Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert. '11/'12 Off-Topic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭AlmightyDublin

Cian A wrote: »
    IMO the Irish course has been made way too easy. Sraithpictuiri, printing poems on the exam and the comprehensions are made easier to answer too.
    Yeah! Seriously easy, its like they 'dumb' it down year by year! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

M&S* wrote: »
    20 sraith pictuir, the new exam probably suits most but sadly I'm not one of them! :( Moving the comprehensions to paper two makes it much more of a struggle to finish everything too!

Actually I'm not really familiar yet with the new layout/timing etc..

With regards to the sraithpictúirí, well I don't see what the problem is, a lot of people here talk about writing them out and stuff and learning that off which is likely what most of the country are doing so that's grand but still I don't see sense in this, surely you can just describe the picture at the instant you are shown it:confused:. No point in learning off 20 pages of stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

With regards to the sraithpictúirí, well I don't see what the problem is, a lot of people here talk about writing them out and stuff and learning that off which is likely what most of the country are doing so that's grand but still I don't see sense in this, surely you can just describe the picture at the instant you are shown it:confused:. No point in learning off 20 pages of stuff!

I don't understand why they'd shorten tape but take off the comprehensions making paper 1 shorter and paper 2 longer..

To be fair there's vocabulary that you'd want to learn for a lot of them but knowing a few key phrases that suit them all is all I think you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

How much are you all told to write for Irish, actually? Because I'm a bit confused. I have a different teacher this year to the one we had last year. Both of them say that around 2 and a half pages is enough for the essay (and last year when I handed up an essay that was almost 3 pages to the old teacher, she told me it was too long). But now when I write essays that are about 2 and a half pages, the new teacher says that they're a bit short, even though the sample papers all say around 500 - 600 words, and I usually get that much out of an essay.

For the prose and poetry then, we're told to write about a page to a page and a half, and that's grand enough. But then the most confusing bit to me is the An Triail question. We've done a couple of tests in class and handed up a few sample answers to the teacher. My tests have been pretty bad, but the last sample answer I handed up was on hypocrisy in the play. I wrote about 2 pages for it, thinking it was loads. Then she handed it back saying I should write another half a page to get full marks :confused: Okay, fair enough, but why should the An Triail question, which is worth 40 marks, be the same length as the essay, which is worth 100 marks? Now I know it's quality over quantity, but these guidelines just seem really weird to me! What do your teachers say about all this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Truer words have never been spoken! Down with history! :D
    Exactly :D first books to be burned after lc !!! ;) i think my whole history class is starting a bonfire tbh :P

well tbh i like to have something learned off and written down so i have a plan :) i could describe the pics myself without my written out notes but tbh i'd mix up my tenses or leave stuff out !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

If ordinary level is called ordinary level, logic surely dictates that higher level should be extraordinary level.

I am tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I spent today shivering in weekend study. Would it actually kill them to turn off the air conditioning for once?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

paulinap wrote: »
    ya it was really cool...i was there on saturday! wbu?

I went on Friday. There were only about 20-25 people in dental courses talk and tour. What about Saturday?

I'm 18 by the way. you?
    I hope to go to cork at the start of january, but yeah it's really far....

ya there was only about the same on saturday!
    em im 17.. just a baby! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Okay so I got up this morning at 8:15 as usual for my chemistry grinds, got home about 5. Went to my friend's birthday party at 6, then we went out, just in the door now. I'm going out at like 3pm tomorrow until like 11 or 12 as the xmas lights are being turned on, pretty big piss up opportunity for us youths here! Which means I have a Boland essay and a speech for English and an Irish essay on the drug problem to do tomorrow before 2. Fúck my actual life. I hate Leaving Cert. I can't wait for the end of exams bonfire/stomach pumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I've an 18th birthday next week at a nightclub, I don't manage to see him that often. Do I get him a birthday present or no because I've no idea where he's going to put it while we're out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

If you're not going to the house there's no need to do presents/cards :)
    Had a super plan of doing 5 hours study, did an hour and a half.. Now on the couch about to light the fire :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭shefellover93

Well, better start learning Irish notes for the oral I have on Wednesday. Nevermind the An Triail answer that's two pages long, all the Poetry and Prose. System is fooked with this Oral being worth 40%. Why would I bother learning a two page long Aiste when describing a few pictures gets me only 20 marks less? Honestly :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

I know Irish has kind of been dumbed down, but I'm kind of thankful, I'm AWFUL at it, never managed anything higher than a C1 :(
    Dont think I'll burn my books, kind of thinking I can write depressing and taunting comments all through them to scare the people I give them to/the people they end up with!! Evil, I know, but we have to suffer, so do they ^^;
    For instance, I have had to read OVER and OVER how someone called derrice <3z bazza... and how bored she gets... too annoying for my own good!! But I'll happily burn copies and hardbacks :) may make good kindling in case next year is really cold :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I've spent today helping my brother with a project on Burkina Faso. Leaving Cert, cad é sin?

Arrgh I haven't had a chance to start my homework until now....and I don't feel like it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

I haven't started my homework yet and there's something wrong with my horse but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is :( I don't know which I hate more, the Leaving Cert or the fact that my horse is a fúcking pansy who seems to injure himself on purpose. Shít day.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭EmptyWithMe

Next week is going to be hell. Back to complain! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

Just wrote the shíttiest essay and it only took me 2 hours. God I can't wait for Christmas.

I could use some icy roads around now.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Hey does anybody know much about selling on ebay? So confused :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭shefellover93

What sorta retarded teacher gives 28 pass maths questions? It's pass maths like, the one subject I'm doing which I don't expect to do a whole loada work in :/

Does anybody ever look rationally on their pile of work? Like, I have a lot to do, no time to do it. Clearly I should just take 1 subject and do that well, catch up tomorrow, would be the sensible thing to do anyway.

But then again I'm never rational. Panic it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

Does anybody ever look rationally on their pile of work? Like, I have a lot to do, no time to do it. Clearly I should just take 1 subject and do that well, catch up tomorrow, would be the sensible thing to do anyway.

But then again I'm never rational. Panic it is!

Kind of, I always do maths first because if I don't my teacher goes ape and I'd never see the light of day again. After that it sorta goes to sh*t :P

I'm more, "right who won't murder me tomorrow?" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Parent teacher meeting tomorrow, students are told to go as well. The teachers aren't gonna badmouth the students in front of their parents?

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Parent teacher meeting tomorrow, students are told to go as well. The teachers aren't gonna badmouth the students in front of their parents?

Strange enough...I suppose it can go either way like,

"Fergus is a great student" response being "Ah Cheers Sir"
    or the opposite being
    "Fergus is struggling in my class" followed by "Bitch, what did you say?"

Either way I'd imagine it'd be somewhat awkward for both Student and Teacher:pac:

I'm more, "right who won't murder me tomorrow?" :P

Same here, unfortunately my English teacher is an axe-murdering rapist so I'll just have to do the two essays. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Fergus_ wrote: »

would love that :) your basically gatecrashing your ptm :D
    they wont actually say anything bad while your right in front of them :p

Same here, unfortunately my English teacher is an axe-murdering rapist so I'll just have to do the two essays. :(

Are you in my English class!? :eek:
    I've 2 essays to do as well, and she fits that description. I'm going to assume you go to my school so. :)
    That also means you're a girl since I go to a convent. :P

• Advertisement

Are you in my English class!? :eek:
    I've 2 essays to do as well, and she fits that description. I'm going to assume you go to my school so. :)
    That also means you're a girl since I go to a convent. :P

Hahaha! Well I'm a boy attending a mixed-school in Galway, so I don't think so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement