Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday Query

Options
  • 22-08-2011 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I started work for a company on the 11th Oct 2010. The boss closed the office for 2 weeks over Christmas as it was very quiet. We are property based. There was 4 days in 2010 (27/28/29/30 Dec) that were not public holidays and he is now saying I have to take these days out of my 2011 holidays as I didn't have in my 2010 days. Can he do this? The office was closed, no one was in.

Can you please advise. I am now the only full time person in the office. Other girl works 2 days so it does not apply to her.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Something don't add up here; you got a minimum allowance of 20 days a year or 1.67 days a month. Working 2 months and 19 days you'd have accrued around 4.4 days of holiday in 2010; why were these not used for the time?

Any way leaving that aside the only other route of not using the 2011 holidays is to ask him to take the days as unpaid leave instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

A lot of places close over the Christmas break - and it is perfectly fine to make employees take annual leave for this break. However it is not OK to ask you to use your 2011 holidays instead, as you had not built up enough holidays due to you being new.

However it seems that you were probably paid for these few days, if this is the case i don't see an issue with your employer trying to get that back. Although, ot was his mistake as he should not have paid you, it should have been taken at your own expense.

Advertisement