Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert. '11/'12 Off-Topic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Namlub wrote: »
    So my Irish teacher was saying that the aiste was supposed to be around 500 words, instead of the old 600, in the new syllabus and that's what it says in the sample papers and stuff, but teacher complained so it's been put back up to 600. Souuuuuuund

since when was an aiste 3 A4 pages long?:eek:

Our teacher has been giving us the occasional tip/phrase and expects them to be a page and a half?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

donvito99 wrote: »

Our teacher has been giving us the occasional tip/phrase and expects them to be a page and a half?!?

yeah my teacher is still saying two?? maybe its just to make sure you have enough to keep ye going?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭EmptyWithMe

So my best mate lost her Home Ec folder with all of her assignments in it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

So my best mate lost her Home Ec folder with all of her assignments in it..

Omg. I'd actually die. The assignments are due in 3 weeks and take ages :/

On an almost equally crap note, I failed maths. First test I've ever failed in my life. It wasn't as if it was a hard test too :( got no attempt marks though, but I heard with this project maths it's all or nothing with no attempt marks? :confused: I ain't dropping though, those bonus points are too appealing :P

Siobhnk wrote: »

On an almost equally crap note, I failed maths. First test I've ever failed in my life. It wasn't as if it was a hard test too :( got no attempt marks though, but I heard with this project maths it's all or nothing with no attempt marks? :confused: I ain't dropping though, those bonus points are too appealing :P

They take forever. I gave my eggs journal to my teacher to look over 2 weeks ago. TWO. WEEKS. AGO. :mad:

What! No attempt marks? That can't be right! It doesn't matter much to me since I dropped like, in May, but still! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

So my Irish teacher was saying that the aiste was supposed to be around 500 words, instead of the old 600, in the new syllabus and that's what it says in the sample papers and stuff, but teacher complained so it's been put back up to 600. Souuuuuuund

AnnaKin wrote: »
    yeah my teacher is still saying two?? maybe its just to make sure you have enough to keep ye going?? :pac:

This suits me perfectly, 2 page essays are easy for me and I can usually manage 3 with little difficulty which is around 750 words for me.

They take forever. I gave my eggs journal to my teacher to look over 2 weeks ago. TWO. WEEKS. AGO. :mad:

What! No attempt marks? That can't be right! It doesn't matter much to me since I dropped like, in May, but still! :eek:

Oh dear :/ yeah I really can't wait to sign it off!!!!!

I'm not sure, my teacher corrected it to the marking scheme, and I got no attempt marks where I'm 99.999% I would have gotten them :/ like I added an extra bit into the sum where I shouldn't have, did the work perfectly afterwards and got nothing :( plus my sister gave grinds last year to a girl in a project maths pilot school and she said they don't get them? But I suppose we can't be 100% sure until we're told :/ I'm just being extra cautious now...

Oh dear :/ yeah I really can't wait to sign it off!!!!!

I'm not sure, my teacher corrected it to the marking scheme, and I got no attempt marks where I'm 99.999% I would have gotten them :/ like I added an extra bit into the sum where I shouldn't have, did the work perfectly afterwards and got nothing :( plus my sister gave grinds last year to a girl in a project maths pilot school and she said they don't get them? But I suppose we can't be 100% sure until we're told :/ I'm just being extra cautious now...
    Oh stop. I'll actually cry tears of happiness when I'm finished the bloody things. :P About to restart the food mixer/processor one. :)

It's ridiculous how we don't have papers/marking schemes yet. It's nearly the end of the first term, like..

Oh stop. I'll actually cry tears of happiness when I'm finished the bloody things. :P About to restart the food mixer/processor one. :)

It's ridiculous how we don't have papers/marking schemes yet. It's nearly the end of the first term, like..

I think I'll have a party... :P

Haha I know!! I think theres one Irish one up in the I Internet... Emphasis on the one..

Cian A wrote: »
    This suits me perfectly, 2 page essays are easy for me and I can usually manage 3 with little difficulty which is around 750 words for me.

sounds like you're doing well!! yeah, my teacher just goes " cailíní it used to be four pages, SURELY you can manage two??"

i was like " f**k Yeah!!!"

irish is waaay better this year, the thought of stair na gaeilge scared me :pac: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Haha I know!! I think theres one Irish one up in the I Internet... Emphasis on the one..

as for home ec, gave mine up last week, its gone outta my life, and my god THE RELIEF AND HAPPINESS!!! unreal! next time i feel that will be after the leaving methinks :o;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Sarah?

Lads ye're so lucky with Irish this year - no stair, 40% oral, less poems and all that! Éasca. :P My essays last year were around 2 or 3 pages, I ended up writing 4 on the day but if they want me to only write half that then sound!

Does anyone know how long we have for each paper now?

I'll be expecting my invite in the post. :p

One?! Jesus, they need to get their act together. :(
    AnnaKin wrote: »
    as for home ec, gave mine up last week, its gone outta my life, and my god THE RELIEF AND HAPPINESS!!! unreal! next time i feel that will be after the leaving methinks :o;)

You lucky duck! I can't wait for that feeling. <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

M&S* wrote: »
    I thought the open days were on the Thursday?
    Just looking at the handout now, they're on the Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Shuttle buses around the city are going to be right handy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

So, what do you guys think of Project Maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

The old syllabus was three pages but from now on it's 2 pages :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

We did a question the other day where we are asked to draw a graph after doing 50000000000 (slight exaggeration) equations, of how much a plumber charges per hour and how much 2/3/4 hours work would cost... My logical answer of the hourly rate times 2/3/4 was apparently not the right answer and caused a heated debate...

Stupid maths, with it's stupidness....

I don't even know what Project Maths is. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah - no attempt marks in Project Maths, so that's kinda messed up.

Also now that i think of it, does anyone else have an idiot physics teacher? Failed me because I didn't write definitions exactly how he gave them to us, in fact he marked some of mine wrong, when the guy across the room wrote the same and got it right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

The old syllabus was three pages but from now on it's 2 pages :)
    Like I said, it's apparently been changed back to to three pages? I'd love to big wrong like, but 'bhí a lán múinteoirí ag gearán', so she says :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Whaaaaaat? I'm crap at maths, attempt marks have probably saved me from failure for years. I actually don't understand Project Maths at all, and my teacher's going on maternity leave at christmas...

Whaaaaaat? I'm crap at maths, attempt marks have probably saved me from failure for years. I actually don't understand Project Maths at all, and my teacher's going on maternity leave at christmas...

*Pity fives Namlub* I'm in the same boat, only without the teacher going on maternity leave... I hate maths -.-

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

13spanner wrote: »
    I was told the Leaving Cert starts today 35 weeks :eek:

For HL Irish we've 20 picture stories. For the grind I'm doing, each one is a page to a page and a half long. Are ye learning them off, or just getting a rough idea?

Limerick open days Friday the 14th :D Looking forward to that!
    I'm learning off vocab only for them cause my Irish is good enough to struggle through with them.
    Also, we were originally supposed to have 5 oral pictures like German, but some Gaelgóir kunt from Connemara complained saying that it was a disgrace that there's so little so they put it up to 10 but she still wasn't happy so they doubled the number again. Gotta love saggy old hoors who only care about their own fluent little prïcks.
    I absolutely despise it :(

Also now that i think of it, does anyone else have an idiot physics teacher? Failed me because I didn't write definitions exactly how he gave them to us, in fact he marked some of mine wrong, when the guy across the room wrote the same and got it right...
    Serious? My teacher told us today that on the old course, you'd get for example 10 marks for full marks and 3 marks for an attempt, but now it'd be 10 marks for full marks and 6 for an attempt? :S fml

On the bright side, my grinds teacher is relieving so much of the stress honours Irish is putting on me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

Do we really need grinds?
    If you manage your week properly, you'll pass the Leaving Cert with not much trouble.

Yes. Yes we do.

Do we really need grinds?
    If you manage your week properly, you'll pass the Leaving Cert with not much trouble.
    Yes. Yes we do.

This. I absolutely need grinds in Chemistry because we sadly had a shyte teacher last year although my one this year is amazing, so organic chem is a breeze :)
    Irish is the bane of my existence, and if I had to do the work my teacher gives me I'd probably be suicidal

*raises hand* I'm so screwed for physics. Like, there's 11 in the class and even though he's a really nice guy, he just can't teach. At all.
    Starting midterm I'm doing my own blast of the physics course. We're not even going to be finished it but the time the mocks are on..

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭icedtea

I'm lucky in that I have the best Maths and Physics teacher in the country, but the things still a bitch to do....

*raises hand* I'm so screwed for physics. Like, there's 11 in the class and even though he's a really nice guy, he just can't teach. At all.
    Starting midterm I'm doing my own blast of the physics course. We're not even going to be finished it but the time the mocks are on..

I hate that so much, when you have a **** teacher but they're lovely and you feel soo bad calling them **** so you try to lie to yourself and tell yourself that they're good.. or is that just me :confused:

• Advertisement

I hate that so much, when you have a **** teacher but they're lovely and you feel soo bad calling them **** so you try to lie to yourself and tell yourself that they're good.. or is that just me :confused:
    Nope, I know exactly what you mean. I have him for pass maths too (I know, honours physics and pass maths :p) but I'm good enough at maths to make my own way through that..
    Doomed for physics!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement