Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

damage to apartment windows and doors during breakin

Options
  • 22-08-2011 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

My apartment was broken into from the outside with significant damage caused to one of the glass doors into a bedroom that will necessitate replacement of the entire door at an estimated cost of €1000 plus.

The management company (who we also pay for 24hr security) has informed me that my lease states this door is part of the 'demised unit' and is therefore not covered by the block insurance. My contents insurer informs me that as these are not contents, they are not covered in my contents policy. I didn't expect the contents policy to cover this to be honest

Is there anything I can do with regard the block insurance policy? Really don't need this on top of everything else...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I'd peruse the management company to prove themselves right. Your contents cover is pretty straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I'm a director of an apt company (I'm an apt owner) and we've payed out on apt doors that have been broken down. We've previously been told that the general rule of thumb is that if an item can be removed from an apartment then it is covered under home and contents, but if it cannot then it is covered under the Block Policy. To this extent, damage to carpets are covered under home and contents, while timber floors are covered under the block policy.

Each owner of an apartment within the development are effectively policy holders and as such have a right to claim against and be paid under the block insurance policy.

It's up to the insurance assessor to decide if the claim is valid. Remember to enquire about the excess on the block policy and also that claims can affect your annual apt maintenance fee (increased insurance costs pushes this fee up).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Marcanthony

Hi,
    Some management companies are a night mare to deal with.The windows and doors should be covered under the block policy covering the buildings cover and a break in is an insurable peril. Get the block policy number from the management company and the insurers / brokers name.(you paid your management fee . your entitled to get this info from them. Do not allow the management company dictate to you.) Call the insurer /broker and log your claim with the broker or insurer.Get a claim number from them and log all your calls with them (time and date.Person you spoke to and a brief discription of the call). They will then appoint an adjuster on behalf of the insurer to call to view the damage.You will need to report this break in to the gadai to validate your claim.
    The loss adjuster will call to view the damage. Ask him what the excess is on the policy. Apartments can have very high excess. This is the amount you pay towards the claim and will be deducted from the settlement figure.He will also confirm if you are covered. If you are not covered.Request from the adjuster confirmation of this in writing.
    Once cover is confirmed. He will ask what you are billing for and to get quotes for the damage you are billing for.Bear in mind that this adjuster is working for the insurance provider and not you.
    For example if the door needs to be removed and replaced. You will need to re plaster the reveals around the door and then you will need to repaint the room to reinstate the damage. He will not advice you of this.If contents have been damaged or stolen. You will need to log a claim with your provider for the contents cover for those items.
    The best way to distinguise contents and buildings cover would be to pretend you picked your appartment up and cut of the roof and turned it upside down. Anything that would fall out would be contents. However a few exceptions for example carpet would be contents and click wooden floors can be argued to be contents.However wooden floors would be buildings. Fitted wardropes would be buildings but free standing would be contents.
    I have worked in the insurance industry and the building trade on a professional level and would have a good insight into this kind of thing. If you need any more info or advice let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I'm a director of an apt company (I'm an apt owner) and we've payed out on apt doors that have been broken down. We've previously been told that the general rule of thumb is that if an item can be removed from an apartment then it is covered under home and contents, but if it cannot then it is covered under the Block Policy. To this extent, damage to carpets are covered under home and contents, while timber floors are covered under the block policy.

Each owner of an apartment within the development are effectively policy holders and as such have a right to claim against and be paid under the block insurance policy.

It's up to the insurance assessor to decide if the claim is valid. Remember to enquire about the excess on the block policy and also that claims can affect your annual apt maintenance fee (increased insurance costs pushes this fee up).
    Excellent advice

Advertisement