Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbies for UCD arts?

Options
  • 22-08-2011 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

So who got accepted into arts and what subjects are you gonna do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭xxpopopxx

meee! I'm gonna do economics and information studies (although i don't imagine alot of people will do that ! D: )

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Fergus_Nash

I am I am. History and Irish. Probably Politics as my third subject :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭FTS

Cool cool. Gonna do Geography and art history then im not sure about german, english or archaeology. decisions, decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

Me :p

English and linguistics as my main. Possibly psychology/italian/latin as my other.

Moving up from Galway, terrified about not finding accomodation and the fact that I don't know one other person going to UCD!

English and linguistics as my main. Possibly psychology/italian/latin as my other.

Moving up from Galway, terrified about not finding accomodation and the fact that I don't know one other person going to UCD!

Have you started looking yet? I didnt know anyone who was going until today when some of my friends missed their first choices. Im kinda glad to be honest, I know that sounds mean but ah well. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭WatchOut

Starting too in September, wasn't my first choice but I'm really looking forward to it now :D

Have English and Philosophy down as my main ones. I think I'll do French aswell and not sure about my 4th one.

Praying I get accomodation! Don't know anyone going to UCD either.:P

FTS wrote: »
    Have you started looking yet? I didnt know anyone who was going until today when some of my friends missed their first choices. Im kinda glad to be honest, I know that sounds mean but ah well. :)
    Yeah I got the number off a student going into second year for off campus accomodation near UCD so I'm going to wait and see if I get anything on campus first. I'd be a lot more comfortable living on campus when I don't know anyone or have any clue of Dublin itself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Jimmy Magee

How many hours would one do a week?

I suppose you can't really say as there are so many different subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Oo92

Hah! I was in the exact same boat as you last year ;) Moved up from galway and didn't know a soul. But I'm sure you'll be grand.. I got on fine and adored every second :D

Oo92 wrote: »
    Hah! I was in the exact same boat as you last year ;) Moved up from galway and didn't know a soul. But I'm sure you'll be grand.. I got on fine and adored every second :D

Thanks a mill it's good to have some reassurance! :p

• Advertisement

why are we in so early??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

How many hours would one do a week?

I suppose you can't really say as there are so many different subjects.

About 12-15, Average for 6 modules in a semester is: 12 for lectures and maybe another 2 or 3 for tutorials.

Just looking through other peoples posts...do you only choose 3 subjects in first year?

WatchOut wrote: »
    Just looking through other peoples posts...do you only choose 3 subjects in first year?

Well, you really do two. The way the credit system works out is: Subject 1, IE English (4 modules [20 credits]), Subject 2, IE Geography (4 modules [20 credits]) and Subject 3, IE History (2 modules [10 credits]) then you have two modules which are for electives. Which are modules taken out of your current school, they can be law, sports, language modules etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bangbang3

mee :D doing english and economics!!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

I'm going for DOING English and German. Hopefully with either French or Italian and maybe art history. Not 100% decided on my fourth yet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

unknown13 wrote: »
    Well, you really do two.

Unless they've changed it, you can do 3/4 subjects and two of those can be taken into 2nd year.
    Just keep an eye on what subjects are 'core', as they are needed to proceed with that subject into Stage 2.

unknown13 wrote: »
    Well, you really do two. The way the credit system works out is: Subject 1, IE English (4 modules [20 credits]), Subject 2, IE Geography (4 modules [20 credits]) and Subject 3, IE History (2 modules [10 credits]) then you have two modules which are for electives. Which are modules taken out of your current school, they can be law, sports, language modules etc.

Ok I think I understand what you mean. Hopefully they explain all this in Orientation week anyway.
    Are the two subjects you have 20 credits in the ones you put on your CAO? Can you change the amount of credits you get for another subject if you decide you actually prefer it better to what you originally had on the CAO?

Ok I think I understand what you mean. Hopefully they explain all this in Orientation week anyway.
    Are the two subjects you have 20 credits in the ones you put on your CAO?

Yeah, you will do 20 credits of the one you put on your CAO
    Can you change the amount of credits you get for another subject if you decide you actually prefer it better to what you originally had on the CAO?
    You can do that and also registration stays open for a month.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Hey im the exact same as you!! Im excited but a bit anxious about accomodation aswell!
    Im doing Geogarphy and Sociology ! Hope there not to hard and i actually like them! Other then that i havent a notion how the whole thing works! i.e. subjects , hours ...etc! Will have to wait and see i guss!

• Advertisement

Locker10a wrote: »
    Hey im the exact same as you!! Im excited but a bit anxious about accomodation aswell!
    Im doing Geogarphy and Sociology ! Hope there not to hard and i actually like them! Other then that i havent a notion how the whole thing works! i.e. subjects , hours ...etc! Will have to wait and see i guss!

It's awful I just don't want to be on off campus and not get a chance to look around and that I need an arts buddy to mind me!

I don't know either I was watching the videos online and I just got really confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭marzh007

I'm doing Geography and Linguistics or Sociology.
    It's not my first choice but I'm really excited in doing it now. Just a bit nervous as I don't know anyone.

Can you change the subjects you have chosen when you arrive if you don't like them?

What day do Arts start?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Shonagh

Music & French, and maybe Italian or Spanish or Irish. Or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Stasya_x

English & Greek and Roman Civilization & International Relations and Politics as a third..but I'm still considering Information Studies on the request of my parents...

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mr Mime

Got psychology as my main and this module/elective business is confusing the crap outa me..

Oh well i'll find out in two weeks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 louisemono

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 louisemono

Hi, I am a first year student girl also doing linguistics from Longford.
    Looking for accomodation, would you be interested in house sharing?
    I rang a guy from Carlow earlier, he is in the same boat. We are in Dublin today looking for somewhere. I am too late for campus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Stasya_x wrote: »
    English & Greek and Roman Civilization & International Relations and Politics as a third..but I'm still considering Information Studies on the request of my parents...
    Don't listen to your parents- International Relations and Politics really compliment each other. I let me parents sway me into studying law before arts, and it was the last time I ever took their advice!
    louisemono wrote: »
    I highly recommend Italian- I met quite a number of people who did psychology and either failed or did very poorly. Latin isn't particularly useful anywhere (unless you have clerical aspirations!) Not only is Italian an easy language, it gives you an option to do Erasmus. Friends of mine went to Italy and absolutely loved it

Advertisement