Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comedy Writing

• 22-08-2011 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

What would be the best college course to apply for, or the best way to get a job if you want to be a comedy writer for tv/films?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

UCD do some good night courses in comedy, but as for getting a job, I think that will depend on how funny you are. No course will get you a job if you don't have the gift.

I've got to say, writing comedy is tough, and learning about it tends to take all the fun out of reading/watching comedy. I did a comedy course, and now when I'm watching Mock the Week, which I used to find hilarious, I'm counting the beats and watching the set-up rather than enjoying the jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 curbselecta

thanks, but i mean more like an actual college not just a night course,maybe creative writing or film making? and how did you learn about writing comedy?

There are several good full time courses, some of which are mentioned here, but I don't think there are any which are comedy only.

As for how do you learn, a large part of it is just doing it. Keep writing and see what bits are really funny and which are sort of funny and which are not funny at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

In Ireland and many other places, TV comedy writing gigs are given to comedians. Fair or not, it's how it is.

Your best way to go about it is to get more practical experience. Write some sketches then put the best one's on YouTube to see if they get a reaction etc. In the creative side of the entertainment industry, a qualification is just a piece of paper. What you've done and who you know is what gets you jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

leggo wrote: »
    In Ireland and many other places, TV comedy writing gigs are given to comedians.

Judging by the quality of RTE's comedy output, I find that a little hard to believe.:pac:

• Advertisement

Kinski wrote: »
    leggo wrote: »
    In Ireland and many other places, TV comedy writing gigs are given to comedians.

Judging by the quality of RTE's comedy output, I find that a little hard to believe.:pac:

Haha, touché. In fairness, I don't blame the comedians, I blame RTE themselves. Unfunny execs thinking up dumb concepts then picking a comedian out of the hat to front it for them and make it funny.

And let's be fair, writing comedy is hard. Even after doing a course on it, I can't be funny on demand. The best I can do is write something that is not comedy, and hope that my readers find a bit of humour in it.

@ leggo, thanks for the answer, i don't know anyone to get a job, so would making videos on youtube be the best way to get experience, and as a type of portfolio to get into writing comedy?

@ leggo, thanks for the answer, i don't know anyone to get a job, so would making videos on youtube be the best way to get experience, and as a type of portfolio to get into writing comedy?

IMO the best way is to try stand-up comedy. Like I said, all the top TV jobs are automatically given to comedians. It also gives you access to a community of comedians with whom you can make contacts with to work your way up the ladder. YouTube vids are another good way if it's writing, specifically, you're looking to get into. And you'll get accurate (if damning, at times) feedback. Personally, I wrote US chat show-style monologues and sketches on a radio show I did for two years, and blog these days, so that's got me somewhat familiar with the style of writing.

But just do whatever it takes to get noticed. Entertainment is unlike any other industry in that you can't just get a qualification, job interview etc. You have to hustle and find your own way.
    EileenG wrote: »
    And let's be fair, writing comedy is hard. Even after doing a course on it, I can't be funny on demand. The best I can do is write something that is not comedy, and hope that my readers find a bit of humour in it.

Definitely agree. I also consider anything light-hearted that I would write to be 'humorous', not comedy. Giving yourself that label is a lot of pressure! Not to mention that, if you're writing for TV etc, then the joke lives or dies on the delivery whether it's funny on paper or not.

One great piece of advice I heard from both Harry Enfield and Phil Jupitus was to forget about the audience and just focus on making yourself laugh. Since then, I've changed my style considerably. Whereas when writing serious pieces I'd focus on being creative and trying to amplify a scene for the benefit of the reader, with humorous material I have faith that whatever it is I found funny to begin with will make the reader laugh and just use the words as a device to relate that to them. I don't know if that makes sense...but basically I mean instead of sitting down with a blank page and looking for something that is funny, I simply focus more on things I already find funny, then just put pen to paper. Whether that shows up in the end product or not isn't for me to decide...but it's easier for me at least!

I don't think id do stand up, i think id be better at making videos at least for now, im only in leaving cert anyway, would i be able to make animated shorts under 5 mins on a software for free? I wouldnt be able to spend much time on making something like that, so would you say filming and editing something would be easier and take less time?

• Advertisement

I really would try some stand-up, there are various comedy clubs where anyone can have a go. You need to try your stuff in front of an audience to see what works and what doesn't, and what tweaks will make it work.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Stand-up isn't for everyone. It's a completely different ball-game to working and re-working a script for television and you need to be extremely tough and know how to work a room - virtually unheard of in an 18 year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Stand-up isn't for everyone. It's a completely different ball-game to working and re-working a script for television and you need to be extremely tough and know how to work a room - virtually unheard of in an 18 year old.

Also, the crowd at a comedy club probably wouldn't be all that receptive to someone so young; most adults usually don't enjoy listening to teenagers!:p If you're starting college in September then there may be a comedy soc that you can join, which might give you the opportunity to try out some stand-up in front of a more sympathetic audience.

There's also a good course, I think with Gaiety, that has a 5-minute set in a comedy club as the grand finale. Worth a look. I think Kevin Bridges started when he was 17 so it's not unheard of, and look at him now!

Advertisement