Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

diamond ring

Options
  • 22-08-2011 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi,
    I send my diamond cluster engagement ring to the jeweller to get resized. It came back on friday , perfect and has also been cleaned. it looked amazing.
    at home om saturday i noticed one of the small diamonds in the cluster was missing. The ring was perfect on friday so this happened at home. it must have just broke and fallen out somewhere. its tiny so no chance of finding it.
    my question is do I have any comeback, prob not? im just thinking maybe the cleaning dislodged the stones?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Yes if the stone was a bit loose, cleaning could have made it worse by removing any gunk helping to glue the stone in. Also if you have a ring sized down, depending on the setting it can sometimes loosen the stones. But I really don't think you can blame the jeweller because the stone was not missing when you collected the ring. But you should go back with it and see what they say. You need to get the other stones checked in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

Have you verified that all the other diamonds are the same ones as when you took it in.
    I know of someone who took a ring in for resizing and came back with lower value diamonds

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

danmanw8 wrote: »
    Have you verified that all the other diamonds are the same ones as when you took it in.
    I know someone who took a ring in for resizing and came back with lower value diamonds
    Thats an urban myth. I heard more than a hundred versions of that in the years I worked in jewellery.

The other myth is when watches were the ticky kind, taking the jewels out. The watch wont work without jewels and theyre worth nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

Oryx wrote: »
    Thats an urban myth. I heard more than a hundred versions of that in the years I worked in jewellery.

No it's no a myth!
    Are you saying that when a jeweller takes a diamond out of a ring to value it and it is say worth €5k that he/she wouldn't be tempted to put one back in that's only worth €3k? You are naive in the extreme if you think that. The only thing that has to be the same is the shape and diametre.
    To the naked eye of the owner they'll look almost identical and the jeweller would pocket the €2k.
    It was a jeweller friend told me never to let a diamond ring out of your sight when getting it valued.
    Most Jewllers will be honest but no profession can claim 100% honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Any jeweller who values their professional reputation would not dream of such behaviour. Additionally, I can only imagine that the time & labour required to perform such a task would make it prohibitive in most cases.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Time and labour to change a diamond is minimal, getting a simliar diamond of a lower value if you didn't have one to hand would take longer. We had major modifications to my fiancee's engament ring done with no drama in a few days.

Certification to go with the stolen diamond may be an issue, but I think that you could probably get the stone re-certified in a lot of cases from my limited understanding of the process.

We suspect that diamonds that we had taken out of a ring were possibly exchanged, when we went to use on the the diamonds a number of years later it turns out to be massively flawed and included and that doesn't tally with what we knew of the ring but its an old ring and there was never certification or a detailed valuers report to match the stone against now.

Advertisement