Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quincentary bridge and University Rd roadworks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
    on my zippy scoot from knocknacarra to renmore in 10mins..and back again in 12mins
    same as previously mentioned..seen many cars single occupancy

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Get pro-active and let them know the mess they are creating;

- Phone and complain to City Council roads dept

-Bombard the facebook page "Galway Traffic Forum" with messages

-Call the city councillors, pester them when you're stuck in traffic

Unless we all complain then the council officials will think "nobody is complaining so there is no problem doing this"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Guy from Council on Galway Bay FM and he says the traffic is like this every year at this time, the road works did not cause all the problems yesterday, just shows they are living on a different planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Guy from Council on Galway Bay FM and he says the traffic is like this every year at this time, the road works did not cause all the problems yesterday, just shows they are living on a different planet.

What a crock of BS!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭carmex21

Hi,
    Is it as bad today / now? I have to head to the M6 from Westside...hmmmm!
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

snubbleste wrote: »
    oh and there is zero accountability in City Hall.
    Are you surprised? Its the same throughout the Civil service.
    1. Seamus Quirke Road: Coffeys are months behind schedule. The Council did not include penalty clauses or an ultimate completion date in contract.
    That just says it all. Public service incompetence at its best, yet they all have a guaranteed job for life and a massive undeserved unearned pension. No wonder the country's f&*£$d.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

1. Seamus Quirke Road: Coffeys are months behind schedule. The Council did not include penalty clauses or an ultimate completion date in contract.
    Did we get a confirmation on this before? It seems like the mother of all oversights and I remember someone coming on before to say that all standard CIF contracts will have this in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I moved back to Galway at Christmas and my main requirement was to find a job on the same side of the city that I live on. Having commuted from Barna to Parkmore and Oranmore there was no way I was going to put myself through that again. When I read about roadworks on the bridge or the mess that the cross-town traffic is every evening I thank my lucky stars I don't have to deal with it any more.

Sadly the powers-that-be couldn't sort out the river crossings when there was money available. Now that we're broke I can't see the situation changing :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Malice wrote: »
    I moved back to Galway at Christmas and my main requirement was to find a job on the same side of the city that I live on. Having commuted from Barna to Parkmore and Oranmore there was no way I was going to put myself through that again. When I read about roadworks on the bridge or the mess that the cross-town traffic is every evening I thank my lucky stars I don't have to deal with it any more.

Sadly the powers-that-be couldn't sort out the river crossings when there was money available. Now that we're broke I can't see the situation changing :(.

Malice, not only do the City Council 'not sort it out', they make a bad situation ten times worse by putting on three seperate roadworks within minutes of each other ... all in areas crucial to people trying to get home to the Westside / Knocknacarra in the evenings.

It's ridiculous how the people who make such dreadful decisions have jobs for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The bridge is totally at a standstill again with traffic backed up to the Tuam road again, this is beyond a joke at this stage and someone has to take responsibilty for this mess, the amount of cars turning around from the jam is just an accident waiting to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Storm 10 wrote: »
    The bridge is totally at a standstill again with traffic backed up to the Tuam road again, this is beyond a joke at this stage and someone has to take responsibilty for this mess, the amount of cars turning around from the jam is just an accident waiting to happen.

Agreed, some eejit doing a u-turn on the ring road almost crashed into me :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

Are you surprised? Its the same throughout the Civil service.

That just says it all. Public service incompetence at its best, yet they all have a guaranteed job for life and a massive undeserved unearned pension. No wonder the country's f&*£$d.

Is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

lucianot wrote: »
    Is this true?

Are you seriously asking if this is true?:D

YES

sealgaire wrote: »
    Are you seriously asking if this is true?:D

YES

Yes, sorry. I wanted to confirm my worst fear, that the same thing that happened at the Moneenageisha cross happened again here.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

45 mins to get from Topaz Bohermore to Topaz Newcastle this afternoon.

buzz11 wrote: »
    45 mins to get from Topaz Bohermore to Topaz Newcastle this afternoon.

:eek:, that's less than a 15 minute walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 liabhroidi

all those roadworks were flagged on the Advertiser Facebook page last Thursday. big discussion on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goalscoringhero

lucianot wrote: »
    Yes, sorry. I wanted to confirm my worst fear, that the same thing that happened at the Moneenageisha cross happened again here.

I cannot see the parallels to Moneenageisha to be honest. Would you care to explain?
    However, I do sympathize with the motorists, having these roadworks carried out at the same time is bad planning to put it mildly.

Time to get on your bikes, folks. If ye can't change the world, change yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

I don't fancy cycling in from Corrandulla with my 2 kids on my back ,come Friday for school.Any clue as to when this will be finished? It will be chaos once the schools are back.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I don't fancy cycling in from Corrandulla with my 2 kids on my back ,come Friday for school.Any clue as to when this will be finished? It will be chaos once the schools are back.

Are you really telling us there are no schools in Corrandulla, or between there and Galway city?

• Advertisement

JustMary- no I'm definitely not telling you that. My kids were too settled in their school by the time we moved out here. They would've been terribly unsettled at the time by moving school. That plus my area of work meant that it was best to keep them in school in Salthill. Therfore, I hope that the road works are finished by the time school starts on Friday. Hope that clears it up for you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

JustMary wrote: »
    Are you really telling us there are no schools in Corrandulla, or between there and Galway city?

I don't think the poster said there were no schools in Corrandulla or between there and Galway City!!
    It is not inconceivable to think that some people who work in Galway but live outside of Galway city would drop their kids to school in Galway :)
    Perhaps they have family in Galway who take over the afterschool care which would not be feasible if their kids went to school where they live....... Obviously, this may not be the case but there are many reasons why perhaps people bring their kids into town schools

EDIT: just saw Ger's response which explains why this family choose to school their kids in town..... Backs up what I mean

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I still can't get over the overwhelming amount of one-person occupancy cars. I think Galwegians need a serious change of mindset.

zarquon, if you think it's less than a 15 minute walk from cemetery cross to topaz newcastle..I'll meet up with you this weekend and we'll walk it together as fast as we can to test your theory :cool:

In the ideal world we would've afforded a house in Shantalla/Highfield at the time. Then we could have walked to school/work. Anyways- back to topic- does anyone have any clue as to when this madness should end?Trying to figure whether to camp out on Thursday evening by the school!!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

I doubt it'll be done by then, we were an hour and twenty minutes from Terryland to Newcastle again today, my Nan nearly lost it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The galwaycity.ie website says the roadworks will last for eight weeks from yesterday. Now you know.
    Oh and they are doing the N6 section from the Westside roundabout east to the Tuam Rd roundabout. Much excitement.

I cannot see the parallels to Moneenageisha to be honest. Would you care to explain?
    However, I do sympathize with the motorists, having these roadworks carried out at the same time is bad planning to put it mildly.

Time to get on your bikes, folks. If ye can't change the world, change yourself!

Paying for a work then having to pay extra to have it redesigned because it didn't work in the first place?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

It is not inconceivable to think that some people who work in Galway but live outside of Galway city would drop their kids to school in Galway :)
    Perhaps they have

Yes but why should other people or their children be inconvenienced, or delayed, or endangered, to facilitate this? One might reasonably take the view that if the state has provided an expensive school and teaching resources near where someone lives then they should use it rather than be placing the burden of avoidable traffic congestion on everybody else.

If people don't want to use their local schools then perhaps they should be required to pay the full costs of the education they have just turned down?

Seems only fair

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

I'm working out in Parkmore and living the far side of Knocknacarra (near Cappagh), yesterday it took an hour and a half to get home at 4 in the afternoon, I was told to avoid Headford and the bridge, I went through mervue and town absolute disaster!!!

Traffic management in Galway City is a fookin joke, just put up traffic lights anywhere it suits and use the rest of their budget for roadworks before the end of the year on roads that don't need any work done at the worst times! (Schools are back Friday!)

Why there getting rid of roundabouts I don't know, any experience I have had with the new Moneenaghesh (spelling) junction has been terrible, traffic in all directions all the time!!!!

The council don't give a sh!t about what the motorists of Galway have to say about traffic management in the city.

End of rant.

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »

zarquon, if you think it's less than a 15 minute walk from cemetery cross to topaz newcastle..I'll meet up with you this weekend and we'll walk it together as fast as we can to test your theory :cool:

It's approximately a mile, i've walked it many times. If you can't walk a mile in 15 mins then perhaps you should join me for your own fitness :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement