Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lonely kitten?

• 22-08-2011 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

I just got a new kitten about 2 weeks ago.

I am home with him all day every day until I start back in college a month from now. I pay him loads of attention when he is in the mood for pets and playing. However I am worried that he might be lonely.

He doesn't cry anymore but when we first got him he cried for a few days for his siblings and mum. He is gradually becoming more and more friendly but he still can be jumpy and he sometimes hides from us.

He came from a litter of three and I am kicking myself now that I didn't take two instead of just one.

Is it OK to just have one cat by himself or should I look for another kitten to be a friend for him?

Would he accept a new kitten in his new home or would that scare him?

Please leave a comment if you have any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,451 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Spend some time playing with him to tire him out in the morning. Leave him in a setting where he is stimulated and some play again in the evening. Make sure he has his creature comforts.

Someone needs to invent a laser disco light that comes on for 3 minutes once an hour. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

If you're prepared to adopt a 2nd kitten, then that would be the ideal solution. 2 kittens together will amuse one another, and keep one another cat social. Lots of rescues place kittens in pairs for preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭Heroditas

If you're not going to be at home for most of the day, in my opinion the cat would be much happier with a little buddy to play with. Even if they just sleep for a lot of the day, at least they won't be alone and they have each other to cuddle up to and can play-chase each other if they're bored.
    Cats will play with toys for a while but will eventually ignore them. They'll never tire of knocking lumps out of each other though.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭ismiseuisce

I am home all of the time these days and at the end of Sept I'm starting a new college course but it's only 2 days a week so I'm with him a lot really. I think I'm just going to get him more toys and laser pointers and scratching posts just so he has lots of activities to choose from rather than just the few toys he has now as he does tend to go off them after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 catzwizkas

2 kittens is always better but not always practical. Thank heavens Kits can keep themselves amused if you give them lots of toys especially things that hang down. Elastic cord is excellent becuase it has a bit of give before bouncing way so it almost interacts with the kitten.

Dont feel bad about not being there all the time. You sound like you really care about the little chat. Tip toe back a few minutes after you "leave" and I'll bet you'll find the chap indulging in the most time consuming and favorite cat activity of all times.... cat naps!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Rearing a kitten on his own takes a bit more effort than if there is two. But don't worry play with him when you can, and as long as he is well looked after warm, clean and fed, he will be a happy kitty!

He is lucky to have you!!

Advertisement