Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert. '11/'12 Off-Topic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Anybody up for Irish oral video chats now?
    PM me your Skype name, or is there a better way of doing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

I think I've only done a appearance vs reality last year I think and that got about a c1 or something. I might have done another one aswell. I haven't done many essays on Hamlet. I need to do a revenge essay to . I have so much essays to write on Hamlet plus learning the quotes. My teachers going to have a lot to correct :) lol. I must start Hamlet tomorrow. And do more of the comparative and make sure not to go off topic this only happens in the 70mark question.

Yeah same, I've to re-redo my comparative essay from my mock, apparently I didn't improve after I re-did it last week :( I've to same problem, and not addressing the question after each paragraph. Jesus there's only so much I can say :rolleyes: I think I'll attempt the two-part question, I might not lose much marks that way :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Namlub wrote: »
    Random question but does anyone know if Supervalu take licences as id?
    Yeah Supervalu should take it :) In work , we take it as far as I can recall, sorry dont work on checkouts :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

Namlub wrote: »
    I get that you're trying to be funny, but what does that even mean?

As in beware/ avoid/ take heed etc....

Listen I get that many on this forum most likely have a course in Trinity down on their CAO. But IMO I would stay well clear. People (well rounded & sound) have hated it with a passion(I'm not basing this on one person's view but several). It's supposed to be extremely clicky, the people fake and the general atmosphere not great.

I know I wouldn't survive in an environment like that, but hey everyone adapts differently- you could be well suited to the place. Just saying- watch out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

God need to do my general vision and viewpoint essay out tomorrow but could somebody give any tips or what the layout or breakdown for the 70 marks answer entail?? Not really sure where to start....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Eathrin wrote: »
    Anybody up for Irish oral video chats now?
    PM me your Skype name, or is there a better way of doing it?

Yeah I might be able to go on in a bit if you're still up for it?
    That mind frame is much snobbier than going to Trinity imo.

Agreed. It's funny because most of the ones who hate Trinity have probably never even walked past the place let alone know the first thing about it! Nothing like a bit of prejudice though, eh? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I did eight hours of French. Eight. Hours. Huit.

Et j'ai parlé avec un homme irlandais en francaise. J'ai dit 'le salle de bains ferme'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

silversky wrote: »

Listen I get that many on this forum most likely have a course in Trinity down on their CAO. But IMO I would stay well clear. People (well rounded & sound) have hated it with a passion(I'm not basing this on one person's view but several). It's supposed to be extremely clicky, the people fake and the general atmosphere not great.

I know I wouldn't survive in an environment like that, but hey everyone adapts differently- you could be well suited to the place. Just saying- watch out.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just like your opinion, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

SeanMadd wrote: »
    Yeah same, I've to re-redo my comparative essay from my mock, apparently I didn't improve after I re-did it last week :( I've to same problem, and not addressing the question after each paragraph. Jesus there's only so much I can say :rolleyes: I think I'll attempt the two-part question, I might not lose much marks that way :D

It's hard with having to compare 3 texts sometimes I feel that I'm writing too much. Sometimes I end up bringing relationships into it when I'm doing general vision. I hope GV+V comes up but Theme comes up more. Yeah thats my problem too not always addressing the question. The paper 2 seems really long like having to write 3 essays. I need to practise I'm not sat a english higher only the ordinary .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

It's hard with having to compare 3 texts sometimes I feel that I'm writing too much. Sometimes I end up bringing relationships into it when I'm doing general vision. I hope GV+V comes up but Theme comes up more. Yeah thats my problem too not always addressing the question. The paper 2 seems really long like having to write 3 essays. I need to practise I'm not sat a english higher only the ordinary .
    GV+V is likely for this year since theme came up last year :) But so is literary genre...steering completely clear of that, sounds dumb, we didnt do it anyway :P

• Advertisement

Patchy~ wrote: »
    GV+V is likely for this year since theme came up last year :) But so is literary genre...steering completely clear of that, sounds dumb, we didnt do it anyway :P

My teacher gave us notes on the three I don't like literary genre. I only took the How Many Miles to Babylon at the beginning then decided to only do GV+V and Theme. An when my teacher set homework for Literary Genre I told her I was only studying the other two . I just did a different essay. I can't stand literally genre it doesn't seem like something I would remember and the dialogues an things.

Not many people do the essays my teacher gives. I'm usually one of the few who do give her work.
    Is anyone elses class like this? not many doing essays set? or handing up work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

My teacher gave us notes on the three I don't like literary genre. I only took the How Many Miles to Babylon at the beginning then decided to only do GV+V and Theme. An when my teacher set homework for Literary Genre I told her I was only studying the other two . I just did a different essay. I can't stand literally genre it doesn't seem like something I would remember and the dialogues an things.

Not many people do the essays my teacher gives. I'm usually one of the few who do give her work.

Yeah I feckin hate Literary Genre, it's so boring describing the setting, how each text is narrated, etc. General vision is easier IMO :D Not really, only recently has my teacher said we can either do the essays or not but the majority do it.

Yeah, it seems silly - they did it one year in my school and apparently it was a disaster. I wish we got to do cultural context though, mine would fit so well :( My teacher gives homework but its not compulsory, the smart people will do it :P

Togepi wrote: »
    Yeah I might be able to go on in a bit if you're still up for it?

Sure we'll wait until tomorrow night.
    HistoryKitten is also in, so we may be able to rope a few more in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

There is nothing to say about Gertrude. I can make an essay out of most things, but seriously, Gertrude is so boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

Togepi wrote: »

Agreed. It's funny because most of the ones who hate Trinity have probably never even walked past the place let alone know the first thing about it! Nothing like a bit of prejudice though, eh? :rolleyes:

Hmmm, on second thoughts I think you're well suited, you'll fit in no bother.
    Superbus wrote: »
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just like your opinion, man.

Yep, agree with you 100%.

Eathrin wrote: »
    Sure we'll wait until tomorrow night.
    HistoryKitten is also in, so we may be able to rope a few more in.

*cough* if i dont back out again :rolleyes:
    I have study again tomorrow :( 9 to 7 ... :( hard going i'm telling ya lads and i have to be up at half 7 :( Better get the 600 after this...... :pac: jk jk

Where are you getting this "fitting in" idea from. If you're going to go somewhere with all of this prejudice and stereotyping then of course you're going to feel as if one type of person will "fit in" better than the rest. You should keep an open mind about these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

*cough* if i dont back out again :rolleyes:
    I have study again tomorrow :( 9 to 7 ... :( hard going i'm telling ya lads and i have to be up at half 7 :( Better get the 600 after this...... :pac: jk jk

YOU CAN DO IT!

Also, can I get in on these French skype sessions lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Could anyone tell me where in Dublin I could get the English Key Notes book? Easons? Reads?

They have it in Easons, it should be downstairs with all the schoolbooks. I got mine there around this time last year, anyway! I like the username btw, Fight Like Apes reference? :D

• Advertisement

To the Skype peoples - yay there's a few of us! :P PM me your usernames whenever so we can add each other and stuff. :) I can maybe try tomorrow night if everyone wants to, but I can't make any promises. :o

Am, why so harsh? All I said was that it was a bit silly of the people I know to hate a place they no nothing about. Sorry if that makes me a horrible person!

And I won't fit in there no bother because I'm not going there. :P

I'd volunteer for skype but...I'm awkward :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I personally think if you can't make friends in a college of 10,000 people,clicky or not, you're probably the problem not the college.

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    YOU CAN DO IT!

Also, can I get in on these French skype sessions lads?

Doubt i'll make it to the end of this week :( hate it so much :( I just want to enjoy the hols :( 11 hours study , tbh i'm going mad :o

trying to study but im struggling, im sick :( sneezing violently every 5 minutes and having a tingly face for the entire time kinda ruins any study motivation i had :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Chuchoter wrote: »
    I personally think if you can't make friends in a college of 10,000 people,clicky or not, you're probably the problem not the college.

No, ALL Trinity students are pretentious snobs and you're just being persecuted.

I'd volunteer for skype but...I'm awkward :pac:

Oh I'm awkward as hell, but sure we'll see how it goes. :P

If I manage a one minute conversation I'll be proud. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I am really good at french and think I should get in on these french sessions!

SeanMadd wrote: »
    Yeah I feckin hate Literary Genre, it's so boring describing the setting, how each text is narrated, etc. General vision is easier IMO :D Not really, only recently has my teacher said we can either do the essays or not but the majority do it.

My teacher doesn't care whether people do the essays she says it's up to them .
    Only the people who are really putting in the work or hoping for high grades do the essays.
    I wonder how many people actually do Literary Genre :S it must be easier to get marks if less attempt that question. Hopefully it'll be Theme and GV+V which comes up.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it seems silly - they did it one year in my school and apparently it was a disaster. I wish we got to do cultural context though, mine would fit so well :( My teacher gives homework but its not compulsory, the smart people will do it :P

I know I love that question. It's similar to social setting which was on ordinary level as well. I find that really easy to do it's easier to remember things.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement