Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

something for securing bark etc on steep gradients

Options
  • 22-08-2011 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭

Any one know of anything like this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I saw something on Grand Designs where they opened up a strip of stuff with a kind of diamond pattern, bit like that expanding tissue christmas decoration stuff, on a steep slope and filled it with soil before putting turves on. Might work. This looks similar to the stuff they were using http://www.greenfix.co.uk/

Probably difficult enough to get bark mulch to stay on any sort of slope though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

looksee wrote: »
    I saw something on Grand Designs where they opened up a strip of stuff with a kind of diamond pattern, bit like that expanding tissue christmas decoration stuff, on a steep slope and filled it with soil before putting turves on. Might work. This looks similar to the stuff they were using http://www.greenfix.co.uk/

Probably difficult enough to get bark mulch to stay on any sort of slope though.
    Think your right about the bark,thank for the link,would say its expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

You'll get that honeycomb stuff from these guys.

I used it for holding gravel in place on a steep driveway and it works great. But it is expensive (can't remember how much I paid but it was worth it).

I would think for bark mulch on a steep slope, put it in place and water it well and that might do the trick. I've done this before successfully, but the slope was not too steep.

curiousb wrote: »
    You'll get that honeycomb stuff from these guys.

I used it for holding gravel in place on a steep driveway and it works great. But it is expensive (can't remember how much I paid but it was worth it).

I would think for bark mulch on a steep slope, put it in place and water it well and that might do the trick. I've done this before successfully, but the slope was not too steep.
    I would imagine that if i put weed suppresant sheets under the bark for my steep gradients that it would create a more slidey adventure for the bark.Would be interested in the web stuff though because i hope to put down chips or pea shingle on the driveway,tried to google it but not sure what to enter for it.
    Have you seen the stuff from Wickes for driveways that are mats with little squares through them and you brush in topsoil to them and it grows grass that you can drive over and cut when it gets to long?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Why not plant the area with ground cover, eg Pachysandra terminalis 'Green Carpet'. Grows less than 200mm tall and spreads. A very cheerful and hardy evergreen plant.

• Advertisement

Why not plant the area with ground cover, eg Pachysandra terminalis 'Green Carpet'. Grows less than 200mm tall and spreads. A very cheerful and hardy evergreen plant.
    That sounds good,especially that it only grows to 4" high,probably stabilise the bank as well.Do you have any prices on it per m2 or good irish links.

Advertisement