Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychology, Starting at WIT

• 22-08-2011 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hey All

Im starting at WIT this September, i was just wondering if anyone has done Psychology and could tell me a little about how they found it,
    How long the days are?
    What Time on average they started and finished?
    Any advice or tips?

Any information would be great, this is all very new to me so i am very nervous

Cheers :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 dobba

what score u get, my lil sis was 20 off she believes:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Generally you'll have full days all week for first year i.e. 9.15 - 5.15. Its tough enough but if you're interested in it you'll enjoy it. Get your self ready to get back into alot of maths,stats is a big part of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ProudMummy

Hey, i have heard there is alot of maths but i dont mind stats, its all the rest i hate lol,
    I got 400points so i just made the cut, i accepted my place yesterday, i am sweating about the whole experience because it will be so new to me.

Cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭dutch1

Dont wanna scare or frighten you but my girlfriend is just finishing her doctorate in clinical pyschology.
    Shes done 3 yrs undergrad 1yrs masters & 3 yrs doctoral course. & thats not including the work experience in between. Tis a long owl time !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 tkdungarvan

Just going into 2nd year and found 1st year really good. You have stats, introduction to psychology, history of psychology and critical & creative thinking plus your 2 elective subjects in the first semester. in semester 2 you have research methods, cognition and perception, biological psychology, developmental psychology and again your 2 elective subjects. in first year u generally have 3 exams and 3 continual assements each semester. in my year there was a great mix of school leavers and mature students. the course is interesting and i found the lecturers to be really helpful. Also there are some arts students in some of the lectures if they have taken psychology as a minor subject. in relation to books, buy second hand and i found the website abe books to be great value for psychology books as they are pricey to buy new. i would recommend to buy a few key books as there is always a serious run to the library when as essay title is announced. Even if a few from ur class buy a different book each, it works out handy. hope this helps :)

• Advertisement

hours are about 18 hours a week, i ended up having fridays off last semester!

Thanks so much for all the great tips and advice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MRSDR01

I am also attending psychology in the WIT and if there is anyone around selling second hand ones, i am interested ;)

TKdungarvan, is the book list big enough for first year students? What minor subjects did you choose? I opted for sociology and spanish.

Btw, where do first year students have to register? in the main campus or college street? Sorry, lads. The letter was not clear enough.

Hey

Im hoping to take sociology and religious studies,

For second hand books, i had a student suggest Ebay, ABE books and Amazon, i found the bookdepository.co.uk prices good and they have free delivery everywhere.

I thinks its the main campus reg takes place, im going to get in early so i can find my way around.

Hope this helps :)

The booklist is not set in stone, it's optional if anything. but I would recommend a general psychology book or two , as a point of reference for yourselves. I found anything written by Santrock was helpful and easy to read. You will need a book for Spanish, it's a workbook so u might not get it 2nd hand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement