Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DANZIG

• 22-08-2011 1:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,070 ✭✭✭✭

Any fans here of the Evil Elvis/Black Elvis/Fonzig?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

More of a fan of his time in the Misfits than of that of his Danzig years.

Having said that How the Gods Kill is still a very enjoyable album.

Of course this thread gives me a reason to put up this vid which always puts a smile on my face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Great musician but a total prick

Funniest bit in that is the girl sayin it was a cheap shot, errrr, Danzig started it, the security guy retaliated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,070 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Kess73 wrote: »
    More of a fan of his time in the Misfits than of that of his Danzig years.

Having said that How the Gods Kill is still a very enjoyable album.

The first three albums are great (with the 'classic' line-up-Danzig, Chuck Biscuits, Eerie Von, John Christ) and Glenn's own 'Black Aria' classical album.

• Advertisement

The first three albums are great (with the 'classic' line-up-Danzig, Chuck Biscuits, Eerie Von, John Christ) and Glenn's own 'Black Aria' classical album.

Us Welsh have great musical taste ;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,125 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Big fan since i was a young lad, first 4 albums are classics, some great stuff since then too. Big Shout out for John Christ. A great guitarist and sorely missed on the later albums. Saw glen in 2004 with Doyle which inc a 30 min misfits set. It unreal.
    One of the all time great song writers in my opinion.

I wondered how long it would take for the obligatory "danzig gets punched" post!

scudzilla wrote: »
    Us Welsh have great musical taste ;);)

And sheep with sore bums. ;):pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,125 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Kess73 wrote: »
    And sheep with sore bums. ;):pac:

Yeah, we shag 'em then you eat 'em ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

still throwin out some great stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Danzig II Lucifuge - great album, how the Gods Kill was decent everything else is a wee bit dodgy.

A UK tour I wish I had gone to - Danzig with support from White Zombie back in 1992 (there was a Dublin date but I think it was cancelled). Danzig touring to promote 'How The Gods Kill', White Zombie promoting 'La Sexorcisto'...what a billing!

A UK tour I wish I had gone to - Danzig with support from White Zombie back in 1992 (there was a Dublin date but I think it was cancelled). Danzig touring to promote 'How The Gods Kill', White Zombie promoting 'La Sexorcisto'...what a billing!

Seen Danzig support Metallica on the Justice tour in '88 in Manchester & Birmingham, can't remember much of his set to be honest though

Yeah, we shag 'em then you eat 'em ;)

And when I flush my toilet back home, what comes out goes into Wales so the circle of life is completed :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Personally I like Danzig's 'ego'. his style, his opinions misinterpreted as outspokenness, his lone wolf trip - as opposed to the the pop industry there's too few dark 'rock star's on a solo trip with more to say than musical ability on display IMO, too many nerdy meek bit-parts of a collaborative unit or group.. but also the likes of rob zombie can eat a dick. I heard a rumour he turned down a Wolverine role long before that Aussie poser. squat/sideburns/dances with wolves.. Sounds like wolverine turned down jugh hackman role

but the Samhain is my favourite Danzig project, there was a type of postpunk maturity there and lost boys vibe I grew out of the misfits but still terrific. True pioneer was Glenn having seen rock n roll originate and forged his own dark path. an icon for those of us ousted as 'evil'.. rollseyes. cheers ma

His legacy has hardly gone unnoticed anyhow as he is essentially Mr Halloween in the states. only real blot on his CV for me was a certain collaboration and I see a metallickfing superthread over here and am glad a Danzig one dies not exist. Nice to be mainstream yet still somehow "underground", a little like slayer. certainly outside the states anyhow. as I recently heard someone suggest of led Zeppelin, lol. or stifled by the press because it's still percieved as a subversive threat like any true metal/punk act should be instead of pandering to 'eclectic' fans of general mainstream pop the result being accepted as pg / marketable media > assault / even larger financial gain / forbes .. *ahem* hope he squeezes out that deep south voodoo movie out eventually?! would be disappointed after all the talk about it

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Personally I like Danzig's 'ego'. his style, his opinions misinterpreted as outspokenness, his lone wolf trip - as opposed to the the pop industry there's too few dark 'rock star's on a solo trip with more to say than musical ability on display IMO, too many nerdy meek bit-parts of a collaborative unit or group.. but also the likes of rob zombie can eat a dick. I heard a rumour he turned down a Wolverine role long before that Aussie poser. squat/sideburns/dances with wolves.. Sounds like wolverine turned down jugh hackman role

but the Samhain is my favourite Danzig project, there was a type of postpunk maturity there and lost boys vibe I grew out of the misfits but still terrific. True pioneer was Glenn having seen rock n roll originate and forged his own dark path. an icon for those of us ousted as 'evil'.. rollseyes. cheers ma

His legacy has hardly gone unnoticed anyhow as he is essentially Mr Halloween in the states. only real blot on his CV for me was a certain collaboration and I see a metallickfing superthread over here and am glad a Danzig one dies not exist. Nice to be mainstream yet still somehow "underground", a little like slayer. certainly outside the states anyhow. as I recently heard someone suggest of led Zeppelin, lol. or stifled by the press because it's still percieved as a subversive threat like any true metal/punk act should be instead of pandering to 'eclectic' fans of general mainstream pop the result being accepted as pg / marketable media > assault / even larger financial gain / forbes .. *ahem* hope he squeezes out that deep south voodoo movie out eventually?! would be disappointed after all the talk about it

I know what you mean. He does get a lot of flak from the press for taking himself a bit too seriously, but fair play to him - he's never sold out and never compromised his music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

while he does come now across as a bit of a twat i must say that in my previous incarnation as the a typical beavis/butthead spooty youth i met all the band when they supported metallica here in '88 and they spent as long as was needed by the fans for photos and autographs, and were pretty nice to chat to - when all metallica sent out of the gresham hotel was a snotty kirk hammett - one of my prize possessions now is a fully signed original danzig lp

the support slot was pretty much the first album jammed into a 30 minute set which i seem to remember more of than the metallica set for some strange reason

that first album is pretty classic though Mother and Twist of Cain great tracks

but on the sad/mad/bad side i remember turning up to the sfx circa 92 only to be told the gig was cancelled - the rumour was that Glen himself got seasick on the boat over from uk - cant remember the support band but ended up seeing them play that night down around capel street somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anthonymax

Can anyone tell me why I can't buy "Kiss the Skull" on Itunes? Is it something as simple as it's not actually on it or am I missing something!

• Advertisement

anthonymax wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me why I can't buy "Kiss the Skull" on Itunes? Is it something as simple as it's not actually on it or am I missing something!

Some independent labels that Danzig released records for won't license any music for iTunes. Hence only Deth Red Saboath and the Def American albums (bought out by Sony BMG) are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anthonymax

Some independent labels that Danzig released records for won't license any music for iTunes. Hence only Deth Red Saboath and the Def American albums (bought out by Sony BMG) are available.

Thank you Welsh Megaman, I would've been a long time finding that out on my own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Album of cover songs sounds promising

Here's the rule on ego's then only the small are allowed big ego because they've a lot if ground to make up. And at 5"2 no matter how big the ego GD will still leave himself short

DANZIG UK TOUR DATES!

To celebrate the 25th. anniversary of the debut Danzig album, with a Misfits set and special guest DOYLE!

*Ned Flanders-style squeal of delight*

Wednesday 19th. June - Manchester Academy
    Thursday 20th. June - Wolverhampton Civic Hall
    Monday 24th. June - London Camden Roundhouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Great musician but a total prick

Funniest bit in that is the girl sayin it was a cheap shot, errrr, Danzig started it, the security guy retaliated

:D He asked for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭HMD

DANZIG UK TOUR DATES!

To celebrate the 25th. anniversary of the debut Danzig album, with a Misfits set and special guest DOYLE!

*Ned Flanders-style squeal of delight*

Wednesday 19th. June - Manchester Academy
    Thursday 20th. June - Wolverhampton Civic Hall
    Monday 24th. June - London Camden Roundhouse

Got tickets to the London show as i doubt there'll be an Irish gig. Seeing Glenn and Doyle doing a Misfits set is something i've been waiting for for a long time

HMD wrote: »
    Got tickets to the London show as i doubt there'll be an Irish gig. Seeing Glenn and Doyle doing a Misfits set is something i've been waiting for for a long time

Me too, got my Manchester ticket...roll on, (dirty black) summer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JohnNightmare

goin to see him in london my self. looking forward to the misfits set though more so than danzig bar 2 or 3 danzig songs

Thread bump time!

Last night's Manchester gig was amazing...if I had the money, I would be in Wolverhampton tonight - it was that good.

The best songs from the first three albums, and when Doyle appeared the venue went several levels of apesh*t. To those going, won't spoil it by naming the songs played.

And of course, no Danzig show is complete without Glenn losing his rag at somebody trying to take his picture :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement