Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert. '11/'12 Off-Topic

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

It has taken my English teacher over four weeks to correct my Hamlet essay. Ironically, the essay is about procrastination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Namlub wrote: »
    It has taken my English teacher over four weeks to correct my Hamlet essay. Ironically, the essay is about procrastination.

Oh god that must suck. I'm so grateful for my English teacher, she usually has essays back within 2 or 3 days. <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Shut down my facebook yesterday. I figured I spend much time on it and get nothing out of it :(

At this stage of the year it's time to start cutting, so it's beginning to look like just the 3 women for English poetry. Bad idea? Probably...

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

I handed up 3 essays six weeks ago and there still not back! Every other day she says they'll be back tomorrow! Im gonna start handing any essays up to the other English teacher from now on! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Mine gets my essays back the next day no matter how many I give him, hes the BEST :D

My history teacher on the other hand...I have three essays handed up to get back after Easter and I'll be lucky if he actually grades them. he thinks its better not to :rolleyes:

I have an oral with the other French teacher tomorrow. She runs French club but sadly I'm not in her class (:() but I was asking her about the exam and about how our orals were marked a bit weirdly and I was worried that mine was marked too easy, and she said she'd do one with me tomorrow, yuss :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

My Teacher ussually takes a full week to do our Essays. Poetry irks me so much, I always either get close to an A2 (84% which has been the case for the Plath, Rich and Larkin essays i've done lately), or just barely an A2 (86% Kinsella essay I did last week). I just cannot seem to get an A1 in any poetry essay. That Kinsella essay dealt with 5 poems, was 6 pages and still only scraped an A2 with 86%. I use loads of quotes, relate to the question, talk about poetic techniques, give my personal opinions and still can never achieve the A1. Irritating as heck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

So after 6 weeks and no sign of my Accounting pre my teacher finally told us that he lost them and we will be lucky if he can find a few of them. I'd love to know what I got. Was considering getting grinds depending on the result.

My Teacher ussually takes a full week to do our Essays. Poetry irks me so much, I always either get close to an A2 (84% which has been the case for the Plath, Rich and Larkin essays i've done lately), or just barely an A2 (86% Kinsella essay I did last week). I just cannot seem to get an A1 in any poetry essay. That Kinsella essay dealt with 5 poems, was 6 pages and still only scraped an A2 with 86%. I use loads of quotes, relate to the question, talk about poetic techniques, give my personal opinions and still can never achieve the A1. Irritating as heck!
    Sounds like you're going overboard, I get A1s in all my poetry essays with 3-4 pages. You need to keep on topic or you'll lose marks. What I do is talk about 4/5 poems, give an idea of what the poem is about to show an understand / knowledge of quotations then point out how its relevant.

I've gotten 84s before too, its pretty much just when your essay was great then you ruined it at the end...I did it with my first Rich and Plath essays. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Chavways wrote: »
    So after 6 weeks and no sign of my Accounting pre my teacher finally told us that he lost them and we will be lucky if he can find a few of them. I'd love to know what I got. Was considering getting grinds depending on the result.

That is ridiculous, i'd go feckin' mental! Accounting is one of those subjects where you only learn from understanding your mistakes as well, (all my experience of studying it for 3 weeks last year :P) Disgusting subject IMO :P
    Patchy~ wrote: »
    Sounds like you're going overboard, I get A1s in all my poetry essays with 3-4 pages. You need to keep on topic or you'll lose marks. What I do is talk about 4/5 poems, give an idea of what the poem is about to show an understand / knowledge of quotations then point out how its relevant.

I've gotten 84s before too, its pretty much just when your essay was great then you ruined it at the end...I did it with my first Rich and Plath essays. :o

Hmm, I suppose. My Teacher is an awful biatch of a marker though. She basically refuses to give A1's in principle. It's just about relating back to the question all the time I suppose.

Do you take the poems one at a time and talk about all the themes of one, then the next, or do you discuss a few under one theme, then discuss another few under another theme, etc? If you do the former, I think it is almost impossible to get an A1.

• Advertisement

finality wrote: »
    Do you take the poems one at a time and talk about all the themes of one, then the next, or do you discuss a few under one theme, then discuss another few under another theme, etc? If you do the former, I think it is almost impossible to get an A1.
    Exactly! My teacher always said this and people on here told me it wasn't true - poem by poem just isnt the way to do it, I've found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Exactly! My teacher always said this and people on here told me it wasn't true - poem by poem just isnt the way to do it, I've found.

Oh god... :(

Well I've done it a few times and its worked - generally "the poetry of x" is either way, but "do you agree the poetry of x is __ or is it more __?" should be taken under each suggested theme I think. :)

Also, raged I didnt do economics right now. My friend got an A1 in his mock and said I definitely would have, and if I'd done it my timetable would match his and I'd have good teachers. :L

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Yep I'm going to have to change my style from poem to poem to Argument by Argument, and I will start with my 4th ever English essay tonight, woopie:D
    Seriously....since 5th year 2010 this is our 4th piece of homework:(

Well I've done it a few times and its worked - generally "the poetry of x" is either way, but "do you agree the poetry of x is __ or is it more __?" should be taken under each suggested theme I think. :)

Sounds about right, I've never gotten more than a B1 for a poetry essay. :o

You don't want to give me a look at an essay of yours as a sample do you? :) :P I've only ever seen/used the poem-by-poem layout.

Also, raged I didnt do economics right now. My friend got an A1 in his mock and said I definitely would have, and if I'd done it my timetable would match his and I'd have good teachers. :L

What I mean is like, you'd say something in the opening paragraph along the lines of

"Heaney has an exceptional talent for evoking a childhood mentality. We see this in "A Constable Calls", "The Forge" and "The Harvest Bow". Poetry itself features as a theme in several of Heaney's poems, and in particular his feelings towards his craft are explored in "The Forge", "Bogland" and "The Harvest Bow"."

and then discuss these in detail later on in the essay. Works for me anyway. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

Honestly nearly fell asleep today in chemistry. We have a double after lunch and it wasn't because it was boring, actually I find this topic quite interesting, but just out of pure exhaustion. Came home, went to grinds for an hour, came back, had dinner and fell asleep until 9. This is worrying me, I have loads to do but still wrecked :( I have 2 english essays that were due one last week and another today, but I honestly can't find the time to do them well. I could do them half arsed but that's no good to me. I'm also feeling sick, which I'm putting down to stress. Hate this so much!!!

Lads,big news for our Gaeilgóirs here.

Raidió Rí Rá are releasing their "Ceol" CD this wednesday in the Irish Independent/Foinse.
    Delorentos,
    The Coronas,
    Bell X1,
    The Riptide Movement,
    The Kanyu Tree

among those featuring. Can't wait, just hope it's not a compilation CD!

Eathrin wrote: »
    Lads,big news for our Gaeilgóirs here...

I saw that a couple of days ago, bhí áthas an domhain orm! :D

Togepi wrote: »
    Sounds about right, I've never gotten more than a B1 for a poetry essay. :o

You don't want to give me a look at an essay of yours as a sample do you? :) :P I've only ever seen/used the poem-by-poem layout.
    Sure, I told someone else I'd PM them my poetry because they gave me business notes but one of my friends has them right now, I'll PM them to anyone who wants them when I get them back - might take a little while though, lots of study to do. :P So if anyone would like them just PM me with whatever poets you need help with, I havent done and wont be doing Kinsella though.

What I mean is like, you'd say something in the opening paragraph along the lines of

"Heaney has an exceptional talent for evoking a childhood mentality. We see this in "A Constable Calls", "The Forge" and "The Harvest Bow". Poetry itself features as a theme in several of Heaney's poems, and in particular his feelings towards his craft are explored in "The Forge", "Bogland" and "The Harvest Bow"."

and then discuss these in detail later on in the essay. Works for me anyway. :P
    Yep, thats how I do it if it suits the question, tis the way to go :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I hate sixth year, and study, and all of this ****. Can I get someone to take my exams for me?

Eathrin wrote: »
    Lads,big news for our Gaeilgóirs here.

Raidió Rí Rá are releasing their "Ceol" CD this wednesday in the Irish Independent/Foinse.
    Delorentos,
    The Coronas,
    Bell X1,
    The Riptide Movement,
    The Kanyu Tree

among those featuring. Can't wait, just hope it's not a compilation CD!
    Paha, some guy at Oxegen told me he was their lead singer to get the shift

Paha, some guy at Oxegen told me he was their lead singer to get the shift

Yeah I'm at terrible liar...:(

It worked though. Top tip for cracking onto (extremely drunk) girls right there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Had a practice Irish oral today and was kinda nervous because it was with a teacher from another school.However I was told I did very good so Im happy :D
    How do ye feel about your orals? And what ye hoping to get in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

Only 10 weeks till the leaving...:eek:
    On the other hand only 12 weeks until the summer, lets get her done lads :cool:

It worked though. Top tip for cracking onto (extremely drunk) girls right there
    I'm trying that in the near future:P
    David1994 wrote: »
    Had a practice Irish oral today and was kinda nervous because it was with a teacher from another school.However I was told I did very good so Im happy :D
    How do ye feel about your orals? And what ye hoping to get in them?

Had mine today, to be honest I was a bit pissed off that I was docked marks for no apparent reason, as far as I was concerned, what I had to say was more than satisfactory for both the sraithphictúirí and the cómhrá yet I got 65/80 in the SP, not sure yet what I got in the conversation but she seemed to be concentrating too hard on the negatives and trying her hardest to dock me marks.

On the contrary I was satisfied with french where they looked to give you marks.

Seriously...fúck you Irish oral.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

This heat is absolutely chronic.. Not complaining or anything but how are you supposed to do any study with weather like this? I dread the cramming sessions in May if the heat is going to be anything like this :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I'm so happy the years almost over:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Got my practice oral result back today :D 215/240 yay! Seemingly it was marked really hard aswell..Hopefully can do this well in real thing :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement