Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert. '11/'12 Off-Topic

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

SeanMadd wrote: »
    Oh yeah, doesn't a woman come up every year? :p I'm doing Plath, Rich, Kavanagh and Heaney, and am just not at all bothered learning Boland :pac:
    Every year they've been on the course, one has come up. It's a safe bet, but a bet all the same :o Be graaaand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Think im going to focus on Plath,Heaney and Larkin.Will have ok-ish answers on Boland and Rich :D

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Manic2

I'm going to really focus on Rich and Kinsella, and just learn enough for Plath and Heaney to get by. I'm doing damn all for Kavanagh.
    I've a feeling Plath with either be Boland 2.0 or a really hard question that everyone will do because everyone learned her, therefore being marked really hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

Manic2 wrote: »
    I'm going to really focus on Rich and Kinsella, and just learn enough for Plath and Heaney to get by. I'm doing damn all for Kavanagh.
    I've a feeling Plath with either be Boland 2.0 or a really hard question that everyone will do because everyone learned her, therefore being marked really hard.

Yeah I bet everyone will pick her. I hope Heaney comes up though! :pac: Just wondering, is anyone doing any non-common language subjects? Like latin, russian.. swedish? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭galwaymusic

HL Irish Aiste - Spórt or Na Cluichí Oilimpeacha? Please don't say both haha :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I have one on sport mentioning the olympics, might be a good idea :) I think the olympics would maybe be a bit too specific and if you do sport and integrate it, it means you can fit sport into other things - mines the (dis)advantages of sport so it fits a few things :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

We're doing one on the Olympic Games, so I would say do that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

David1994 wrote: »
    Think im going to focus on Plath,Heaney and Larkin.Will have ok-ish answers on Boland and Rich :D

I'm not really bothered by the Poets. I'm doing the following in order of chances of coming up (IMO):
    1. Thomas Kinsella
    2. Adrienne Rich
    3. Sylvia Plath
    4. Seamus Heaney
    5. Philip Larkin

Just learning 4/5 poems from each, imagery, themes, quotes, done.

Hamlet is my main preoccupation at the minute. I have 14 essay plans to do out that I think will cover me for any question that may appear:
    1. Hamlet's Character
    2. Characterisation of Women
    3. Theme of Revenge
    4. Importance of Soliloquys
    5. Theme of Love
    6. Conflict between Claudius and Hamlet
    7. Character of Horatio
    8. Theme of Deception
    9. False Appearances VS. Reality
    10. Dramatic Scene in the Play
    11. Account for the Enduring Popularity of Hamlet
    12. Imagery in the Play
    13. Hamlet's Madness
    14. Character of Polonius

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Is anyone doing only 4(or less) poets? We're only starting Boland after the Easter holidays and I don't know if I should bother paying attention or not and just focus on my other 4 poets :D Am I risking it or is 1/4 guaranteed?

I've only got Plath , Boland , Rich and Heaney finished be done after easter after about a week . The class has Kavanagh done but I wasn't in the class but in another english class before so I haven't got him done. I might try and learn Kavanagh or Larkin myself I have notes in the poetry books I have. I do like Larkin he seems like a good poet and possible come up . And as I don't really think Boland will be on this year and in the institute for a revision course on christmas the teacher said it was unlikely Boland will come up and focused on Plath and Larkin . A female poet will always come up so if you have all of the female poets covered you know one of them will come up.

I've only got Plath , Boland , Rich and Heaney finished be done after easter after about a week . The class has Kavanagh done but I wasn't in the class but in another english class before so I haven't got him done. I might try and learn Kavanagh or Larkin myself I have notes in the poetry books I have. I do like Larkin he seems like a good poet and possible come up . And as I don't really think Boland will be on this year and in the institute for a revision course on christmas the teacher said it was unlikely Boland will come up and focused on Plath and Larkin . A female poet will always come up so if you have all of the female poets covered you know one of them will come up.

Same poets :pac: Haha

PictureFrame - 14 ESSAYS?! I don't even think I have that many English essays altogether :o I hate dislike Hamlet so I'm just doing the main characters and deception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

PF, Rich isnt coming up just because she died - the exams were made ages ago and honestly its most likely to be plath/heaney/larkin/kinsella/kavanagh, maybe even boland, imo.

How is everyone managing going out and that over easter? Are you just using your time to study?

I'm either just going to stay in and study and make full use for the two weeks and I have my economics mock after easter . Or I might go out once during week once as I'm not going out after Easter until this LC is over. I might not go out though as it's hard to study after a night out being tired and that . I wouldn't want to risk getting out of a study routine. It feels really close to the lc again.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭AlmightyDublin

Today's tip: Never, NEVER, get the shift off someone outside the chipper after they've had a kebab. You. Will. Get. Sick. :/

Patchy~ wrote: »
    PF, Rich isnt coming up just because she died - the exams were made ages ago and honestly its most likely to be plath/heaney/larkin/kinsella/kavanagh, maybe even boland, imo.
    I know that, it's nothing to do with the fact that she died. She's only been examined twice since the new course was introduced 10 years ago, and she's a personal favourite of mine so this is a bit of wishful thinking too ;)

PictureFrame - 14 ESSAYS?! I don't even think I have that many English essays altogether :o I hate dislike Hamlet so I'm just doing the main characters and deception.
    I HATE Hamlet too, but I need the A. The Teacher is pushing for an A1 and I just really want to hold on to an A2 and i'll be happy. They're essay plans though, not full essays. They're handy enough to learn anyway!

Lol my teacher just said to have all the female poets done then she was going to do others , Heaney , Larkin and Kavanagh. I don't know if she still is doing Larkin as we still need to do paper 1 things. I really hope Plath comes up as I really like her poems , the same with Heaney and Larkin I've looked over a few of his . I wouldn't mind Rich either shes easy to relate to.

I still need to write Hamlet essays I've kind of abandoned him for a while focusing on the others. I still need to learn quotes . The Hamlet essays take me so long to write though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭galwaymusic

Sound thanks:) so here are the Irish Aistes I am doing..is it enough?
    • Spórt
    • Cúlu Eacnamíochta/ Dífhostaíocht
    • Coiriulacht
    • Daoine Óga
    • Córas Oideachas

Is that enough to be safe?
    I'll do out the essays and learn ALL vocab, cconsidering it's 80/100 for the Gaeilge and only 20/100 for the smaointe!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Spent about aaages doing three biology exam questions today. 2004 was a bitch of a paper, lawds

Have a good study plan made out for the next 2 weeks :D Have mainly been focusing on bringing my grades up in Chemistry and Biology but a lot of oral work in Spanish is needed to be done haha :P

Does everyone else still use their books/notes when studying to answer questions from the past papers?

it's weird how close it's getting and probably should start trying to answer without the use of notes/textbook soon. The year is flying by so fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I don't really see the point in that tbh. I don't have the books open beside me, but I will check the book to find the answer or I'll never know it.

Really starting to get anxious at this stage. I need 560 min realistically and I'm really doubting I can do it, even though technically by my marks I might be able? I'm so worried all my work so far has been marked too easy and I'm going to come out with less than my mocks :(

Does everyone else still use their books/notes when studying to answer questions from the past papers?

it's weird how close it's getting and probably should start trying to answer without the use of notes/textbook soon. The year is flying by so fast.

For a lot of questions I normally need my notes :/ Its getting crazy now!

David1994 wrote: »
    For a lot of questions I normally need my notes :/ Its getting crazy now!

Me too especially economics as it's one I picked this year. Other subjects I do know the answer but not in as great detail so thats when I need to go through my notes. I find the more I write something down , I remember it more.
    I do wonder sometimes if I'm actually remembering what I write down.
    And it's 10 weeks 3 days away, I'll probably try and study the notes before answering the questions and see what I remember.

Next weekend I'm sitting a few papers under exam conditions. Mini mocks!

I HATE Hamlet too, but I need the A. The Teacher is pushing for an A1 and I just really want to hold on to an A2 and i'll be happy. They're essay plans though, not full essays. They're handy enough to learn anyway!

Ooohh A2 how great are we :rolleyes: lawl JK. How do you get such a good grade in English? I think English is the only subject where I'm "stuck", as in, I can't get past a B grade. I got a B3 in the mocks and just 1% off a B2, so I'm aiming for a B1, but honestly I don't know how to improve. My essays for homework nearly always fall in the 70% margin and I can never get higher(cry), bar Heaney who got me an A1 ;) So what I'm trying to say is, WAT R UR TIPS 2 GET GUD AT EENGLESH?

Lol my teacher just said to have all the female poets done then she was going to do others , Heaney , Larkin and Kavanagh. I don't know if she still is doing Larkin as we still need to do paper 1 things. I really hope Plath comes up as I really like her poems , the same with Heaney and Larkin I've looked over a few of his . I wouldn't mind Rich either shes easy to relate to.

I still need to write Hamlet essays I've kind of abandoned him for a while focusing on the others. I still need to learn quotes . The Hamlet essays take me so long to write though.

Exact same with me. I just sit at my desk with endless amounts of notes around me trying to piece together a good essay :rolleyes: Maybe if I want to improve I should do my own work? :eek: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

Does anyone else despise their year group as much as I do? (Only two or so months left of having to see these scrotes everyday!)

Does anyone else despise their year group as much as I do? (Only two or so months left of having to see these scrotes everyday!)

I feel you, I'm so impatient and irritable these days with everyone! I don't mind my year terribly, I'm just desperate for a few new faces. And a new girlfriend to boot, so sick of being single :P

I'm not the only one :eek: *phew*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

Chuchoter wrote: »
    I feel you, I'm so impatient and irritable these days with everyone! I don't mind my year terribly, I'm just desperate for a few new faces. And a new girlfriend to boot, so sick of being single :P
    My year are fairly bad, it's very segregated and full of scaldy lads and chungwans. Not a nice environment! Haha same here - it's slim pickings in my school when it comes to decent lads!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement