Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quincentary bridge and University Rd roadworks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Yes the road works aren't helping and changing the roundabouts is a pretty stupid decision on the councils behalf...
    further reply from Nuala Nolan
    Angela,
    Know exactly what you are talking about, I am so mad myself at what has happened this week. I is time for public reps to represent the people I voted against taking away the Roundabouts but unfortunately it was out voted...
    Sincerely
    Nuala Nolan
    I don't think roundabouts are a good idea. Aren't there studies that conclude that they are indeed faster for light traffic but worse with heavy traffic.

It will be a pain going to traffic lights, and they will slow us down in light (pardon the pun) traffic, but it will be worth it when we have heavy traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

The traffic volumes arise from a combination of factors such as families shopping for “back to school” items such as school-books and school uniforms, third level students seeking accommodation for the upcoming academic year and also some level of tourist traffic.

say what now?
    So, how many school supply shops are there in Westside or Newcastle, excatly? And every parent decides to do their shopping in the very last week, every day from 2 pm onwards? Really? And tourists? Didnt see a single foreign car on that bridge that day (granted, here may have been irish tourists out there, but I sincerely doubt it).

I am lucky that due to current circumstances I can work part-time from home - thus I am flexible with my leaving times - I thought I'd be smart and left Parkmore around 3 pm, thinking I'd avoid the worst of traffic that way (usually it only gets bad after 4.30). Did that help at all? Did it feck. As I said, almost 2 hours to get from Parkmore past Barna.

The last time traffic was THIS bad was when that person got hit near Terryland and they blocked the entire Headford Road.

SO what do we need to do to get someone in traffic management to cop on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

@AngelaD1972
    Thank you very much for taking time to write that email.
    Fair play to those that do reply.

I purchased the school books and uniforms about 2 months ago when I had the extra few euro.
    Does anybody work in a School Book Shop or Uniform Shop? Has it been mad busy?
    I have been in around town and the shops are that bit more crowded than usual.
    I am dreading next week :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nietski

Well - quite some debate around school runs and their impact on traffic congestion ....

I don't want to anger anyone - just want to ask a simple question:
    Why is it that when schools are out I can drive to work in <10 min and when schools are not out it takes more than 3-4 times that (and this changes exactly on the days where schools end/start) ?

If school runs have nothing to do with this please let me know what is then causing this amazing coincidence ?

Hoping for some enlightenment,
    nietski

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

nietski wrote: »
    Well - quite some debate around school runs and their impact on traffic congestion ....

I don't want to anger anyone - just want to ask a simple question:
    Why is it that when schools are out I can drive to work in <10 min and when schools are not out it takes more than 3-4 times that (and this changes exactly on the days where schools end/start) ?

If school runs have nothing to do with this please let me know what is then causing this amazing coincidence ?

Hoping for some enlightenment,
    nietski
    The reason your journey takes 3-4 times longer when school starts is simply because there are more cars on the road due to parents taking their children to school....... That is kind of the obvious answer!!:)

Now, as for the cause of the traffic chaos this past week the answer to that is a little more complicated because the schools had not started back yet...

The reason seems to be multi faceted but the major cause seems to be the decision to carry out roadworks at several key junctions at the same time:)

• Advertisement

The reason seems to be multi faceted but the major cause seems to be the decision to carry out roadworks at several key junctions at the same time:) of parents to buy school books

FYP to match the Council's logic

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Was in town this morning, there was no one in ABC or the second hand book shop. Where were these parents buying their books? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

Joyces Bookstore did sale in may and june with 10% off and still doing on line , ask the mother next door to me and told was done in june befor that went away , the schools want kids have books befor finish up befor the summer holidays . that new to me but good one , Galway City hall fecked up and wont back down now , my boss told me if it was private company and you fecked up you gone by now ....

next week OMG think time to go on holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭orangebud

anyone see me crash my my bike on the q bridge, looked the right fool but that girl in the red vw was so sexy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Have to drive over that infernal bridge this afternoon. Whats the traffic like at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

my brother in-law lives in london where the traffic is ****e, but he came home for two weeks and he was shocked with the traffic and layout here in galway city, .london is kept moving even in jams, but here you go no where..he said its worse than london.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Quiet as a mouse today, all that trouble over 50m of pavement outside the garage. Only another 10 weeks to go at that rate.

Why they can't work at nights ( bar rockbreaking consawing and rubble removal) is beyond me. The corpo are fcuking sociopathic as well as incompetent. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Took me less than 25 minutes to get from Westside to Athenry this evening. But the great City Council Director of Services would convince me that it's tourists, students, and mammies buying school books who brought traffic to a halt all week ... and not the goddamn roadworks!

Funny how there were no roadworks today (Sunday) but presumably the same amount of tourists, first year students, and proud mammies.

I really feel sorry for people who have to get across town at 'rush hour' (what a joke that concept is in Galway) every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PennyLane88

Headford road was pain in the a** all of last week. Trying to get to work in that, i nearly had to give myself an hour for a 10 minute journey :( I didnt hear anything about the roadworks until midweek.

galah wrote: »
    left Parkmore at 3.15 pm, got home (past Barna) at 5 pm. It took me AN HOUR to get from the Tuam Road roundabout down Bothar na dTreabh across the bridge to the Newcastle junction. AN HOUR. And the worst bit? It wasnt actually the roadworks causing it - it was idiot drivers blocking the roundabout at Tescos, running red lights, then having to stop, blocking the exit/lanes for other motorists. The roadworks (at least the ones in Newcastle) were only a tiny problem due to narrowing lanes close to the Newcastle junction.

Now this was day 3 of total chaos - if the council KNOWS that there is dimwit driving behaviour out there aggravated by a bit of roadworks - how difficult would it be to put a guard or two on point duty as to keep traffic moving and punish the morons who think they can ignore any sort of rules of the road causing these massive tailbacks?

Ya alot people who use that roundabout havent a clue how to use it, changing lanes and cutting others out without a care in the world. Seen some stupid dumb*** driving on that roundabout, but last week took the p1ss. I live off the headford road roundabout, so i have no choice but to use it. Honest to god i was fearful of my life (and my car) when using it last week. Some muppet tried to cut into my lane while i was driving beside her. What a tool. I made sure she knew how p1ssed off i was :D

Suppose ive gone off the topic abit with that rant, but people need to decide what lane they are meant to be in and stick with it while on that roundabout. :mad:

It looks like they are removing the cycle path near the end of the bridge (West side end) to allow a filter lane to go left and then the other two lanes will be for straight on.
    It also looks like they are adding another lane at the other side? (there are road markings).
    Is that what they are doing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Everybody stay well out of Galway next Sunday, 4th September.

Don't come in here whining because you have been warned.

http://ironmanireland.com/local-info/
    From Conamara, Ros an Mhíl, An Spidéal, Na Forbacha or Bearna to Galway City, County East and Vice Versa.

7:00am to 10:00am During these hours the only diversion available will be through Maam Cross,
    An Fhairche(Clonbur), Cong, Headford & Cluain Bú (Cloonboo) Via the R336, R345, R483, R346, R334 & N84.
    We Strongly advise planning journeys in advance so as not to require use of this diversion, due to the extra mileage involved.

10:00am to 2.00pm At this time the Galway – Bearna Road will have been fully reopened. Anyone wishing to travel towards Galway City Centre, Galway City East or Galway County East must use the Quincentenary Bridge as it will be the only bridge available .

From Galway City West to City Centre, City East or County East and vice-versa.

7:00am to 2:00pm The Quincentenary Bridge will be the only bridge available during this period.

2:00pm to 5:00pm The Quincentenary, Salmon Weir & O’Brien’s Bridges will be available.

From Nuns Island, The Claddagh or Small Crane to any location and vice-versa.

7:00am to 2:00pm The only route out of this area will be Via O’Briens Bridge (as Newcastle, St. Mary’s & Lower Salthill Roads and Wolfe Tone Bridge will be closed).

The only route into this area will be Via the Salmon Weir or O’Brien’s Bridge and Gaol Road (as Newcastle, St. Mary’s & Lower Salthill Roads and Wolfe Tone Bridge will be closed).

2:00pm to 5:00pm The Wolfe Tone Bridge will be closed during this time, but all other routes will be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Sniipe wrote: »
    It looks like they are removing the cycle path near the end of the bridge (West side end) to allow a filter lane to go left and then the other two lanes will be for straight on.
    It also looks like they are adding another lane at the other side? (there are road markings).

Its a re-alignment of the footpath and putting down wires for the new intelligent traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Sniipe wrote: »

No this is not what is being done here. They are putting cyclists on road going through the junction on marked cycle lanes. i.e those who wish to continue straight on through the N6 will now use the traffic lights.

Also the possability of Hook turns been introduced for cyclists on all 4 arms of the junction (based on plans seen for other N6 junctions: See page 34 of http://www.galwaycity.ie/GTU/030611_01.pdf and the pdfs for Font and Morris @ the following link http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/180711_01.html)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

With respect why should I or anybody else really care why someone lives somewhere? We have provided services accross the country for everyone. Why should our local services, roads, education etc be available to anyone for free regardless of the fact that they already have their own local services for free?

Especially when the result is a degradation of both localities and the intervening roads infrastructure?

Next time I get a heart attack in Dublin I'll wait until I get to my local hospital in Galway just to appease you.

How stupid does that sound to you?

• Advertisement

Next time I get a heart attack in Dublin I'll wait until I get to my local hospital in Galway just to appease you.

How stupid does that sound to you?

Yes your point is stupid. Its a very poor comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This thread isn't about traffic in general.
    It is about the current roadworks, particularly the bridge and Uni Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

biko wrote: »
    This thread isn't about traffic in general.
    It is about the current roadworks, particularly the bridge and Uni Road.
    what?:eek:you mean its not for pissed of people who are trying to get themselves killed on roundabouts and mammy,s bringing little shakira to school, im kidding biko.;).

Lol, these threads have a tendency to go from a particular issue to encompass a lot more and it derails the thread after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

What's the traffic situation like out there now? Has it eased with the finished works on the University Road?

I headed home for lunch (1pm - 2pm) and on my way towards the headford road there was no traffic, but the opposite direction was fully backed up. I went back to work by bike thankfully it wasn't raining.
    I can't say what it will be like at 5pm - 6pm. But I guess it will be medium traffic going to the headford road, and bumper to bumper in the opposite direction (regardless weather there is ongoing works).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

zarquon wrote: »
    What's the traffic situation like out there now? Has it eased with the finished works on the University Road?

Great Parkmore to Bohermore in 15 minutes :D

I passed earlier. Seems that out of business hours it's fine, they move the cones aside.

biko wrote: »
    Lol, these threads have a tendency to go from a particular issue to encompass a lot more and it derails the thread after a while.

:) Well you can't mention 'traffic' and 'Galway' without referring to the headford road roundabout and sh1te drivers :p

• Advertisement

Anybody pass the N6/N59 junction today? What works are being currently undertaken? Have they started working on the East Bound N6 lane yet?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement