Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to do classical studies

• 22-08-2011 3:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

done classical studies for the junior and like to keep it for the leaving
    dose anybody know where to do classical studies for LC
    around s. dublin? and at what cost

thanks
    barry

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Oenone

It's a very easy course to self teach actually. I, in one of my sillier moments, decided to take up Classical Studies for the Leaving Cert, left it to the last minute to start the course, crammed the course in four days, and got a B.

So with regular study - you'll ace it. Just be sure to be familiar with the format of the exam, which topics to do etc. It's all on examinations.ie

Feel free to ask me any questions on the topics - especially the Greek ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

im sure i could do it myselft but i like to study it because i do dont do irish and im doing ordinary level spanish!

the only problem is that there no 1 book and no revision books,right ?
    dont think so?

although im doing appiled maths i would like to do classics because i would have liken to do some histroy related subject

they did it for the JC for the people who didnt do irish . but i was told because of cut back it was tight that they were able to keep it for my third year and now the budget was cut again

also some people have left in ty or moved to 5th year

any other advice if i was doing it myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Getting a grind would be a good idea.

Try posting in the mythology forum,you'd get pointed in the right direction.

i might try stuying it myself through 5th year and do some grinds and questions in 6th

thoughts

also is it similar to the JC coursee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Oenone

There is actually a book for it, ask the teachers to enquire for you, for when the department rep comes to the school. Though the book is quite rubbish, in my opinion.

Also, you get different texts according to which topics you're doing - so if you were doing Greek Drama, you'd get the plays i.e. Medea, Oedipus Rex (you only have to do two really). If you're doing the Ancient Epic topic, you'd be getting the Iliad, the Odyssey and for some peculiar reason, the Tain. Also, there are specific Art and Architecture books.

Definitely you'd be able to study it by yourself, it's easy if you're good at English/History, and fun too.

what the name of the book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Ashfield College in Templeogue run Classical Studies as an extra subject

http://www.ashfieldcollege.ie/?page_id=18

i see that on there websiteit a covered in 1 year, anybody know the price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Im sure if you give them a bell
    or drop them a line http://www.ashfieldcollege.ie/?page_id=173
    they will fill you in on price etc

sent a message and i will post repost!
    any other thoughts on the subject!

no reply from the email i sent them , i started the course myself and finding it easy enough but very interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Simply_Gleoite

Did Classics myself and got the A with a fantastic teacher and a LOT of hard work... Definitely wouldn't have been able to do it myself, I just needed a bit of guidance before I got into the swing of it - the trick is being able to write good quality essays in half an hour without leaving anything major out and being able to quote as if your life depended on it. Think I've written about 80 essays over the past 2 years for it which are lying about the house now... If you're having major bother with the subject PM me! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭kodoherty93

I went to a school(just did the LC) and it offered classical studies as a subject. It was by far the most demanding of all the subjects that were offered. It was endless essays and homework and by far the most stressful subject anyone did for the leaving.

Even though the teacher was excellent (he is the teacher a well known grind school in dublin city centre). The highest grade was B1 and most students got Cs.

Look at the SEC stats http://examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=st&sc=r12

Advertisement