traffic

A properly managed road network is essential for the balanced movement of pedestrians, wheelchair users, cyclists, public transport and goods.

The Roads Section work in partnership with public transport providers and other agencies in developing integrated and sustainable transportation policies.

Transportation and Infrastructure - Strategic Policy Commitee

http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/180811_01.html
    Galway City Council - Phase 1 of N6 Improvement Scheme

18 August 2011
    Works begin on Monday in Newcastle Area
    Galway City Council’s Transportation Unit has appointed John Madden and Sons Ltd. to undertake Phase 1 of the Bothar na dTreabh (N6) Multi-Modal Corridor Improvement Scheme.
    This phase consists of the refurbishment of the N6/N59 (Newcastle Road) junction to improve pedestrian and cycle facilities. This phase will also involve replacing the current traffic lights at the Newcastle end of the Quincentenary Bridge in order to integrate them with the Urban Traffic Management Centre (UTMC).
    Sections of the footways and cycle-ways along the N6 between the Browne (UHG) and Font Roundabouts (Tuam Road) will also be resurfaced.
    Works will commence at the Newcastle Road junction on Monday, August 22nd and will last for approximately 8 weeks. Some delays may be experienced by motorists over the period of the works.
    Galway City Council wishes to apologise for any delays that may be encountered and greatly appreciates your understanding.
    The Salmon Weir works are unfortunately timed but perhaps they couldn't wait until the other work is finished as the schools will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Thank f*ck I'm working out of town for most of this week!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

celty wrote: »
    4. Wolfe Tone Bridge. The CITY COUNCIL have said that this bridge is unable to cope with 11,000 cars a day as things stand.

Ehhh, the Wolfe Tone ??? thats more like 25000 a day normally.

The traffic counter data was removed in the last year (at the Corpos instigation I'll wager :) ) but not before the data was posted on Boards Here

If you think it is bad in Newcastle now just wait till the NUIG students are back slap in the middle of the roadworks. Why the corpo cannot do 24 hour working on a key junction like Newcastle Road/Quincentery Bridge I will never know.

They do but they don't care do they!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

A bit off topic but has anyone noticed that the red traffic lights at the Briarhill junction heading from the airport into town are in the shape of love hearts????

What's the story with these??:confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

OMG 3 hours go across town and back , Who in Galway City Council is the head GOBSH!TE up there that has the city to stand still , we get the name on the Traffic Chaos raodwork every where , Westside , Bothar le Chéile Restriction
    Old Seamus Quirke Road out side NUIG Nunsisland and by the docks

Coup the F*-k on please , this is one biggest joke i seen , this would not happen any outher city in the EU but Galway

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Celty where did you see that the bridge would take eight weeks, that would be crazy to live with this traffic over eight weeks

Took this from City Council website has to be a joke

Roads and Traffic

A properly managed road network is essential for the balanced movement of pedestrians, wheelchair users, cyclists, public transport and goods.

The Roads Section work in partnership with public transport providers and other agencies in developing integrated and sustainable transportation policies.

Transportation and Infrastructure - Strategic Policy Commitee

Storm 10,

I heard from a Council staffer today that the works will take eight weeks. That is from Newcastle to Briarhill and not just at the crossroads in Newcastle. I heard of someone who took 90 minutes to get across town at 3.30pm today so God knows what it was like at 5ish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I cycled on my pedal push bike earlier through the scourge of exhaust fumes.
    Motor traffic backed up on the N6 from Ballybane roundabout west to Newcastle road and other associated feeder routes :D and guess what, I estimated 8 out of 10 of the non-commercial vehicles were single occupancy.

We should add the Headford Rd roundabout to the list of things tourists need to see. When conquering it earlier, in the space of 90 seconds I saw 3 motorists bumping into each other and not in the gentle manner either. It was like a dodgem car circus.

oh and there is zero accountability in City Hall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Oh and the Council or their contracters have seen fit to erect big temporary signage on footpaths to warn motorists (exclusively) of roadworks ahead.
    No advance notice given of closed footpaths or any safe diversion provided.
    Appalling.

snubbleste wrote: »
    I cycled on my pedal push bike earlier through the scourge of exhaust fumes.
    Motor traffic backed up on the N6 from Ballybane roundabout west to Newcastle road and other associated feeder routes :D and guess what, I estimated 8 out of 10 of the non-commercial vehicles were single occupancy.

We should add the Headford Rd roundabout to the list of things tourists need to see.
    When conquering it earlier, in the space of 90 seconds I saw 3 motorists bumping into each other and not in the gentle manner either. It was like a dodgem car circus.

oh and there is zero accountability in City Hall.

Exactly. Good point. Maybe someone should start a thread about all the worst things in Galway they don't put in the tourist guidebooks!

And wouldn't it be great to have a job at the top in City Hall. You can do what you want, seemingly, when you want, without any regard for the public and give them zero advance information or warning.

Amazing, really.

It wouldn't take a genius or a planner to tell them it would cause chaos to have three forms of roadworks going on in the same area to the west of the city centre at the same time.

But they never seem to think, now do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

celty wrote: »
    It wouldn't take a genius or a planner to tell them it would cause chaos to have three forms of roadworks going on in the same area to the west of the city centre at the same time.

But they never seem to think, now do they?

I'm no more amused than the rest of ye - even coming down Wellpark at 5:45 today was reminiscent of 2007.

But in fairness, we don't know what caused them to be doing three sets of r/w at the same time. Has anyone actually asked the council to explain, instead of just doing the keyboard warrior thing?

GalwayNews did put the notice referred to on their website on the 18th. We don't know if they also submitted it to the Advertiser or Indo (I just checked, neither of them printed it, doesn't mean it wasn't submitted .. it's not the sort of news that would sell advertising space).

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

JustMary wrote: »
    But in fairness, we don't know what caused them to be doing three sets of r/w at the same time. Has anyone actually asked the council to explain, instead of just doing the keyboard warrior thing?

1. Seamus Quirke Road: Coffeys are months behind schedule. The Council did not include penalty clauses or an ultimate completion date in contract.

2. Quincentenary Bridge: Part of the scheme to remove the roundabouts. Presumably the money needs to be spent in the current financial year.

3. University Road: Same as above???

The Council said for years roadworks have to be done in good weather. They also said they could not be done at night. Yet a few years ago, they managed to do part of the Headford Road at night.

As Celty pointed out above, it's just bad management.

And JustMary, how does one ask the Council to explain? They won't answer questions from councillors at meetings, what makes you think they feel accountable to the public?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

this comes to mind.....

falling-down_52.jpg

So I'll be taking the rotar tomorrow...wednesday wet, so it'll be mayhem...falling down

bike-commuters-on-bridge-with-heavy-traffic.jpg

• Advertisement

Musha,

I thought of that film today myself :)

Michael Douglas stuck in traffic, before going ballistic. Hopefully there's nobody like that on Quincentenary Bridge this week

:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement