Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Overcharging?

• 22-08-2011 1:54pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, Just wondering can someone explain this to me. I recently moved and while in the process I was going to cancel my UPC account with my previous address (contract ended) and get into a new contract with the 50meg (was previously on 30meg) which is now the middle package.
    I rang up to cancel but the girl I spoke to reccomended not to cancel but that she would downgrade free of charge the 30meg to 12meg (so that while is was in the process of moving I wouldnt be paying full whack for the broadband) and told me I could get the 50meg activated line depending when I move (she said she'd put a note on the account).
    I recently had an installer out, origionally would have gone self install but in the heel of the hunt line problems needed the installer out to replace the unit. It appeared this note was not placed on the account but the 50meg was activated after a quick call to a UPC person from the installer, fine I thought.
    Now UPC are looking to bill me for €112, thinking this was excessive (even with the €40 charge) I notice they are charging me €58.07 for the 50meg broadband for the month. I would love to know where this figure has come from as on the website it is priced at €45 a month, I have a TV package.
    Now I am sure UPC are in the wrong and before being fobbed off can anyone outline the issue incase one does arise, this is a substantial increase, I was paying €42 a month for the 30meg for the last while,

Cheers

Nick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

ring (or email, i hate trying to get through to 1st line) and complain and ask to speak to a supervisor. if they try and fob you off with a callback, decline and ask to be put through to customer loyalty and they will usually sort you out without too much hassle.

some people here have had luck getting overcharging fixed with the UPC twitter account if you use twitter, although i dont know what the name of it is off the top of my head, a search of the forum would probably tell you if you needed it.

the problem is, most of the people you'll speak to in 1st line don't even understand how the billing system works and have very little power to even do anything if they did, so you'll have very little luck trying to get it fixed unless you go higher up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Just to update this, UPC hadn't overcharged me, they were in fact charging for more than a month (5 weeks) to get my account into a fixed billing period. I hadn't noticed the dates (not good at maths :P) so assumed it was an overcharge, fair play to UPC's Twitter support at any rate,

Nick

Advertisement