Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking at my current spec, what could I upgrade?

Options
  • 22-08-2011 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Its a while since I have upgraded my pc and I am out of touch with whats the latest in terms of processors and graphics cards.

My current build is:

Motherboard: Asus P5Q
    Video Card: HD4870
    Processor: Q6600
    Memory: OCZ PC6400 4GB
    Hard drive: 2 * F1 1TB
    Sound Card: XtremeGamer
    Power: Corsair 620watt
    Monitor: 24" p2450
    Speakers: Logitech Z-2300
    Case: ATCS 840
    Keyboard: Tarantula
    Mouse: Lachesis

Have prices come down much on the graphics cards and processors? I am not sure if I upgrade my processsor and/or graphics card would I need to upgrade my psu!

I used to be well up on all this stuff but I am so out of touch these days! I do a bit of photoshoping and gaming.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

I have much the same setup as that myself, I upgraded from the 4870 to the 5850 earlier this year and found no major difference in game play :mad:. I found Call of Duty Black Ops very laggy even with the new card.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Big Lar wrote: »
    I have much the same setup as that myself, I upgraded from the 4870 to the 5850 earlier this year and found no major difference in game play :mad:. I found Call of Duty Black Ops very laggy even with the new card.

I am considering upgrading to a 6950 which would appear to have a significant performance increase by comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

py2006 wrote: »
    I am considering upgrading to a 6950 which would appear to have a significant performance increase by comparison

Yep, 6950 from ATI or 560 GTX from Nvidia is the next rational step.
    Im not familiar if they need more power than 4870? I assume 620w Corsair is good enough anyway

Then you test some gaming and see if need new CPU / motherboard / memory.
    And ofcourse it's also up to yourself how sweet details you require from the games? I personally don't care if need to give up some anti-aliasing or even one notch smaller resolution just to get it above 50-60FPS in average.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

freestyla wrote: »
    Yep, 6950 from ATI or 560 GTX from Nvidia is the next rational step.
    Im not familiar if they need more power than 4870? I assume 620w Corsair is good enough anyway

Then you test some gaming and see if need new CPU / motherboard / memory.
    And ofcourse it's also up to yourself how sweet details you require from the games? I personally don't care if need to give up some anti-aliasing or even one notch smaller resolution just to get it above 50-60FPS in average.

The HD6950 uses a bit more power but not nearly as much as you would guess for the performance difference :p (~40W or so as best I can tell), either way you are right the (HX? I'm guessing) 620W is comfortably good enough (It could probably even just about handle two for if nothing else was being overclocked).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Have you thought about going for an SSD for your OS and games? That may well show the biggest performance jump.

OCZ VERTEX 3 - 60 GB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

farna_boy wrote: »
    Have you thought about going for an SSD for your OS and games? That may well show the biggest performance jump.

OCZ VERTEX 3 - 60 GB
    SSD would be nice but wont change your games fps, just loading times.

also, for the love of god dont buy that SSD. OCZ is awful these says :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Fair enough. I don't know much about SSDs and I had heard the opposite, in particular about that SSD (possibly on here). Out of curiosity, what SSD would you recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

Just overclock them, they're still alright. Wait until new cards are out, amd will release new graphics cards before new year.

And don't bother upgrading your cpu it'd be best to upgrade to a new system, either get sandybridge or wait until amd's new bulldozers are released

farna_boy wrote: »
    Fair enough. I don't know much about SSDs and I had heard the opposite, in particular about that SSD (possibly on here). Out of curiosity, what SSD would you recommend?
    crucial m4's.

OCZ's drives have an appalling failure rate at the moment. do a quick google to find the proof.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    SSD would be nice but wont change your games fps, just loading times.

also, for the love of god dont buy that SSD. OCZ is awful these says :(

I am curious as to how these slot onto the motherboard?

• Advertisement

They don't. It looks just like a 2.5" HDD like you find in laptops. Gigabyte have an SSD in the works that attaches onto the board though.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    They don't. It looks just like a 2.5" HDD like you find in laptops. Gigabyte have an SSD in the works that attaches onto the board though.

Ah I see! So they just flop about!! hmmmm, is that a good thing?

py2006 wrote: »
    Ah I see! So they just flop about!! hmmmm, is that a good thing?
    Well most people put it into a 3.5" to 2.5" drive adapter. But for all intents and purposes, it has no moving parts so is perfectly safe just hanging off the SATA cable. Some people blue tac or Velcro it to the case :)

Advertisement