Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quincentary bridge and University Rd roadworks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

Any time for two day ? on the traffic in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

extraice wrote: »
    Any time for two day ? on the traffic in Galway
    :confused: Sorry but I've got no idea what you're asking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Everybody stay well out of Galway next Sunday, 4th September.

Don't come in here whining because you have been warned.

http://ironmanireland.com/local-info/

It'll be Car-mageddon!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Left work around 4 today, and all was well until I got to Bohermore - but again, it seems that the Tesco roundabout is causing most of the problems (went down Bohermore, cause Sean Mulvoy was a disaster zone, and turned right and right again, double-backing on myself to get back to the bridge) - the bridge was empty, so was Newcastle Road from what I could see, and so was Seamus Quirke.

It was JUST the Tesco roundabout, and twats ignoring the traffic lights, pushing their way through, and blocking the exits for everyone else it seems...

Second week in a row - so where are the traffic corps ensuring that at least the people who don't need to be in a jam aren't?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

They appear to have removed the right turn into the university at Wards Corner. The new road markings were only there this morning when I was cycling in to work. Now you just have a right turn arrow from the road into Upper Canal Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭orangebud

did anyone see the car parked on the road outside the G hotel today, it was there for a least 3 hours, was going to to give it a kick the 2nd time i saw it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

ciotog wrote: »
    They appear to have removed the right turn into the university at Wards Corner. The new road markings were only there this morning when I was cycling in to work. Now you just have a right turn arrow from the road into Upper Canal Road.

So where are cyclists supposed to wait if they want to turn into the uni?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭samdeman

orangebud wrote: »
    did anyone see the car parked on the road outside the G hotel today, it was there for a least 3 hours, was going to to give it a kick the 2nd time i saw it
    that car had broken down. we are not all blessed with mechanical skills or AA membership sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

If this is true - the Galway City Engineers deserve a stupidity award! Did you go by that way this morning per chance? Can you confirm this is what they have done here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

If this is true - the Galway City Engineers deserve a stupidity award! Did you go by that way this morning per chance? Can you confirm this is what they have done here?

Another one? They must have a big mantelpiece...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Noticed that as well. Though they've put in a new stop line when you're coming from the university at that junction. Very odd goings-on.
    Take a photo ciotog.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

So where are cyclists supposed to wait if they want to turn into the uni?

Not really that stupid - that road's a cul de sac for motorists with very limited parking (for the marine institute) so there's little need for a right turn there. The primary use of it for the university is for deliveries to the marine institute buildings.

Anybody who has to access the marine institute can still do so using the internal road system from the main gate about 100 yards up the road, where there is (or rather should still be) a right turn.

As for the cyclists, considering most of them will be cycling distances of greater than 1 km, I doubt another 100m will be particularly onerous to use the existing right turn.

IMO something that needs to be done on that road to widen the footpaths a bit (they're very narrow in spots) and especially sort out the is parking situation as it makes the road a bit too narrow considering the combination of road users that tend to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

This seems like a good place to vent...

Mad at myself for not taking the bike today. Wanted to quickly pop over from Dangan to Woodies and back. Traffic on the bridge coming back was backed up to Terryland roundabout. Thought I would be "smart" and circle around the mess via College Rd. Dumb idea. Took over an hour to do a quick errand.

antoobrien wrote: »
    Not really that stupid - that road's a cul de sac for motorists with very limited parking (for the marine institute) so there's little call for a right turn there. The primary use of it for the university is for deliveries to the marine institute buildings.

Anybody who has to access the marine institute can still do so using the internal road system from the main gate about 100 yards up the road, where there is (or rather should still be) a right turn.

As for the cyclists, considering most of them will be cycling distances of greater than 1 km, I doubt another 100m will be particularly onerous to use the existing right turn.

IMO something that needs to be done on that road to widen the footpaths a bit (they're very narrow in spots) and especially sort out the is parking situation as it makes the road a bit too narrow considering the combination of road users that tend to use it.

"Little call" from whom?

Not really that stupid - that road's a cul de sac for motorists with very limited parking (for the marine institute) so there's little call for a right turn there. The primary use of it for the university is for deliveries to the marine institute buildings.
    The road down the canal(Upper Canal Road) is a cul de sac as well. This is the first entrance to the University from the City side - they should be retaining the road layout as it was. There are far more cyclists turning right into that University entrance compared to motorists and cyclists turing right into Upper Canal Road (from University Road). However a lot of pedestrians and cyclists exiting the University wish to continue straight across to Upper Canal Road - any provision been made for them here?

Agree on this

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    "Little call" from whom?

talk about a pedantic pat - how about little need then. I've edited the original post for your benefit.

The road down the canal(Upper Canal Road) is a cul de sac as well.

This is where logic comes into the equation. What's the alternative - go around to presenation road via newcastle rd or the cathedral? Is there a need to send the relatively small amount of right turn traffic on a large round trip.

Take into consideration that there are 2 entrances to the university where cyclists & motorists can cross traffic within 100m. I presume they're closing this one for right turns because there is a specifically designed right turn at the main gate.

For pedestrian access I suggest a Zebra crossing with appropriate traffic calming measures as this is a natural pedestrian crossing point and can be used for access to the Cathedral & the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

was passing Galway shopping centre early on two day , the area of grass out side the SC from roundabout on way to woodkey is all barriers ... is this more roadwork two come ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 OxiMoron

So where did all the traffic go this week?
    I have been getting home in record time this week across QB.
    Did someone manage to get someting done or was it really just people buying school books?

This is where logic comes into the equation. What's the alternative - go around to presenation road via newcastle rd or the cathedral? Is there a need to send the relatively small amount of right turn traffic on a large round trip.
    Don't get your logic here? I am not talking about banning right turns into Upper Canal Road - just asking that provision be retained for cyclists turning right into the University here. Where are the predominate moments here?

For pedestrian access I suggest a Zebra crossing with appropriate traffic calming measures as this is a natural pedestrian crossing point and can be used for access to the Cathedral & the park.
    100% agree - if this was done could then remove the traffic lights between the two University entrances on University Road.

• Advertisement

OxiMoron wrote: »
    So where did all the traffic go this week?
    I have been getting home in record time this week across QB.
    Did someone manage to get someting done or was it really just people buying school books?

All the school books have been bought :D
    The Council have agreed to suspend roadworks on the key routes at peak commuting times.
    The bridge and headford road are backed up since 11:00 this morning.

Don't get your logic here? I am not talking about banning right turns into Upper Canal Road - just asking that provision be retained for cyclists turning right into the University here. Where are the predominate moments here?

My point is that there is a need to have a right turn for Upper Canal Road as there's no alternative but because of the rather big junction up less than 100m up the road there's no need for one into the University (at Wards).

My point is that there is a need to have a right turn for Upper Canal Road as there's no alternative but because of the rather big junction up less than 100m up the road there's no need for one into the University (at Wards).

Yes there is. There is a private dwelling on that road.
    As pointed out, it is heavily used by cyclists. If we were going to go to your logical conclusion, all entrances to the University grounds would be closed except for one.

But there was nothing stopping anybody turning right there in the past i.e Cyclists or Motorists. As it is a Cul de Sac for motorists there is very few right turns here anyhow. The facility should be retained or a new one provided to cater for cyclists who wish to turn right into the University.

talk about a pedantic pat - how about little need then. I've edited the original post for your benefit.

"Little need" or "no need" for whom?

My recollection of entering the University at that point regularly as a cyclist was that it was very convenient for accessing various parts of the campus. I also recall that it was a route used by significant numbers of cyclists.

Cyclists entering at the main gate are routed through a very convoluted internal one-way system.

Once again you appear to be drawing conclusions about what cyclists want or need based on what you say are the requirements of motorised traffic.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

100% agree - if this was done could then remove the traffic lights between the two University entrances on University Road.
    Those lights should be dynamited. They're the classic example of committee thinking: Decide a crossing is needed for the two University entrances, plonk it in an position equally useless to both, look in amazement as (1) people still cross over to Wards in the same unsafe manner and (2) the lights at the hospital junction serve as a perfectly good crossing for anyone using the "main" entrance on University Road.

I think the same thing will happen with cyclists.

If the right turn is a genuinely convenient route for them, they will just continue to use it.

It is the height of ignorance and stupidity to treat cyclists in this manner when "planning" new road layouts with motorised traffic in mind.

So typical of some mindsets in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Left Ballybrit at 12.30pm heading to Newcastle, traffic at a standstill on Sean Mulvoy road, traffic heading past shopping centre in towards Galway at a standstill, Bridge a total mess finally got home at 1.30pm :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Robbo wrote: »
    Those lights should be dynamited. They're the classic example of committee thinking: Decide a crossing is needed for the two University entrances, plonk it in an position equally useless to both, look in amazement as (1) people still cross over to Wards in the same unsafe manner and (2) the lights at the hospital junction serve as a perfectly good crossing for anyone using the "main" entrance on University Road.

As one who was there at the time this had nothing to do with any committees and this proposal was vigorously disputed at the Council Transport Policy Committee. It came from consultant engineers and derives from typical Irish practice on pedestrian crossings - where the intent was not to match pedestrian desire lines - but to attempt to manage pedestrians so as to reduce delays to motorised traffic.

• Advertisement

As one who was there at the time this had nothing to do with any committees and this proposal was vigorously disputed at the Council Transport Policy Committee. It came from consultant engineers and derives from typical Irish practice on pedestrian crossings - where the intent was not to match pedestrian desire lines - but to attempt to manage pedestrians so as to reduce delays to motorised traffic.

Spot on. It depends on the committee, doesn't it?

This latest clueless right-turn prohibition on cyclists must have been done for traffic flow reasons. Who cares about discommoding cyclists when the freer flow of motor cars is at stake?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement