Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passage under Moore Hall, Lough Carra, Carnacon

Options
  • 22-08-2011 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone might know something about a passage under the basement in Moore hall? If anyone of ye have visited it, ye might remember going into the back courtyard through the tunnel? In that courtyard, in the far right hand corner as you face the house from the tunnel, there's a part of the wall knocked out, about half the height of a doorway. If you step inside it slopes down a bit so you're at a lower level than the basement, but it's tall enough for a person to stand in. We didn't go to the end of it but seems to extend along the length of the house. It seems to be built into the foundations, i.e., it's lined with stone, not muck!
    My question basically is, what might it have been used for? If anyone has any idea I'd be happy to hear it!

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm not entirely sure but I think that might have been where all the goods were delivered for the kitchen and maybe the servants entrance too. I could be wrong though :)

Try this website there's an interactive guide to the house and a video guide aswell.

http://www.moorehall.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭kwiva-g

Thanks for your reply! Since I was there I've become really interested in it, so I've already scoured that website. I know that servants in such a house would not have been supposed to be seen in the upper floors, and so would have lived and worked in the cellar, but this tunnel is below that level... It may be something entirely insignificant, but it intrigued me. Anyone I've asked thought it might be some kind of escape hatch, but perhaps we will never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

When I last visited there was a constructed tunnel/hole on the left hand side (when facing the front of the house) in the woods, appx 10-15 meters out. Perhaps an escape route or an ice house.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭famoussheamus

Many old estate houses and lodges had underground food storages, they were normally long and narrow with only one entrance. Examples are in Ashford castle in Cong and Aasleagh Lodge near Leenane.

Advertisement