Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance while abroad

Options
  • 22-08-2011 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I am not sure this is the forum but I am hoping someone can direct me appropriately.

I am an Irish citizen. I travelled to China last year and took out 12 month travel insurance with an online company.

I am trying to renew on-line, but a lot of companies require me to be a resident in Ireland for past 6 months, including my original insurer

Does anyone know a solution or have a suggestion,

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

You are aware that annual travel policy doesnt mean that you can travel for 12 months right? Max journey duration tends to be 31 days!

You can't renew a travel policy when you haven't technically travelled. Instead you appear to have emigrated.

Your answer is no. Not for Irish residents anyway. Are you actually an irish resident still?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DaNotes

Pete - I did indeed to take out 12 month insurance - was a 'backpacker' type insurance.

I am not resident in Ireland now. I have been in China for 12 months now and plan to stay for 12 more.

Can you think of any solution? or can anyone?

I prefer not to take Chinese insurance as i would feel a lot more comfortable to deal with Irish/UK/European companies.

Thanks,

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Have you looked at worldnomads.com ?

You can get a policy there after having left the country, as long as you are a "permanent resident" of the stated country.
    You must also be legally defined as a permanent resident (not temporary) of that country and have a residential address that you can refer to within that country.
    http://www.worldnomads.com/travel-insurance/travel-insurance-questions.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DaNotes

Thanks Peanut - checked there, but its proving a bit expensive.

Any other suggestions?

Notes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

OP are you sure that the requirement is for the previous 6 months residence and not a minimum of 6 months in total?

I checked the insurance underwriters for the worldnomads policy, millstreamonline.com, and although their website is for the UK market, they say "Please confirm that you have been permanently resident in the UK for a minimum of 6 months. ". (Their price is £238 for a year).
    edit: I suppose that more than likely implies the previous 6 months.

You can also use the promotional code "YUMMY10" on worldnomads for a 10% reduction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

The problem being that staying 2 year in a country hardly makes you a backpacker. Its close to residency at that point. You can discount any chance of getting a policy through an Irish company.

Advertisement