Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quincentary bridge and University Rd roadworks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

Ciarán Hayes was on galwaybayfm early to day , tell people there no problem with TRAFFIC , he say was due to to many coming in to town buy school books and so on ,that was the problem (sales , jobs , taxes , rates ) are you tell people not come to galway ? ....

he ask if people could ... Not sure as guy in car behind me started to blow his horny ... but again long Qs of cars in the city again today , Ciarán Hayes you sould come out your office and try to drive around the place ... its becoming a joke i been told my my boss that some skool are back from this wed coming ... (that have build up snow days ) it summer time , on the interveiw he say no work can be done at night due noise ... where did i see that be done befor ...down by court house . University Road and the Newcastle junction at the end of the Quincentenary Bridge as well as at Séamus Quirke Road (last been the biggest joke in ireland , 4 paddys brest feeding there sticks at 16 30 today ... now there new pot hole on dominick st where it was done few weeks ago ...

Hayes many want get in two your car and do some traveling around the city ... not behind ur desk ...leve the roundabouts , we dont want lights , could some one time it befor thay change over to lights

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Really feel for all those who are struggling crossing the city, I did it everyday for a number of years and it was pure, stifling, pointlessly slow hell.

I'm now commuting Loughrea to Parkmore, so if I take the motorway I go through a total of 3 roundabouts and one set of traffic lights. This part of the journey, about a mile by my reckoning, can (and will again when the schools are back) take as long as the other 19 or so miles of the journey.

I've tried finding someone to car pool with but no joy, and any commuter bus from Loughrea doesn't go near that side of the city - if anyone has any suggestions, I will gladly take them on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

zarquon wrote: »
    It's approximately a mile, i've walked it many times. If you can't walk a mile in 15 mins then perhaps you should join me for your own fitness :)

I've also walked it many a time. It takes 20 minutes.
    Google says it is 1.9km(1.18 miles) and gives approx 23 minutes to walk it, excluding having to stop at junctions, cos sometimes motorists have a right of way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 OxiMoron

For the 2nd straight evening it took me over 1 hour and 30 mins to get across town. I would be almost in Dublin if I had turned left instead of right!

Day one I tried the Bridge and as we all know that was chaos.
    Day two went across Wolftone bridge and sat in traffic from GMIT all the way to Threadneedle street. Great.

I say we all should all be honking our horns while we sit in these jams. I am pretty sure that if the traffic jams through town and all the people queueing around the Galway shopping centres leaned on their horns while they waited, we would make a pretty big noise and just someone, somewhere, might realise how pissed off everyone is with this.
    Grrrr, really looking forward to another hour and 30 min drive home. It takes me 14 mins to get to work in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Yes but why should other people or their children be inconvenienced, or delayed, or endangered, to facilitate this? One might reasonably take the view that if the state has provided an expensive school and teaching resources near where someone lives then they should use it rather than be placing the burden of avoidable traffic congestion on everybody else.

If people don't want to use their local schools then perhaps they should be required to pay the full costs of the education they have just turned down?

Seems only fair
    I read your post yesterday and had typed out a response to explain how my sons attend a city school but live some 20+ Km away...........I attend NUIG and they get the train in with me each morning. Train tickets for the 3 of us cost about 230e a month.

I decided against posting my reply yesterday as I really didn't fancy getting into the whole ridiculous argument about life not being fair, and why shouldn't a person send their kids to better schools (in relation to fitting in with their lives etc) even though they were priced out of the area cos of a booming inflated poroperty market......................These kind of discussions can go round and round in ridiculous infinity (only my opinion, so I usually avoid them)

Lo and behold, my eldest son is Leaving Cert in a City school and starts back this morning at 9am for a few hours. I've just received a phonecall from his dad to let me know that the 8.20am train is running an hour late and so he has to drive him into school instead............

Whats even worse is that he is driving a big old massive jeep ( dear god, I can only imagine the filthy looks he will get from those saying he is clogging up the road this morning:D)

Point is: Life is not fair nor perfect as we for the umpteenth time have learnt this morning. I have no faith in CIE so much so, that when I have Uni exams I stay in my parents house in the Westside the night before....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Galwaycyclist-delighted that your travel managment goes well for you. unfortunately I took into consideration the well being of my children while making decisions for their education. Also as I work near Salthill, if I'd sent my children to a local school near Corrandulla I would be on the road even more. Getting them to school and driving a car with just me in it into work. So, please do not judge people, you will usually not have all of the facts. I would be over the moon if there was an efficient public transport system that would allow me to leave my car at home. That seems only fair ,what with the amount of taxes paid that we ought to be entitled to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Anybody know what traffic is like on the bridge at the moment, have to go that way at 1pm.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Anybody know what traffic is like on the bridge at the moment, have to go that way at 1pm.

The footpath is clear at the moment, pedestrian traffic is free-flowing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

I read your post yesterday and had typed out a response to explain how my sons attend a city school but live some 20+ Km away

<snip>

I decided against posting my reply yesterday as I really didn't fancy getting into the whole ridiculous argument about life not being fair, and why shouldn't a person send their kids to better schools

OK lets say we have a system where parents with resources get to cherry pick their schools for free and transport their kids 40km a day (regardless of mode). Under such a system, the first places to suffer are the local schools that don't get to have the kids whose parents happen to have resources. So its a bad idea from the perspective of the education system - it artificially weakens those schools that are already percieved to be "weak". If someone lives in an area should they not be prepared to invest in that area?

I have paid taxes to set up an expensive free education system accross the country. Why should someone, who has already has access to resources, be allowed to use my taxes to educate their children where ever they want? And do so regardless of the direct negative effects for me and my loved ones and my community?

If I am stuck in traffic caused by such lifestyle choices then arguably not only are my education taxes being misused but so are the taxes I paid to provide the roads on the first place. Furthermore in addition to my taxes, I am expected to bear the direct costs to me of being stuck in traffic, the costs to me of not being able to let my own children walk or cycle to school.

What is my motive for tolerating such a situation? Why should anyone who lives in Galway city be expected to tolerate this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

If you had read the post you would note they were priced out of buying a house in the city.
    so your rant about resources and your taxes is unfounded.
    Its not lifestyle we need to change its the public service!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

dunno if is info was posted already, bt here the info from galwaycity.ie:
    Works begin on Monday in Newcastle Area
    Galway City Council’s Transportation Unit has appointed John Madden and Sons Ltd. to undertake Phase 1 of the Bothar na dTreabh (N6) Multi-Modal Corridor Improvement Scheme.

This phase consists of the refurbishment of the N6/N59 (Newcastle Road) junction to improve pedestrian and cycle facilities. This phase will also involve replacing the current traffic lights at the Newcastle end of the Quincentenary Bridge in order to integrate them with the Urban Traffic Management Centre (UTMC).

Sections of the footways and cycle-ways along the N6 between the Browne (UHG) and Font Roundabouts (Tuam Road) will also be resurfaced.

Works will commence at the Newcastle Road junction on Monday, August 22nd and will last for approximately 8 weeks. Some delays may be experienced by motorists over the period of the works.

Galway City Council wishes to apologise for any delays that may be encountered and greatly appreciates your understanding.

wohoooo.

skelliser wrote: »
    If you had read the post you would note they were priced out of buying a house in the city.
    so your rant about resources and your taxes is unfounded.
    Its not lifestyle we need to change its the public service!

With respect why should I or anybody else really care why someone lives somewhere? We have provided services accross the country for everyone. Why should our local services, roads, education etc be available to anyone for free regardless of the fact that they already have their own local services for free?

Especially when the result is a degradation of both localities and the intervening roads infrastructure?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

This highlights the need for the GCOB to be built (as soon as possible before companies start leaving galway), the cross town traffic is clearly greater than people want to acknowledge. I've seen various arguments against it (including it being inferred that I'm an FF property developer for even suggesting it) - but when roadworks one road can bring the whole house of cards down it shows how ridiculous the situation is.

@galwaycyclist........

If you would consider the Dole a major source of money, well then we are a family of "resource"…

With respect why should I or anybody else really care why someone lives somewhere? We have provided services accross the country for everyone. Why should our local services, roads, education etc be available to anyone for free regardless of the fact that they already have their own local services for free?

Especially when the result is a degradation of both localities and the intervening roads infrastructure?

Hold up, are you trying to have a discussion about the merits/demerits of a "free" education system or the traffic chaos in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

OK lets say we have a system where parents with resources get to cherry pick their schools for free and transport their kids 40km a day (regardless of mode). Under such a system, the first places to suffer are the local schools that don't get to have the kids whose parents happen to have resources. So its a bad idea from the perspective of the education system - it artificially weakens those schools that are already percieved to be "weak". If someone lives in an area should they not be prepared to invest in that area?

I have paid taxes to set up an expensive free education system accross the country. Why should someone, who has already has access to resources, be allowed to use my taxes to educate their children where ever they want? And do so regardless of the direct negative effects for me and my loved ones and my community?

If I am stuck in traffic caused by such lifestyle choices then arguably not only are my education taxes being misused but so are the taxes I paid to provide the roads on the first place. Furthermore in addition to my taxes, I am expected to bear the direct costs to me of being stuck in traffic, the costs to me of not being able to let my own children walk or cycle to school.

What is my motive for tolerating such a situation? Why should anyone who lives in Galway city be expected to tolerate this?

Galwaycyclist, you and I agree on many issues relating to transport in Galway as I'm a person who cycles to work most days and leaves the car at home.

But I feel you are picking on the wrong enemy here.
    There are people from the city who had to buy houses ten or 20 miles outside town during the 'boom' years, who still have jobs and grandparents, backup in the city, and therefore feel it is better to have their kids at school in the city, where they can be minded for a couple of hours before the parents finish work, etc.

I've no issue with them.

Our issue should be with the incompetenent city planners who have yet again decided to tear up our roads and close off or restrict key routes, without any regard for ordinary tax payers / road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Guys if you want to argue about where you live and your kids go to school go to another forum, this is getting way off the traffic thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

This issue here is the complete incompetence of the city council.
    Which is a symptom of the wider issue of public service reform.

They are answerable to no one, cannot be fired and thus foist the chaos on the roads we have seen on us just to satistfy spending their annual budgets.

will any of this change? nope

@galwaycyclist i understand you are trying to change peoples attitudes about transport but attacking people who through no fault of there own for where they choose to live is not going to win you any friends. Afterall we live in a free country. You complain about your taxes being wasted but i think you are misguided.
    Its the waste in spending of our taxes by an unaccountable elite is where you should direct your anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

snubbleste wrote: »
    Oh and the Council or their contracters have seen fit to erect big temporary signage on footpaths to warn motorists (exclusively) of roadworks ahead.
    No advance notice given of closed footpaths or any safe diversion provided.
    Appalling.

The footpath is clear at the moment, pedestrian traffic is free-flowing.

So yesterday the signage was obstructing the oppressed pedestrians, but today it's free-flowing. Which is it then?

swine wrote: »
    So yesterday the signage was obstructing the oppressed pedestrians, but today it's free-flowing. Which is it then?

There are two footpaths, that was yesterday, today is well today ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

There are two footpaths, that was yesterday, today is well today ;)

Looks at calender....Jasus he's right ya know!!!!:D

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Guys if you want to argue about where you live and your kids go to school go to another forum, this is getting way off the traffic thread.

I am sorry but in my view where you live and where you work or go to school are a central, unavoidable issue to be faced in tackling traffic in Galway.

If the traffic wasn't there - there would be no problem - so we need to examine why the traffic is there and examine what is driving it.

To answer other posters I haven't attacked anybody. I haven't questioned free education at all. I have questioned the manner in which some people exploit free education and I have asked if this is a good thing. I think it is a perfectly reasonable question.

I have no issue personally with anyone who takes their children to whatever school - we all have a personal duty to do what we think is best for our kids. However other side of that coin is that the rest of us have the same duty. If a particular activity is adversely impacting the rest of us we have a right to ask questions and ask if this is a good thing.

One time it was acceptable for anyone who wanted to smoke in pubs until somebody decided that pub workers had rights too. This is the same type of issue.

Ultimately the question is how we put policies in place that will drive solutions to our traffic problems rather than making them worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I am sorry but in my view where you live and where you work or go to school are a central, unavoidable issue to be faced in tackling traffic in Galway.
    Agree 100%. This is esentially the crux of Galway City's traffic problems.

I am sorry.

Apology accepted (only joking)....:D

As I said earlier discussions like this could go on for infinity so I think it's best to leave it there and respect the wishes of other posters:)

Apology accepted (only joking)....:D

As I said earlier discussions like this could go on for infinity so I think it's best to leave it there and respect the wishes of other posters:)

I am afraid that I disagree. The reason we are stuck in traffic is because these discussions never properly took place and the issues raised were never dealt with. So now, regardless of how threatening these issues may feel for some, we need to have full discussion of them.

Its very easy to be slagging the council all the time but that's not how life really works is it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Well in that case bring in a law that prevents school children from crossing the Corrib on their way to school.

Most secondary school PLACES in the City are west of the Corrib....maybe relax the truanting laws east of the Corrib too now I think of it. :cool:

Places are roughly

WEST Endas 700 + Bish 700 + Salerno 500 + Taylors 400 + Pres 300 + Jes 500 + Marys 500 = 3600 Places.

EAST Mercy 500 + Moneen 400 + Colaiste na Coiribe 300 + Youthreach 100 = 1300 places.

Around 3:1 ratio.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Well in that case bring in a law that prevents school children from crossing the Corrib on their way to school.

Most secondary school PLACES in the City are west of the Corrib....maybe relax the truanting laws east of the Corrib too now I think of it. :cool:

Places are roughly

WEST Endas 700 + Bish 700 + Salerno 500 + Taylors 400 + Pres 300 + Jes 500 + Marys 500 = 3600 Places.

EAST Mercy 500 + Moneen 400 + Colaiste na Coiribe 300 + Youthreach 100 = 1300 places.

Around 3:1 ratio.

Yep this is kind of discussion we need to be having. It would also be nice to map origins and destinations for some of the more fashionable primary schools in the city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Primary schools not so much of a problem ..if we count Briarhill/Bushypark/Rahoon as Galway and 2 for 1 in Salthill there are around 9 east of the Corrib and 11 west.

The biggest by far is Scoil Chaitríona ( technically 2 schools counted as 1) in Renmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

left Parkmore at 3.15 pm, got home (past Barna) at 5 pm. It took me AN HOUR to get from the Tuam Road roundabout down Bothar na dTreabh across the bridge to the Newcastle junction. AN HOUR. And the worst bit? It wasnt actually the roadworks causing it - it was idiot drivers blocking the roundabout at Tescos, running red lights, then having to stop, blocking the exit/lanes for other motorists. The roadworks (at least the ones in Newcastle) were only a tiny problem due to narrowing lanes close to the Newcastle junction.

Now this was day 3 of total chaos - if the council KNOWS that there is dimwit driving behaviour out there aggravated by a bit of roadworks - how difficult would it be to put a guard or two on point duty as to keep traffic moving and punish the morons who think they can ignore any sort of rules of the road causing these massive tailbacks?

• Advertisement

I am afraid that I disagree. The reason we are stuck in traffic is because these discussions never properly took place and the issues raised were never dealt with. So now, regardless of how threatening these issues may feel for some, we need to have full discussion of them.

Its very easy to be slagging the council all the time but that's not how life really works is it?

Sound, argue away to your hearts content then..... I just won't be entertaining you any further on the reasoning for my living outside the City whilst I and my kids are attending school in the City.

I believe in the context of the thread title that posters are fully entitled to take umbrage with the Council for what appears an ill thought out approach to City road/footpath improvement works.

Now, however threatening this issue may feel for some it is painfully clear following the gridlock in Galway that this is a topic which needs discussion especially in light of the fact that this gridlock occurred in the absence of any school traffic

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement