Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic **This Thread Now Closed For Business**

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Holy God man. And there's nothing worse when unbelievably angry when some clown keeps asking you if you're mad! How the f*** did she delete everything so fast? Format? Drop HDD? Ridiculous virus on her usb?

I had a folder on my desktop with USB in the title "USB" where I kept all files I had transfered onto my computer from external hard drives, usbs, cds etc (guess im almost asking for it) and when she had her USB in my computer she decided to delete something from it to make room for the movie I was giving her. it must have asked her something similar to are you sure you want to delete from USB? and she said yes but obviously she had somehow highlighted the USB folder on my desktop instead of the file from her USB before clicking delete. Because of the sheer size of the file it was automatically deleted as the recycle bin cant hold that much. clicking the restore option in the recycle bin only brought back the folder.

I have since followed a few google links and downloaded a program called Pareto logic which is still preforming a scan of recoverable files. It has located the files but there is no recover option until the search is fully complete, until then I only have a cancel option. A little bit paranoid that when the scan is finally done I will then be asked to sign up or pay to be able to preform the recovery step (I remember something like that happening when trying to use a similar program after my Iphone wiped all my music and pics previously).

and yeah nothing worse than someone repeatidly asking if things are ok when you are trying to keep your cool and in doing so make sure they actually are ok, yet you still cant just tell the co-worker who sits next to you "No, now fcuk off while I try and fix your mess up"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

yet you still cant just tell the co-worker who sits next to you "No, now fcuk off while I try and fix your mess up"

Why can't you? that would be EXACTLY what I would tell them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'd also bite my tongue as I'd absolutely flip out at the realisation, i'd say some horrible things!! This happened to me twice before - as a teen, my friend didn't know the difference between cut and copy, and took all of my por....eh music, yeah. Another time I had some files in a hidden folder, so well hidden, I deleted the parent folder and wondered why there was so much free space. And then the realisation set :mad: :pac:

Even if you can't get the files back, at least you've got a ton of free space, good time for some spring cleaning. If you're anything like me, you'll never watch 80+% of what's on your HDD again anyway, so just get whatever you really want need :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

While we're on about computer setbacks my Laptop broke a week ago when my niece ran into a dangling charging cable thus sending it flying across the kitchen table onto the floor. Glad I got product cover on it.

Why can't you? that would be EXACTLY what I would tell them!!

Pretty much as Jayk said. I'd have to keep working with her and sitting next to here and while I dont have a problem with her normally I'd be afraid of what I might say (especially as ive been watching a lot of "the thick of it" recently).
    jaykhunter wrote: »
    Even if you can't get the files back, at least you've got a ton of free space, good time for some spring cleaning. If you're anything like me, you'll never watch 80+% of what's on your HDD again anyway, so just get whatever you really want need :)

only thing is there was lots there I hadnt seen yet for instance I had the first 4 seasons of Sons of Anarchy on there and last night just got half way through S2 for the first time. Awesome show that I really want to not have to spend time reaquiring.

anywhoo while i wait im off to watch the boys from the dwarfs latest adventure

• Advertisement

Hearing these tales of tech woes make me feel better about mine. I plugged in a hard drive and it caused a power surge that blew the multi-plug adapter and turned off all the electronics. Hard drive is ok, so's PS3, but now my TV's HDMI ports don't work so I had to dig out my composite 480p cable and rub dirt in my eyes. The TV acknowledges that something's plugged into the HDMI port but ultimately it's a blank screen. The cables are fine, work on my monitor. Any ideas?

I have to reformat my multrimedia drive hooked up to my tv - is there a quicker way to move all my files to my external hard drive (as the reformat clears the media drive) - the transfer is claiming like it will take about 7 years!

Nope man, just bite the bullet and spend the day transferring. At least all of your stuff is still there!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Closest I've had to that was when my HD screwed up and I lost all my games on steam and had to re-download them, the best part of 100 games :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I remember in college my roomates and I were listening to songs on my laptop after we came in from a night out. I went to the toilet and when I returned the music was off and there was an eerie awkward silence in the room. As I approached the table in my horror I saw that one of the clowns in his drunken state had knocked over a full open beer can on the laptop. :mad:

Poor guys. Sad times. My funniest tech woe was my sister, she put a CD into the drive without putting it in the groove (is that possible) and when it wouldn't close she just kept hitting it until it did. Broke both the drive and the CD. It was incredulous. She wasn't young at the time, about 20 or so. :confused:...:mad:....:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

That's kinda funny, just cause I'm not sure how you don't get the CD in the groove without noticing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

only thing is there was lots there I hadnt seen yet for instance I had the first 4 seasons of Sons of Anarchy on there and last night just got half way through S2 for the first time. Awesome show that I really want to not have to spend time reaquiring.

Stream it. I used to do the same as you but my PC packed up so I only have a laptop now which is a quarter of the storage capacity so I couldnt afford to save everything I might watch.

Some sites are crap and keep needing to buffer, but there are a fair amount of good sites out there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Download and delete if there's no good streams either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Denny M wrote: »
    That's kinda funny, just cause I'm not sure how you don't get the CD in the groove without noticing.

My aul pair have got up to simlar antics. My Dad is comical at times, he has a PC and the only thing he can do with it is get youtube up to play his music. I dubbed the computer the worlds most expensive CD player. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

One time I gave a mate of mine a CD so he could put the music on his computer.The CD was brand new and I hadn't put the music on my computer yet (stupid move). I got the disc back about a week later covered in scratches and marks. I let that go because I'd probably tear lumps out of it myself. Put the disc into my computer and no music. I thought it was the computer so I used my CD player. Still no music. I ring him and ask him what happened he told me "My sister wanted to hear it so I loaned it to her, that's how its scratched!" I tell him there's no music on it. He tells me "I tried to transfer the music but I kind of wiped it clean"
    My friend isn't the most technically savvy guy on the planet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Jesus BH you are a saint of a man. I would be struggling badly to not go all Scarface Al Pacino on her tbh.

Reminds me of the sad say my old PC messed up the save on 20+ seasons of Champ Manager where I finally had Mansfield Town on the brink of Europe. Still hurts today. Grr.

success, I was able to restore around 60% of the files missing, lost every season of Curb, South Park and a few others but still good compared to what I was expecting as im now happily back to watching SOA again. Though if im honest I didnt stop watching it having taken some advice from this here thread which of course meant using 100% legal streams or downloads which is obviously what they meant. Left work early today and the one who erased my stuff by accident had to cover me... that felt good as I was lying in bed at home :)

Funkhouser will be gutted, glad you were able to get some back.
    Anyone playing Assassins Creed III, thought i'd bring it up here as to not derail the wwe13 thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm a big, big AC fan, but I only hit 90 on WoW a few days back, Halo 4 is out on Monday, and I've got Borderlands sitting there as well. After months of there being nothing to play, everything's suddenly coming out at once >_< The Achievement Hunter Let's Play didn't help either. Really want to play it before it's spoiled on me...

Also have Walking Dead Book 8 sitting there waiting for me, but I restarted the books and am on book 5 so am having to be patient.

Thought AC1 was awful so never bothered with anything after that and dont intend to either. From what I played, not my type of game.

In other news, first two driving lessons tomorrow :D

• Advertisement

Good luck gnfnrhead.
    In other news Juve are finally beaten! If I wore a belt I would be swinging it overhead in merryment

AC1 was slow paced at times, and the bits outside the Animus were mind-numbingly boring, but the series got better, and the story is brilliant (although, I've seen it be marmite-like; you love it or think it's bat-**** stupid).

As a betting man, today's football was dreadful.

As a United fan, seeing others drop points was brilliant :D

Watching Halo 4: Forward Onto Dawn, trying to get it in before the game comes out on Tuesday.

Loving it so far. Just finished episode three. The bit where
    the elite walks out of the darkness and draws his sword
    had me with goosebumps...

Halo 4 will have to wait a good while i'm only a campaign guy but I still have to finish Pokemon Black 2, Dishonored and start Assassins Creed III proper(it has one of the most boring opening I have ever came across).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Way too many good games coming out in the next few weeks. Bought WWE 13 and Max Payne 3 the other day and I still have a huge backlog of maybe 20 games. I also just bought another 6 games in an indie bundle.

I'll have to try and make some time to get around to them all cos I can see myself caving and buying Halo 4 too :o.

My backlog is huge, AC: Brotherhood + Revelations, Binary Domain, Hitman Blood Money, Sonic Generations, MGS HD Collection, Ubisoft xbla games, Castlevania: LoS and Layton: Spectre Call. I don't see myself getting much soon i'm skint with saving for Festivus and i'm enjoying WWE13 a lot too.

Jesus. Halo 4 in Drogheda.

HMV €45
    Gamestop €60

I know there's always a price difference in the two shops, and there's usually a bit of competition given they are pretty much next to each other. But €15 quid of a difference is ridiculous.

Now to wait till my brother gets home so I can play it ¬_¬

Jesus. Halo 4 in Drogheda.

HMV €45
    Gamestop €60

I know there's always a price difference in the two shops, and there's usually a bit of competition given they are pretty much next to each other. But €15 quid of a difference is ridiculous.

Now to wait till my brother gets home so I can play it ¬_¬

Always at least a tenner price difference on new releases where I am. Gamestop are an absolute joke since GAME closed down.

Yep, HMV's my primary choice these days. I couldn't believe that with GAME/GameStop, how a company dedicated to games wouldn't give the best price for games... Oh well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Were Gamestop at least offering any Gamestop exclusive content for that price?

They've gone really dear lately anyway. Unless it was a special edition or something (I may or may not have spent €100 on the Assassin's Creed special edition (I may. I did.)) I wouldn't go near them for games. HMV and occasionally Tesco are usually the best bet. Xtra-Vision can be a bit pricey on the bigger name games too

Didn't see any extra stuff for that. They had pre-order posters up, and sometimes they might give you that even if you didn't pre-order. But honestly I didn't even step into the shop; once I saw the price, I ran screaming.

First reactions to Halo; Can't believe split-screen is still not widescreen. The assault rifle feels awesome, like a heavy cannon. Multiplayer is...well, it's Halo Multiplayer. Played two games; was awful in the fist, only racking up 3 kills, and in the second, I got 25, meaning I topped the scoring charts (in Big Team Slayer). The Mechs are amazing to control. Having sprint all the time is brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Does anyone here like At The Drive-In?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Does anyone here like At The Drive-In?

Yeah I like them. Was only listening to Relationship of Command today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

If this is prohibited to talk about I apologize.

I'm looking to download some wrestling songs for CAWs in WWE 13. I'm awful with computers but Ive heard that you can download videos from youtube and convert them into MP3. Anyone know how I would go about this?

As I say if prohibited please delete this message. Thanks

• Advertisement

If this is prohibited to talk about I apologize.

I'm looking to download some wrestling songs for CAWs in WWE 13. I'm awful with computers but Ive heard that you can download videos from youtube and convert them into MP3. Anyone know how I would go about this?

As I say if prohibited please delete this message. Thanks

Google "youtube to mp3" or something similar and you'll find loads of sites. Some are good, some are crap. Try a few until you find one you like.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Google "youtube to mp3" or something similar and you'll find loads of sites. Some are good, some are crap. Try a few until you find one you like.

Thanks mate.

I just didn't want to download a dodgy one that would feck up my laptop.

Cheers for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

A program called Jdownloader will let you save youtube files onto your PC in video (mp4/flv) or audio (mp3) or both if you want. You won't need to convert anything.

Just make sure you get Jdownloader from a respectable website to eliminate the threat or any virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

So it turns out if you try transfer 300g in one go in claims to take 79 hours

do it in three separate chunks and it takes little over 2 and a half!

Nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I have awful lower back pain from a crappy bed thats being replaced next week,so to ease the pain of sleeping in it tonight I've drank a naggin of jameson,4 beers,half a bottle of ****ty kinsey vodka + 5 solpadeine capsules, and still the poxy pain persists!

Gonna be a €50 GP job in the morning + script,which I can't really afford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

For €50 you could afford to sleep in someone else's bed tonight :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

PS Vita - any use?

I have a couple of years ahead where I am travelling on the train, so far I am going okay with the phone (internet, apps, radio, mp3) but thinking of buying handheld games console after xmas.

but vita is pricey, I could get a ps3 for same sort of price. Any one use the vita here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

DM-ICE wrote: »
    PS Vita - any use?

I have a couple of years ahead where I am travelling on the train, so far I am going okay with the phone (internet, apps, radio, mp3) but thinking of buying handheld games console after xmas.

but vita is pricey, I could get a ps3 for same sort of price. Any one use the vita here?

Not used one. But it would be handy to have for trips to dublin when i dont have to drive.

Brother sold his psp years ago.

I've never had a PSP, so I dunno how good the Vita is. Only handhelds I've had are Nintendo ones, but that's just for playing Pokemon :D

3DS' are a great little machine. Good catalog of games and the huge quality filled back catalog of DS titles means your spoilt for choice software wise. Plus you don't need memory cards for it and tbh Nintendo has the best studios working on titles whereas Sony often do put B teams making their first party games with varying results. With that being said the Vita is a very slick machine that you feel just needs more support from publishers to blossom.

I don't see myself getting a 3DS any time soon, it's pretty pricey, and they haven't made a pokemon game just for it yet, so for now my Lite will do me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Ridley

Denny M wrote: »
    I don't see myself getting a 3DS any time soon, it's pretty pricey, and they haven't made a pokemon game just for it yet, so for now my Lite will do me!

I like how you've discounted the Pokémon spin-offs. ;)

I will always discount the spin-offs if they look like they suck :P

The Pokemon games have sucked for a while now. There is a fcuking ice cream Pokemon now! The original 150(+1) were the best but the 251 are also acceptable. After that it went downhill fairly quickly.

Always get the urge to play Red or Blue but the internal battery is dead in Blue while Red is 100% complete. Yellow wasnt as good.

Nah, I still love the main series of pokemon games, though the first gen is my favourite. I have a Charmander, Charmeleon and Charizard tattoo on the back of my leg :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement