Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to go about getting 4th year to allow me to teach in oz

• 22-08-2011 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

hi everyone,
    Looking for some words of wisdom here. I have a b.ed degree and would like to teach in australia (not just do subbing). It is a requirement to have four years of education, is it possible to do a part time/home study diploma to count asmy fourth year?
    Also is therre any state in Oz that will allow jsut the 3year degree to teach with?

Thanks in advance.
    Diet diva

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Could it be the case that you study your subject with your education degree in Oz (hence giving you four years in college), rather than the way we usually do it by studying the subject first and then doing a postgrad? Or do you mean primary teaching?

I presume you've just read information online about this. Probably the best thing to do is email/phone someone in the responsible government departments in the different states in Oz to find out because there could well be exceptional rules they don't mention for teachers who trained abroad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

number10a wrote: »
    Or do you mean primary teaching?

I'd say the OP is talking about primary teaching.

Do you know if a masters or something similar would count OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

I've taught in Australia with the 3 year B.Ed degree. It was a few years ago at this stage, so things might have changed, but at the time they accepted the Dip year as the 4th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Adelaide1

I'm going through the whole teacher registration process in South Australia at the minute. I'm kinda in the same boat as you - 3 year B.Ed and they require 4 years university education. All of the states changed their minimum qualifications requirement in 2005?? apparently. Initially I thought I would be fine as I also have a higher diploma. However I was wrong. As the H.Dip was only a part time course it counts for half a year of university education. Therefore I have three and a half years university education completed.
    I arranged to meet the qualifications assessment officer (basically because I was getting impatient with the length of time the whole process was taking) and explained that the Dip sa Chreid and diploma in Gaeilge Ghairmiuil are complete along with the B.Ed in Ireland. He thought about using these diplomas as additional time spent in university but has since changed his mind. He is going to put me before the board of the teachers registration board where I will have to put my case to them. He has told me that the likely outcome of this will be that I will have to complete another 6 months of university education in order to be fully registered. I have looked at courses and because I am considered an international student the fees are $9,900 - absolutely crazy. Fingers crossed it won't come to that. I have 11 years teaching experience and have had a post in my school for the last 7 years so hopefully they'll take all that into consideration and grant me my registration without having to go back to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Brookie123

I know people teaching in Australia with just the b.ed & have plenty of friends out there who did the postgrad & are teaching away no bother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Brookie, are those people teaching on the one year Working Holiday Visa or are they permanent residents?

Can you get permanent residency as a primary teacher if you have a B.Ed I wonder?

I have just been granted teacher registration in South Australia. I had to go before the admissions board. A very formal experience. I have a condition attached to my registration, that being that I complete a 6 month full time university course or 12 month part time course in the next 3 years. My advise to anyone with a 3 year B.Ed is to do a masters or two higher diplomas before you come to Australia to teach. They are very strict on overseas teachers meeting the 4 year university requirement. This is the situation in South Australia. I'm not sure what the story is in other states and territories. The whole process has been long and drawn out and I am so glad I'm at the end of it now.

PS I'm in Australia on a temporary resident visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Adelaide1 wrote: »
    I have just been granted teacher registration in South Australia. I had to go before the admissions board. A very formal experience. I have a condition attached to my registration, that being that I complete a 6 month full time university course or 12 month part time course in the next 3 years. My advise to anyone with a 3 year B.Ed is to do a masters or two higher diplomas before you come to Australia to teach. They are very strict on overseas teachers meeting the 4 year university requirement. This is the situation in South Australia. I'm not sure what the story is in other states and territories. The whole process has been long and drawn out and I am so glad I'm at the end of it now.

PS I'm in Australia on a temporary resident visa.

Adelaide, can I ask, are you under 30?

Also, what is a temporary visa? Is it a Working Holiday Visa?

I'm over 30 and would love to have the chance to go there but could only go if Primary Teaching was on the skills shortage list which it isn't in most states in Australia.

Even then, I think one must have a minimum 3 years experience. Have you heard that before?

Hi Kraggy!

No, I'm over 30! Just missed the boat on the working holiday visa unfortunately. My visa is a temporary defacto spouse visa which entitles me to stay and work here for two years. I'm hoping to become permanent next year.

I know primary teaching isn't on the skills shortage list but in South Australia there is apparently a shortage of primary school teachers. I have spoken to several teachers and principals in the last few months and they all have told me that their schools don't have TRTs (temporary relief teachers ie subs).

Regarding the minimum experience, for South Australia it is one year teaching service in the last three years. I don't know what the story is with other states.

I hope this helps!

Advertisement