Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Religious Syllabus for Primary School

• 22-08-2011 2:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me where I'd get the primary school syllabus for a Roman Catholic School?

Do the church have one?

Thanks
    TR.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

As far as I am aware, there isn't a syllabus as such. Schools choose to follow a programme instead. (Same thing really - just different way of wording it.) Most, actually probably all Catholic primary schools follow the Alive-O programme.

This page should give a good summary of the programme:

http://www.catholicireland.net/pages/index.php?nd=363&art=1209

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

There is no one RE syllabus document for Catholic Schools.

Teachers follow 8 rather hefty Alive-O Teacher's Manual books (one for each class level).

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

dambarude wrote: »
    There is no one RE syllabus document for Catholic Schools.

Teachers follow 8 rather hefty Alive-O Teacher's Manual books (one for each class level).

Hefty in the sense that you could kill someone with a single manual!

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Hefty in the sense that you could kill someone with a single manual!

Or literally bore a poor teacher to death with its content:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

dambarude wrote: »
    Or literally bore a poor teacher to death with its content:p

You can add a class of infants to the boredom. I don't know who wrote the stories, but a lot of them are just terrible. I have to make up my own versions most of the time. The language isn't an appropriate level for younger kids, and the repetition in them is completely over the top.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

You should try them in Irish!!"Book" Irish,very difficult for children to understand.

I've had to use the Irish Teacher Manual the odd time. The English ones disappear very quickly when 450 people want them for TP!

Alive-O is meant to be replaced in a few years time, so hopefully that will bring good changes (though I won't hold my breath).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Kathnora

Alive O is totally outdated and irrelevant to today's society. The senior class programmes Alive O 7 and 8 are just AWFUL.... way above the heads of the children. I end up looking at the theme for each lesson and then inventing my own lesson around the theme. It really needs revision but can't see that happening as it would just be too costly.

Kathnora wrote: »
    It really needs revision but can't see that happening as it would just be too costly.

It's meant to be in process actually.

Advertisement