Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert. '11/'12 Off-Topic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Just wondering what texts are ye doing for the comparitive study for English?.

We've Sive, The Girl With a Pearl Earring (terrible ending!! :( ) and Casa Blanca!
    Think I'm bored enough to do my CAO, although I was planning to leave it til I get my tonsils out as I'll have time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭EmptyWithMe

Ok thanks a million :) And they would be two completely different questions?.

Awh you're sooo lucky. Do you find the book helpful? :)
    Yep, there's 3 questions/essays that we've to cover and two of those come up on the exam. You only do one though. :)
    Theme or issiue (friendship)
    Vision and Viewpoint
    Literary genre
    I don't know much about the second two, haven't done them yet.

As for the book, I love it. It's got all the paper II stuff in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Yep, there's 3 questions/essays that we've to cover and two of those come up on the exam. You only do one though. :)
    Vision and Viewpoint
    Literary genre

`

Oh i get you. Thanks :) I was seriously confused.
    Ya I really must get that book :) Along with a whole pile of other revision books.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

Vision and Viewpoint
    Literary genre

I may get that book! We're doing those 3 texts as well but I have yet to grasp how to go about answering it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I've done like 6 hours study a day the last 3 days... Somethings gone seriously wrong that I don't mind studying that much! :P..

I've 3 courses down on my CAO, my career guidance teacher was like 'you have to put more down..' I was like, nah I don't think I will!. :P.. I just want 1 of choices I don't mind which one!

Law with French, English- NUI Maynooth
    Law with Economics- UCD
    Law with Business- NUI Maynooth

• Advertisement

This compar. is crazy! Last year, my old English techer just wrote our essay for it. For 2 texts she wrote out an 8 page essay on friendship! 8 pages! It's mean to be 4 or 5 like! And that includes the 3rd text! Our new English teacher didn't believe us when we told her. We had to redo the entire thing.

This compar. is crazy! Last year, my old English techer just wrote our essay for it. For 2 texts she wrote out an 8 page essay on friendship! 8 pages! It's mean to be 4 or 5 like! And that includes the 3rd text! Our new English teacher didn't believe us when we told her. We had to redo the entire thing.

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to teach :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Yep, as long as it suits the question. The theme or issue would be comparing friendships between 2 charachters in each text while setting and stuff would be your vision and viewpoint (I think.) :)

I have Key Notes! It's got my 3 texts in it. Lucky! :D

I'm suspicious that it's not luck, and that your teacher chose those three texts because they're the ones in key notes, just like mine did! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

OK someone please HELP! I'm reading this thread and everyone is talking about the them of friendship for the comparative? PLease tell me thats the them that HAS to be studied, because we did a them of escape? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

OK someone please HELP! I'm reading this thread and everyone is talking about the them of friendship for the comparative? PLease tell me thats the them that HAS to be studied, because we did a them of escape? :eek:

I think you can do whatever theme you want! I hope so, anyway - we're doing the theme of suffering!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

leaveiton wrote: »
    I think you can do whatever theme you want! I hope so, anyway - we're doing the theme of suffering!

Thanks you :) can someone please enlighten me as to exactly what the literary genre is? like how should it be laid out and dealt with? If anyone could give me a good answer to what it is and what you need to do for it i'd be eternally greatful :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Kieran Lad

Just wondering what texts are ye doing for the comparitive study for English?.

How Many Miles to Babylon.
    Inside im Dancing
    My sisters Keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Thanks you :) can someone please enlighten me as to exactly what the literary genre is? like how should it be laid out and dealt with? If anyone could give me a good answer to what it is and what you need to do for it i'd be eternally greatful :)
    It's basically the way the story is told, what techniques are used etc. As far as I know you can go into characterization, dialogue, symbolism, narration and things along them lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Kieran Lad

Anyone else sitting at the computer, knowing there is homework/study to be done....... but just don't want to move?

Kieran Lad wrote: »
    Anyone else sitting at the computer, knowing there is homework/study to be done....... but just don't want to move?
    That is me ALL the time!!!! :D
    Eh..Nobody on this seems to have the same comparitives as me :O

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Okay, so I've spent the last 2.5 hours writing out notes that I now vaguely now... Do think think that'll do? :S

ConTheCat wrote: »
    Kieran Lad wrote: »
    That is me ALL the time!!!! :D
    Eh..Nobody on this seems to have the same comparitives as me :O
    What ones may they be? I'm doing The Constant Gardener and The Lonesome West!

M&S* wrote: »
    What ones may they be? I'm doing The Constant Gardener and The Lonesome West!
    The Girl with a Pearl Earring, Sive & Casa Blanca! Think one person has Sive though :D
    This has just occupied my evening! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=883UlMNOuX4

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

ConTheCat wrote: »
    The Girl with a Pearl Earring, Sive & Casa Blanca! Think one person has Sive though :D
    This has just occupied my evening! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=883UlMNOuX4

I'm doing Casablanca too.

My other ones are Oedopus the king and The great gatsby.

Okay, so I've spent the last 2.5 hours writing out notes that I now vaguely now... Do think think that'll do? :S
    That's down to what you think! If you can go on then do!

• Advertisement

Oh and just to get my piece in on the english notes thing, my teacher doesn't really give us notes, I don't make my own and we never get homework either, I think we've done 3 essays ever in our english class since september '10. So yeah I can safely say that I'm not doing well in English.
    I do have some other good teachers but english is definitely not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

My mams away for the week and I have to do the washing. The whole house smells of fabric softener hehe :D

+1 for a bad teacher, notes are non existent, poems half done the lot :(

I have the worst physics teacher ever. He's such a nice guy, but he can't teach to save his life. Failing physics anyway. :(

Love my Physics teacher:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Zhavey wrote: »
    Registered for CAO, scary stuff but kinda excited. :D:D

Level 8 Course Choices:
    1. TR072 Pharmacy
    2. TR071 Science
    3. MH201 Science
    4. DC201 Common Entry into Science (Undenominated Entry)
    5. CR305 Science (Level 8 - Common Entry)
    6. GY301 Science
    7. DN200 Science - Biological, Biomedical and Biomolecular Sciences

Choices so far, waiting on a few emails from colleges on backroutes to Pharmacy. :P *Feels like im jumping the gun but owell*

A great back route into pharmacy would be. Pharmacy. Your missing RCSI and UCC pharmacy completely there unless i'v gone blind.

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but the timetable for the UCD open day is up now.

There's a PDoFile here;

https://myucd.ucd.ie/opendays/programme.ezc?pageID=1294

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but the timetable for the UCD open day is up now.

There's a PDoFile here;

https://myucd.ucd.ie/opendays/programme.ezc?pageID=1294

cheers :) whos going to UCD?

I'll go for a shnoop. I want to find out more about the exchange programme thing.

• Advertisement

I was planning on going but I'm not around that day :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement