Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert. '11/'12 Off-Topic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

SeanMadd wrote: »
    No I did two Paper 2's for my mocks, and was meant to have a Paper 1 mocks last thursday but I was out sick :D Yeah I hate statistics but the questions were actually grand!

Do get me started on 'evaluate' :mad: Just hate making points then having to basically say it again in a paragraph! It's like a conclusion to an english essay!

I'm not sure if we're doing a paper 2 mock. I'm still yet to get my paper 1 results back from like 4/5 weeks ago now.

I don't mind "evaluate" but I hate "illustrate" as I can't always think of an example then I end up writing a waffley example trying to think of something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

I'm not sure if we're doing a paper 2 mock. I'm still yet to get my paper 1 results back from like 4/5 weeks ago now.

I don't mind "evaluate" but I hate "illustrate" as I can't always think of an example then I end up writing a waffley example trying to think of something.

Yeah hate that too! I can't remember what the question was but it asked for an example and I was like, "a group of a ceramic cat collectors who get together to.. bla bla" :D Wasn't in my mock or anything just homework :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Namlub wrote: »
    Speaking of business, my teacher gave us the short questions from an old pre exam to do but there are terms that don't appear anywhere in my textbook and this is worrying...like even if I knew the whole book off by heart I couldn't define 'product portfolio' or 'product positioning' or 'thought showering' because they're not in it :confused:
    Yeah, I've never heard any of those before...I guess thought showering might be like brain storming? I think positioning is like what Finches did, putting a high price to imply high quality, but thats just a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Finally ;) All the language discussions seemed to be French people all the time.

Unfriendly yoke :rolleyes:

It wouldn't have been so obvious if leaveiton hadn't gone out of their way to foresee the future, predict exactly what I was going to say and then post a friendlier version two seconds beforehand just to show me up. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I'm seriously considering doing Business, Economics and Sociology (BESS) in Trinity. But, i'm scared of the sheer size of the place! I've never been there but i'm terrified it'll be way too big and i'll end up with no friends, not knowing where I am, hate the course and drop out after 3 months! :(

I actually don't know what to do! D:

• Advertisement

I'm seriously considering doing Business, Economics and Sociology (BESS) in Trinity. But, i'm scared of the sheer size of the place! I've never been there but i'm terrified it'll be way too big and i'll end up with no friends, not knowing where I am, hate the course and drop out after 3 months! :(

Its smaller than UCD and the campus is quite nice, but the arts block is hideous. Where else were you considering? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Trinity is really nice, it's not really very big at all. I think most people worry about things like that at first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Its smaller than UCD and the campus is quite nice, but the arts block is hideous. Where else were you considering? :)

At least in Trinity it's just the arts block. In UCD the entire thing is a horrible concrete disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Yeah, I've never heard any of those before...I guess thought showering might be like brain storming? I think positioning is like what Finches did, putting a high price to imply high quality, but thats just a guess.

Yeh, thought showering just sounds like an even more ridiculous word for brainstorming :P
    Heh, at first I thought product positioning was like putting milk at the back of the shop so customers pick up more stuff on the way, but apparently it's 'the process by which marketers try to create an image or identity in the minds of their target market for its product, brand, or organization.' Riiight...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

It's either TCD or NUIM. :rolleyes: I honestly don't know what to pick
    finality wrote: »
    Trinity is really nice, it's not really very big at all. I think most people worry about things like that at first.

Well i've never actually been there, but that's what i'd be thinking, uggghh i'm so confused!

• Advertisement

Yeah hate that too! I can't remember what the question was but it asked for an example and I was like, "a group of a ceramic cat collectors who get together to.. bla bla" :D Wasn't in my mock or anything just homework :rolleyes:

I need to think of business expansion ones I know one for an alliance. I managed to remember one for the merger just randomly put down upc taking over ntl I wasn't sure if they actually did.

I remember there was a question with a product of your choice outline/illustrate the product development stages. I couldn't think of one at the time I do now after being told examples.

Why can't business just have straightforward questions...? The abq for this year is confusing well the question the first one in the paper canvas productions or something like that. It was a question about the outside and inside of a business identifying opportunities. I could think of the opportunities but I couldn't find an example in the text for all of them :S.

You should go for which course you think suits you best. You could always try and visit the Trinity campus sometime. If you have questions email the university to find out more about the course .
    My cousin goes to Trinity she said it's nice and loves it there .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Finally ;) All the language discussions seemed to be French people all the time.

I know, us poor Deutsch students don't get a look in! :p
    finality wrote: »
    It wouldn't have been so obvious if leaveiton hadn't gone out of their way to foresee the future, predict exactly what I was going to say and then post a friendlier version two seconds beforehand just to show me up. :(

Always one step ahead, me! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Ugh, I keep thinking I should do languages/arts in college because I love languages more than any other subjects, but what are you meant to do with a degree in languages? :confused: (Apart from becoming a translator/interpreter/teacher - none of which really interest me at all.)

Togepi wrote: »
    Ugh, I keep thinking I should do languages/arts in college because I love languages more than any other subjects, but what are you meant to do with a degree in languages? :confused: (Apart from becoming a translator/interpreter/teacher - none of which really interest me at all.)

Why not do something that you like with a language? I wanted to do languages too but hated the idea of translating someone's conversations and what not :rolleyes: If you were doing arts anyway would you just choose all languages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Why not do something that you like with a language? I wanted to do languages too but hated the idea of translating someone's conversations and what not :rolleyes: If you were doing arts anyway would you just choose all languages?

There's no course that I want that includes a language - they're all law/business/commerce/journalism degrees, but I'm kind of arty so that doesn't really mix with languages at all. :( If I was doing Arts I'd do French, another language, and probably English and Psychology or some other subject. But I'd have to give up on the arty stuff if I did that so it's hard to decide! (Especially when I don't know if I'd like the career I'd be likely to have after doing languages.)

Superbus wrote: »
    At least in Trinity it's just the arts block. In UCD the entire thing is a horrible concrete disaster.
    I chose UCD over TCD because I actually thought the entire thing was really nice! :pac:
    Namlub wrote: »
    Yeh, thought showering just sounds like an even more ridiculous word for brainstorming :P
    Heh, at first I thought product positioning was like putting milk at the back of the shop so customers pick up more stuff on the way, but apparently it's 'the process by which marketers try to create an image or identity in the minds of their target market for its product, brand, or organization.' Riiight...
    Would have thought that was promotion myself :P
    It's either TCD or NUIM. :rolleyes: I honestly don't know what to pick

Well i've never actually been there, but that's what i'd be thinking, uggghh i'm so confused!
    Visit if you have time, its quite nice, I was there on Saturday and all the blossom trees were nice to look at :P I've heard NUIM is like a secondary school though.
    I'm doing languages too, I dunno what I'll do with it but I've heard theres huge demand for language skills :) What else are you meant to do besides those 3 things though? Could always live in other countries and do something there :D

There's no course that I want that includes a language - they're all law/business/commerce/journalism degrees, but I'm kind of arty so that doesn't really mix with languages at all. :( If I was doing Arts I'd do French, another language, and probably English and Psychology or some other subject. But I'd have to give up on the arty stuff if I did that so it's hard to decide! (Especially when I don't know if I'd like the career I'd be likely to have after doing languages.)

That's so weird I had also contemplated over art and psychology :pac: Then thought of languages and finally settled on commerce with spanish. I was going to do an art portfolio in september and all! I know what you mean, I've mixed emotions about doing business and giving up the aul art but I still draw in my spare time, and I'm telling myself that I'll go to one of the art colleges in England in a few years time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Does anyone else do German here?
    I'm going to sound like someone desperate to fit in right now :rolleyes:
    but yeah me too :) only 9 in my year do it so it gets lonely being a german student :o
    and on boards its like french french french :rolleyes: :P

but yeah me too :) only 9 in my year do it so it gets lonely being a german student :o

I know right? Jesus german is so scarce in this country ;) But seriously, only a couple thousand do german and sh-t loads do French? Why is that? I can get that it seems like a more "attractive" language and german may seem "ugly" but still. Most of my year does french and they all hate it :D Unlike us deutsch jugendliche :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭AlmightyDublin

I know right? Jesus german is so scarce in this country ;) But seriously, only a couple thousand do german and sh-t loads do French? Why is that? I can get that it seems like a more "attractive" language and german may seem "ugly" but still. Most of my year does french and they all hate it :D Unlike us deutsch jugendliche :rolleyes:
    :D Love the way you don't defend it haha :P

I did french for jc and i kinda wished i kept in on for lc too but i kinda get why loads of people do it :) its a very beautiful language and it sounds lovely when its spoken :) but i think german is a pretty language too even though most people dont think it is! I think part of the problem is , that it isnt offered as a subject in a school or something. In my school we had to keep on french and german was optional :( kinda sucks like

:D Love the way you don't defend it haha :P

Well it does sound angry or that we've something stuck in our throats :rolleyes: I like getting in the angry german spirit in the 5th role play ;) Hahaha

I did french for jc and i kinda wished i kept in on for lc too but i kinda get why loads of people do it :) its a very beautiful language and it sounds lovely when its spoken :) but i think german is a pretty language too even though most people dont think it is! I think part of the problem is , that it isnt offered as a subject in a school or something. In my school we had to keep on french and german was optional :( kinda sucks like

TRAITOR! Only joking. I myself wished I had picked up French in TY or something :o Yeah it is nice, I quite like the accent and as well I like France :)

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭AlmightyDublin

Well it does sound angry or that we've something stuck in our throats :rolleyes: I like getting in the angry german spirit in the 5th role play ;) Hahaha
    Yeah haha, we had no choice but to do it :pac: The first years in me school can do spanish now :pac: I''d prefer french, but german is grand anyways ha :)

We had to do French and had the option of Spanish. Three teachers in my school speak German yet it isnt taught. :/ I love French though :D

TRAITOR! Only joking. I myself wished I had picked up French in TY or something :o Yeah it is nice, I quite like the accent and as well I like France :)
    lolz just as i was in the german group , i'm outta it :rolleyes: jk jk :P
    yeah i wish schools had more options with regard to languages :) like japenese or something but i suppose its not feasible :P
    We had to do French and had the option of Spanish. Three teachers in my school speak German yet it isnt taught. :/ I love French though :D

See!! :mad: :P lolz german and spanish seem to be sidelined a lot like :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Im doing German and we had 3 teachers in the past year and as a result of that I'm doing OL now :( German is like a subject cursed by Voldemort in our school, no teacher stays for long :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I leave for 2 days and I miss a lot:D
    Is anyone doing only 4(or less) poets? We're only starting Boland after the Easter holidays and I don't know if I should bother paying attention or not and just focus on my other 4 poets :D Am I risking it or is 1/4 guaranteed?

Just Plath really,
    might know someone else a small bit as desperate backup like Larkin.
    I'm not really bothered by the Poets. I'm doing the following in order of chances of coming up (IMO):
    1. Thomas Kinsella
    2. Adrienne Rich
    3. Sylvia Plath
    4. Seamus Heaney
    5. Philip Larkin

Just learning 4/5 poems from each, imagery, themes, quotes, done.

Hamlet is my main preoccupation at the minute. I have 14 essay plans to do out that I think will cover me for any question that may appear:
    1. Hamlet's Character
    2. Characterisation of Women
    3. Theme of Revenge
    4. Importance of Soliloquys
    5. Theme of Love
    6. Conflict between Claudius and Hamlet
    7. Character of Horatio
    8. Theme of Deception
    9. False Appearances VS. Reality
    10. Dramatic Scene in the Play
    11. Account for the Enduring Popularity of Hamlet
    12. Imagery in the Play
    13. Hamlet's Madness
    14. Character of Polonius
    Wow that's some Hamlet prep:eek:! I just watch the film as prep:P
    How is everyone managing going out and that over easter? Are you just using your time to study?

I'm either just going to stay in and study and make full use for the two weeks and I have my economics mock after easter . Or I might go out once during week once as I'm not going out after Easter until this LC is over. I might not go out though as it's hard to study after a night out being tired and that . I wouldn't want to risk getting out of a study routine. It feels really close to the lc again.
    Going out every day:), might do some french oral work tomorrow night, have to stick all my handouts in folders first, oh and I should do a spórt aiste at some stage too during easter methinks.
    Sound thanks:) so here are the Irish Aistes I am doing..is it enough?
    • Spórt
    • Cúlu Eacnamíochta/ Dífhostaíocht
    • Coiriulacht
    • Daoine Óga
    • Córas Oideachas

Is that enough to be safe?
    I'll do out the essays and learn ALL vocab, cconsidering it's 80/100 for the Gaeilge and only 20/100 for the smaointe!!
    I think that's plenty considering what you said, it is only 20 for smaointí.
    Also they're probably the best topics.
    Don't forget either that 3 of them come up between aiste and diospoireacht.
    Does everyone else still use their books/notes when studying to answer questions from the past papers?

it's weird how close it's getting and probably should start trying to answer without the use of notes/textbook soon. The year is flying by so fast.
    I'll do it without the book as much as I can these days but it's still a handy resource.
    Plan for today is at least start doing all the business exam questions...

...I'll start later :rolleyes:

I'll start later, motto of LC year:pac:
    I don't really like the TCD campus, it's got some class to it, but it's buildings are quite old and it's not exactly packed out with facilities!
    And yes, awful, awful Arts block!
    Superbus wrote: »
    I actually love the UCD campus:)
    Except for the Newman building, burn it with fire!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭The High Crusade

I do German too! Aww yeah

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement