Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Genesis Aether 20

• 22-08-2011 4:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Since steel frames were too expensive and well over the 1000 euro, after looking at all the Trek, Giant, Cube, Lapierre, etc... I got my first new roadie today through the BTW for 949 euro. . It's a Genesis Aether 20
    http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/aether/aether-20/specs

I am looking forward to have it between my legs as soon as the paper work is done.
    However, I couldn't find a lot of reviews about it, but I still thought it was a good buy in terms of value for money.

Any of you out there had any experience with this bikes at all?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭JOHN_70

I have the Aether 10, same frame but with lower spec components. Very happy with it so far and I've about 3000km done on it. Plenty room for mudguards with the 25c tyres and I put a rack on it as well - I need to carry stuff on my commute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

JOHN_70 wrote: »
    I have the Aether 10, same frame but with lower spec components. Very happy with it so far and I've about 3000km done on it. Plenty room for mudguards with the 25c tyres and I put a rack on it as well - I need to carry stuff on my commute.

Thanks John.
    the Aether 10 was the one I wanted (i like the look of it more), but then I went for the better specs.
    I also got the seat clamps w/eyelets to accomodate a rear rack in the future.
    what rack do you have? In the cycle shop they told me I could get one for about 40 euro...

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭JOHN_70

I got the topeak super tourist rack, I used a replacement seatpost clamp with eyelets to attach the rack to the seatpost and p-clips to attach to the seatstays. It seems very stable although I haven't carried anything too heavy on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Not sure if this is even relevent, but I've got a Genesis Core 30 (a hardtail MTB) which I love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭f1000

I remember reading a group test in a mag earlier this year and the Genesis came top of the pile with a better ride/spec within the price range.

• Advertisement

f1000 wrote: »
    I remember reading a group test in a mag earlier this year and the Genesis came top of the pile with a better ride/spec within the price range.

Glad to hear that... :)
    that's what the guy in the shop was saying to me as well. I just thought it was weird to see generally such little interest and comments around the web...
    Maybe they just don't get on too well with Google? :D

JOHN_70 wrote: »
    I got the topeak super tourist rack, I used a replacement seatpost clamp with eyelets to attach the rack to the seatpost and p-clips to attach to the seatstays. It seems very stable although I haven't carried anything too heavy on it.

thanks, I also have to carry very little stuff ( just a change for my commute basically + keys/wallet ), but I don't like it in black... I'd prefer a chrome or grey one :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

My friend has the aether 30, its a nice bike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Just remembered. 220 Tri magazine did a review of the Aether 20 against the Kona Honky Tonk back in March. It beat the Kona (by 1 point) and their conclusions were :

Handling - 79 % Does everything a real road bike should.
    Spec - 70% More Tiagra (than the Kona) earns the extra marks.
    Value - 72%. £80 more but slightly bettter value.
    Comfort - 80% Good geometry but the alloy frame is a little harsh.

Redjeep! wrote: »
    Just remembered. 220 Tri magazine did a review of the Aether 20 against the Kona Honky Tonk back in March. It beat the Kona (by 1 point) and their conclusions were :

Handling - 79 % Does everything a real road bike should.
    Spec - 70% More Tiagra (than the Kona) earns the extra marks.
    Value - 72%. £80 more but slightly bettter value.
    Comfort - 80% Good geometry but the alloy frame is a little harsh.

Hi Redjeep,
    With regards to comfort that is why I wanted to go steel in the first place but like I said it was to expensive. The Hunky Tonk was the only one among the others (Cinelli, Charge, Genesis) that would come under the 1K euro budget I had, but specs were not great compared to the Aether and furthermore I should have gone up to Galway to get it!!! (adding petrol and lots of pints to the 900 euro list price)...
    Surely if had the money to get a second bike I would probably go for a single speed now and maybe get a paddy wagon instead.
    I hope the alloy frame is not too harsh cos I have 25 Km commuting each way... :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement