Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom IP issues

Options
  • 22-08-2011 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,802 ✭✭✭✭

My father has a bit of an issue with his Eircom broadband.
    He has a Motorola 2247 router and is on NGB.
    When his router connects to the Eircom network,he usually gets an ip address starting with 86.41 and this works very well.
    However on other occasions he gets an ip address beginning in 213. and this ip is poor as it keeps losing connection every 10 minutes or less.
    He often has to keep rebooting the router until he is issued the 86. address .
    Is there anything that can be done about this or is it just bad luck ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Moved to eircom forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

When his router connects to the Eircom network,he usually gets an ip address starting with 86.41 and this works very well.
    However on other occasions he gets an ip address beginning in 213. and this ip is poor as it keeps losing connection every 10 minutes or less.
    Thanks

Hi, thanks for your post.

The following may be helpful in resolving your intermittent connection /or intermittent sync, issue :

Intermittent sync maybe caused by interference on the internal phone wiring. Take a look at our Broadband Checklilst (below). This will help determine where this interference lies. The modem itself may not be the source of the problem. Before you try the checks, please do the following :

Powercycle the modem:
    Flick the power switch to the Off position on the back of the modem
    Wait 30 seconds
    Switch the modem back On
    Wait two minutes for the modem to re-connect

*It is vital that you temporarily disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. Remove the adsl splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket.

If you are unsure what this means, please take a look at our Forum and the Broadband Checklist outlined :

Broadband Checklist - http://bit.ly/BroadbandCheck

If you are still getting intermittent connections after testing your modem as advised, then I would suggest you try a full hard reset of your modem. To do this, please follow the instuctions on the this Support Forum website -

Reset Modem - http://bit.ly/modemReset

If you are still experiencing intermittent connections afterwards, then you will need to call into Broadband Support -

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (Mon - Sun).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, in case you need to follow up on this. Alternatively, let us know this and we can chase this up with Technical Support.

Please let me know if I can help you further.

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Thanks

That's very strange i've never seen an Eircom IP address starting with 213.
    Only ones i've ever had and seen on other peoples connection is an 86.45.xx.xxx .
    Maybe it's just in certain parts of the country that gets these IP's?
    Has your father got the modem connected directly into the telephone socket ? ie. Remove line filters if any are connected and see if it improves.
    If this is not the case it may just be a bad set of IP address's that is causing the issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It is feasible for a pool to contain plain wrong addresses. eircom has about 12-20 separate pools from what I remember and they are all regionalised.

They do have 213. blocks eg 213.94.156.0 - 213.94.156.255 or 213.94.157.0 - 213.94.157.255 but you should state your county and the actual ip address you were assigned and then mail networks@eircom.net with the specific data.

could be a load and no routing for the block or a duplicate load of one range to more than one pool .

Advertisement