Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic **This Thread Now Closed For Business**

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

So who would have thought Golden Discs would outlive HMV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

rovert wrote: »
    So who would have thought Golden Discs would outlive HMV?

Was only in there today and they seemed to have stepped their game up actually. Lots of boxsets at reasonable enough prices and plenty of people buying stuff in there.

I never thought they'd outlive HMV though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Why can`t it be Gamestop I hate them and their prices are a complete joke.
    Looks like all my purchases will be on Adverts now. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

There well no place left to buy rock cds now if hmv go. I hate golden disk. well the one in athlone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

although they might not buy/rent the specific premiseses, I can see CeX using this as an opportunity to expand beyond their single shop on Liffey Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Whats this about HMV?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

CMpunked wrote: »
    Whats this about HMV?!

Apparantly going into administration tomorrow:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Pity the staff have to find this out the same way as everyone else. Tomorrow will be an interesting day. Just glad it didn't happen this time last year when I was getting excited about jetting off to Miami for WM.

I guess the writing was on the wall when the new ceo (who came from the now defunct jessops) thought that selling popcorn for £2.75 when you can get it next door for 99p would keep us afloat. Not to mention the new pink uniforms!

Ah well, hopefully some other mug will but the company and set about rearranging the deck chairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Can see someone buying HMV in fairness. Probably will be job cuts though :mad:

Apparantly going into administration tomorrow:(

Sad times, they are quite the institution.

Makes sense now when I keep enquiring about inception and the dark knight rises on dvd and keep getting told not yet.
    I seriously hope they stay in business and just scale back a bit. Like they have 230 something stores in the UK (some have 2 in little small northern towns, one in a retail park another in a shopping center, no reason as to why!) Nuke half of them anyway.

The staff in the Drogheda store are bloody excellent and wouldn't like to think for a moment that I wont see some of them literally on a daily basis. :(

• Advertisement

To temper the "buying music and DVDs remember that lol?" talk:

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/300-irish-jobs-at-risk-as-retailer-hmv-reported-to-be-entering-administration-3353623.html

For those in Dublin of the male persuasion the HMV store was the essential "I'll be in" card when faced with a female lead endless parade of clothes and shoes shops on Grafton St or Dundrum or Liffey Valley or wherever.

Y+u+no.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

For those in Dublin of the male persuasion the HMV store was the essential "I'll be in" card when faced with a female lead endless parade of clothes and shoes shops on Grafton St or Dundrum or Liffey Valley or wherever.

yeah, there's no real reason for blokes to ever set foot in Dundrum Town Centre anymore (except maybe the eye candy).

yeah, there's no real reason for blokes to ever set foot in Dundrum Town Centre anymore (except maybe the eye candy).

I've legit about 20 minutes on my energy bar in those places.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

I've legit about 20 minutes on my energy bar in those places.

me speak english good

:p

Anyway, anyone with gift cards for HMV (like myself) get in and use them up soon id say. Dont end up like the few unfortunates left with a worthless piece of plastic after Virgin Megastore went under.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Without sounding like a vulture, does this mean their stock will be going cheap soon? Or is a takeover/continuation under new ownership likely?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

For those that didnt hear, play.com is also shutting down in march, and renting out their warehouses for the marketplace companies apparently, prob for zOverstocks and the like.

Amazon is chewing up and spitting out these music and media stores by the month.

Without sounding like a vulture, does this mean their stock will be going cheap soon? Or is a takeover/continuation under new ownership likely?
    cartoon-vulture-9.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

I doubt it. They cant compete with Amazon any more. They will prob retrieve most their stock and continue to sell online with the HMV website maybe, such as the short lived Zavvi stores did. they might have a closing down sale, but I doubt it will be 75% off everything like we'd hope.

HMV has been badly managed in the past (well documented tbh) but this wasn't helped the government in the UK, letting internet companies get away with paying virtually zero tax. How can a high street store with overheads compete with a website that doesn't have to pay tax, such as Amazon. It was an inevitability for years.
    I enjoyed working for HMV many years ago, nice enviroment.

Times are changing fellas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Tinie wrote: »
    For those that didnt hear, play.com is also shutting down in march, and renting out their warehouses for the marketplace companies apparently, prob for zOverstocks and the like.

Amazon is chewing up and spitting out these music and media stores by the month.

My only concern is that Amazon will slowly start to increase prices now that some of the bigger competitors are starting to fall.

Tinie wrote: »
    How can a high street store with overheads compete with a website that doesn't have to pay tax, such as Amazon. It was an inevitability for years.

Times are changing fellas

I know Amazon would have had a big impact (God knows everything I buy comes from online stores now).

But I reckon Internet piracy is a far bigger problem for stores like HMV nowadays. People don't buy music all the much, be it from Amazon, iTunes or whatever. It's so easy to pirate stuff that it was always going to hit shops hard. (Not that I condone piracy, of course).

At least there's a lot of legal online options nowadays though; Netflix has saved me a fortune in recent months...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Shame really as this affects local economies and towns/cities. Will only lead to more people shopping online and the decline of retail shopping but of course all this is understandable as goods are undoubtedly cheaper online however I think we are heading down a bad track both economically and socially in the long run as we become more detached as communities and continue to spend money on foreign companies.

I hate the idea of doing all my Christmas shopping for example online and waiting for it to be delivered like a moron hoping it gets delivered before the weekend. Just hope HMV open long enough for me to get the Spiderman animated series boxset. Really want to pick up that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

GTR63 wrote: »
    I hate the idea of doing all my Christmas shopping for example online and waiting for it to be delivered like a moron hoping it gets delivered before the weekend. Just hope HMV open long enough for me to get the Spiderman animated series boxset. Really want to pick up that.

Which animated series? Nineties version?

Which animated series? Nineties version?

which else?
    Oh wait there was a so bad its kinda good old one too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

There was an older series, the 90s series, then the CG one that came out to tie into the movie(think it aired on MTV), then there was Spectacular Spiderman which was cancelled when the rights reverted to Disney and now we have Ultimate Spiderman.

Think there was a 2099 Spidey as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

GTR63 wrote: »
    which else?
    Oh wait there was a so bad its kinda good old one too.

Loved watching that at the weekend when I was younger, especially the one where Spidey had to assemble a group of heroes to take on a group of villains. I hated the Human Torch in that episode though because he was always causing problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Anyone remember the Sherman show that used brought on Sky 1 waaay back when it began to be aired first?Early 90's. It wasn't animated and used be on Friday nights. Loved it at the time but I bet it was awful in hindsight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,295 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I agree that Amazon and Netflix are as much of a cause of HMV going under as illegal downloads. For all the sh*t thrown at HMV for being the cause independent music and dvd shops had to close, it was inevitable HMV would suffer the same fate as legal downloads, streaming and online stores became more prominent.

Either way, I'm bringing a trolley to a closing down sale.

I would miss HMV though. I know they get a bad rap for overcharging etc, but for games and most new release DVDs I've always found them to be pretty decent on price. Cheaper than Gamestop for games and cheaper than Xtravision for new dvds. Plus they always have some good sales deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

The beginning of the end for HMV was when they banned their staff from having long hair and showing their tats.

• Advertisement

Charisteas wrote: »
    The beginning of the end for HMV was when they banned their staff from having long hair and showing their tats.

If Gamestop tried that they'd have about 3 employees left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Or they'd just have a much cleaner looking workforce, if the staff wanted their jobs.

So yeah, theyre not accepting vouchers in HMV anymore. 30 quid down the drain and was gonna get something out of it this weekend :rolleyes:

Or they'd just have a much cleaner looking workforce, if the staff wanted their jobs.

Well yeah, if you want to be all serious about it. I was merely commenting on how it seems like the majority of their staff have long hair, tattoos, spiked hair, those ridiculous earlobe stretching rings etc.

(Sorry if this offends anyone with those earlobe stretching rings, but seriously, they are ridiculous)

Digitalism wrote: »
    So yeah, theyre not accepting vouchers in HMV anymore. 30 quid down the drain and was gonna get something out of it this weekend :rolleyes:

Seriously? How can they get away with that?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I was only wondering the same thing myself, surely if they're not going to honor them they should refund them, imagine all of the vouchers that were bought at Christmas that now will go to waste? Disgusting decision.

• Advertisement

Think it's pretty common procedure that when a company goes into administration, all vouchers are null and void.

I'll be sorry if Gamestop in Drogheda get a monopoly on prices as well, actually. I've talked on here before about the great competition between the two.

On the other hand, when Zavvi went under, I got the first three series of House for a fiver, and discovered one of my favorite shows of all time. Maybe I can get some more cheap shows...

Apparently they're setting up some sort of hotline for people with vouchers to ring, so I'm guessing maybe if your voucher is over a certain value, they might let you redeem it. Don't know yet though.

Some employee took a photo of an email sent to HMV staff also telling them not to exchange faulty goods until told otherwise. That's worse in my opinion.

Found the picture: https://twitter.com/navbasiTLW/status/290946153149775873/photo/1

Charisteas wrote: »

Am I the only only that misread "tats"?

And how can they justify not redeeming vouchers? Basically they just took money off people who got nothing in return(well, apart from the voucher stating the amount).

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Am I the only only that misread "tats"?

And how can they justify not redeeming vouchers? Basically they just took money off people who got nothing in return(well, apart from the voucher stating the amount).

I looked it up, basically when you buy a voucher/gift car or /trade in something for credit you become a 'unsecured creditor' and as a result your credit which you gave to the company is.. Eh.. Unsecured.. Obviously.
    So that money, €50 quid for example that someone gave you on a piece of card didn't actually exist, as soon as the money was handed over physically in the shop it immediately became spent in the companies eyes to paying off loans or whatever.
    Because the company has gone into administration, (and has no money, including your 50 quid which is long gone) they have to stand by how much is in the company until a decision is reached as what to do. So they can't have the company making more and more of a loss in this period of time.

Can you imagine how much stock they would lose in these 24 hours from those cashing in their cards/vouchers and putting the company more into the red?

It sucks because I have about 36 quid in my pocket on one right now and was holding off spending it until they got the dark knight rises again on blu ray. :(
    I suppose the only thing that can happen is that they resolve everything and start accepting them again.

I suppose the only thing that can happen is that they resolve everything and start accepting them again.
    unfortunatly zavvi said the same stuff as hmv a few years ago, and never accepted the vouchers before closing down. I wouldn't hold my breath for vouchers being accepted again :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Never really got into the long running American dramas because I didn't have time to watch all the episodes. But I loved the Wire. What other shows do people recommend? I'm probably about to start watching Breaking Bad.

Never really got into the long running American dramas because I didn't have time to watch all the episodes. But I loved the Wire. What other shows do people recommend? I'm probably about to start watching Breaking Bad.

Breaking Bad is what I'd recommend. Maybe The Sopranos too but I was never a big fan of that myself. Sopranos would be closer in tone to The Wire than Breaking Bad, but I'd still recommend Breaking Bad over it.

Digitalism wrote: »
    unfortunatly zavvi said the same stuff as hmv a few years ago, and never accepted the vouchers before closing down. I wouldn't hold my breath for vouchers being accepted again :(

No, I understand that, but I meant it was the only resolution to be able to use the cards again.

I just walked by the local shop and see a lot of glum faces, understandably.
    There's a sign posted on the window saying they can't do refunds or accept vouchers but expect the situation to reach a resolve soon.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Don't probably, DO start watching Breaking Bad!

Also The Walking Dead is an excellent show.

No, I understand that, but I meant it was the only resolution to be able to use the cards again.

I just walked by the local shop and see a lot of glum faces, understandably.
    There's a sign posted on the window saying they can't do refunds or accept vouchers but expect the situation to reach a resolve soon.

I almost don't think they'll go under. Some stores closing, sure. But I doubt they'll close all the stores. They need to close what stores they can, evolve their business to do more online sales at cheaper prices (to compete with Amazon more), and keep some stores open for their usual business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

I would say go for either Prison Break (81 episodes) or Breaking Bad (54 episodes and counting).

Lost was great too but at 121 episodes it's maybe too much to get into depending on how much time you have. I suppose if you watch 1 episode per day you would get through it in 4 months.

Walking Dead has gotten better each season but it's nowhere near in the same league as the above shows.

All just one persons opinion of course :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

On the topic of TV shows in general and seeing Penn's sig i'd recommend Archer to everyone... not enough people know about that show and it's awesomeness

main character is voiced by the guy who is bob in bob's burgers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Mad Men is as good as anything I've seen and is a great source of inspiration for usernames.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Since Breaking Bad was already mentioned:

Sons of Anarchy.
    End of topic :pac:

And if mentioning Sons of Anarchy, may as well mention The Shield

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement