Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic **This Thread Now Closed For Business**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

It seems the new thing in football is to hate Barca. Is that hipster, or is it following the crowd :)

I would love if tonight Busquets takes a theatrical dive to get Ambrossini sent off at the death for Messi to score the penalty to send Barca through 4-1 on the night. I think the internet might melt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

gimmick wrote: »
    It seems the new thing in football is to hate Barca. Is that hipster, or is it following the crowd :)

I would love if tonight Busquets takes a theatrical dive to get Ambrossini sent off at the death for Messi to score the penalty to send Barca through 4-1 on the night. I think the internet might melt.
    Twould drown in a sea of Graham Hunters spaff more like.

I think most people are fed up of the endless fawning over them and the fact that their (for the most part recent) fans get so aghast that not everyone bows down to worship their style of play. "A gift to football" FFS.

Id say they'll win tonight though. They are great champions and great champions will usually rise to the task.

Barca are not known for their comebacks when the chips are down though. And the chips are very much down at the moment. I think Barca will win tonight but 2-1 or 3-1. One way or other, I cannot see them progressing. They will need a bit of luck and an early goal for it to happen.

Barca are not known for their comebacks when the chips are down though. And the chips are very much down at the moment. I think Barca will win tonight but 2-1 or 3-1. One way or other, I cannot see them progressing. They will need a bit of luck and an early goal for it to happen.
    Early goal is vital. If Meelan can keep it scoreless and also keep eleven on the field (a genuine concern with Barca always) till halftime it'll be an epic second half.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Have backed Milan +2 for tonight.

I don't have any feelings one way or another bout Barca. I do think they've been found out though and that teams have figured out how to negate them. You can't play one way, no matter how flamboyant it is, and expect teams not to figure out a strategy to beat you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

No team can win every game no matter how good they are. The fact is they ran away with the league this year and a true reflection of how good they are.

In the past few years they have won many games in Europe and lost some. That is normal in a competition where games are played over two legs - it doesn't add up to found out (imo).

No team in the modern game will ever dominate in Europe.

I mean found out in terms of how if you play a "negative" defense game against them, they struggle. Most teams in Spain don't do that ever, so Barca have walked the league, but Real did it against them in the cup last week, and Celtic and AC Milan doing the same.

Playing negative against Barca is nothing new. Sure it was that way of teams playing that inspired the signing of Zlatan and then the change to Messi as a striker ahem false 9. It was also what led to a back three trialled by Pep.

December 19th is the key, it was the biggest loss all season, When Tito's cancer relapse was announced. I hope they turn it around tonight all things considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I hope that Niang chance won't haunt me as much as it is now.

• Advertisement

God damn it Milan. You had one job!

GTR63 wrote: »
    I hope that Niang chance won't haunt me as much as it is now.
    That was the turning point. Couldve been 1-1, instead it was 2-0 minutes later and game over more or less.

Just watching the end of Gala/Schalke. Drogba is still a beast. Love the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

4-0 to Barca that is a great comeback :p

Well, all onto Bayern vs Arsenal tomorrow. No Wilshire, Podolski or Szczesny, so can't see them standing a chance...

(*Watches as Arsenal win 4-0*)

Scezny is a truly awful keeper. Unfortuantly he is the best of a truly awful bunch at Arsenal.

Arsenal at full strength wouldn't beat Bayern tonight even if Bayern had 10 men for 89 of the 90. Damage limitation is what it is all about. Hope they do not pick up any more injuries and hope they can over haul either Spurs or Chelsea.

Bayern are super impressive this season as well and would be my favourites now along with Barca. They're walking away with a stronger than ever Bundesliga this year (I think its 15 points ahead of current "flavours of the month" Dortmund), have unreal strength in depth, really good defensive record and loads of attacking options. Hard to see a weakness there, really good backs, midfield, forwards and keeper. They'll stroll past Arsenal who are kinda pathetic these days compared with their former glories. I remember whe Arsenal were a team full of men back in the Petit/Vieira/Adams/Winterburn/Keown era and you knew no matter what you'd have to fight for every ball to beat them. Now they're a bunch of soft chaps with no real leadership or direction.

Pep knew exactly what he was doing taking that job.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm a little surprised Bayern are so far ahead of Dortmund, considering how impressed I was with them in the group stages of the Champion's League. It's up to 20 points ahead now, which is just nuts. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bayern get to the final again this year.

9 point gap in Italy, 12 in England, 13 in Spain, 5 in France. With 10 games or so left in all those, looks like France and maybe Italy will be the only ones with a tight finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

heard this for the first time in years the other night, not going to lie lads its still a massive tune. Amount of times I asked " Am I sexual" when humming this when I was younger is a bit scary.

Ye all love it lads, don't lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

I can also see a comfortable win for Bayern tonight, but being optimistic I'm just hoping Arsenal attack from the first whistle, score an early goal and who knows. Just attack and get the ball to Cazorla and Walcott and just pray Walcott has one of his few good days.

This Arsenal team is just woeful though and clearly need 5 or 6 new players in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

There's no lonelier week in my life than Cheltenham week. Nobody talks about anything else and if you're not betting you're bored off yer tits.

I feel like one of yiz who don't watch sport.

There's no lonelier week in my life than Cheltenham week. Nobody talks about anything else and if you're not betting you're bored off yer tits.

Like an idiot I threw 20 quid earlier on some mad treble on horses I'd never heard of before at lunchtime. Mugs' game.

• Advertisement

I hate horse racing with a vengeance. 43 horses have died at Cheltenham in the past six years, that's terrible and unnecessary. It's animal cruelty and should be banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Hate racing and gambling myself thought I was the only one. Dear God, bookies are the most down and out places in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

You'd hate Galway for Race Week Charisteas. The biggest gathering of ***** in the universe. It takes the place months to recover from all the **** it imports.

When it comes to Bayern - they are 15 points better off now than at the same stage last season and won exactly 5 more games (both seasons they drew 3 at this stage).

They are 10 points ahead of where Dortmund were as league leaders last season. Dortmund are 10 points behind that total. So both teams have changed fortunes this time round.

Mandzukic was a good signing, far better all round player than Gomez to lead the team. Martinez was a brilliant signing. Dante at the back. So the spine of the team is much better this year. I am genuinely excited to see how they get on next season with Pep in charge.

You'd hate Galway for Race Week Charisteas. The biggest gathering of ***** in the universe. It takes the place months to recover from all the **** it imports.

I really hate that during the races you suddenly find a lot of people coming up to you giving you tips as if they are experts. The influx of ****' only positive is pointing them in the completly wrong direction when they pull over and snootily ask for directions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Don't worry, I don't give a toss about horse racing either.

New pope elected already, Pope Francis I

Charisteas wrote: »
    I'm just hoping Arsenal attack from the first whistle, score an early goal

:eek::D

:eek::D

Time to buy some lotto tickets! :pac:

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    New pope elected already, Pope Francis I

Should have been Balotelli or Totti. Bayern vs Arsenal has been so poor i'm wondering did Milan's performance inspire them.
    Houghtan is trying to be as annoying as Lawro or Macari.

• Advertisement

2-0 to Arsenal that should paper over the cracks enough to satisfy Wenger and the Arsenal board for another year.

2-0 to Arsenal that should paper over the cracks enough to satisfy Wenger and the Arsenal board for another year.

What did you make of that tonite?
    I think rte are being too harsh on them.
    Delighted no English sides are in the quarters the media will go blaming foreigners or maybe just blame Rafa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

What up my fellow marks?

I'm filling out a background check form and im appalled at how many times ive been unemployed. :(

Does anyone know, other than having a criminal record, is there any way a check on previous employment and benefits claiming can work against you in getting offered a position in a company?

In this day and age, I think most companies should expect younger guys to have big holes in their CV. God, I have one going on a year now, and there's talks they're about to **** up new teachers even more so :(

What did you make of that tonite?
    I think rte are being too harsh on them.
    Delighted no English sides are in the quarters the media will go blaming foreigners or maybe just blame Rafa.

Only caught the first half because I had to work tonight, what did the RTE lads say?

CMpunked wrote: »
    Does anyone know, other than having a criminal record, is there any way a check on previous employment and benefits claiming can work against you in getting offered a position in a company?

There are ways to fill time-gaps in CV's though besides employment. Like did you do any volenteer work, or help a family members business, or do any online courses or any private studying? Anything to enhance your skill set will go down as a major positive.

Bayern were awful slow in the way they played. No Schweiny in the middle of midfield setting the pace not just with the ball but his attitude kicks others on. In General they took it so easy that it became a poor gamse to watch. Arsenal never really did anything or put pressure on and still got 2.

Mullers. Back heel is the only thing I will remember from that game.

bring on Saturday. I can't be bothered with listening to all this racing ****e.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Bayern were awful slow in the way they played. No Schweiny in the middle of midfield setting the pace not just with the ball but his attitude kicks others on. In General they took it so easy that it became a poor gamse to watch. Arsenal never really did anything or put pressure on and still got 2.

Mullers. Back heel is the only thing I will remember from that game.

bring on Saturday. I can't be bothered with listening to all this racing ****e.

Shame Robben made a mess of it. Brilliant pass.

Robben is an awful player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Not much of a punter myself but there's a horse running in the 14.05 race @ Cheltenham today called ... wait for it ... 'first fandango' :D

Currently a complete outsider @ 50/1

Rumours that it wont race unless the commentators get the name right are currently unconfirmed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

There are ways to fill time-gaps in CV's though besides employment. Like did you do any volenteer work, or help a family members business, or do any online courses or any private studying? Anything to enhance your skill set will go down as a major positive.

Yeah I've done fas courses and stuff to flesh it out.
    Hopefully this puts an end to it all for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Arsenal at full strength wouldn't beat Bayern tonight even if Bayern had 10 men for 89 of the 90.

:pac::p

Champions League quarter-finals

Malaga v Borussia Dortmund
    Real Madrid v Galatasaray
    Paris St Germain v Barcelona
    Bayern Munich v Juventus

BANK HOLIDAY Weekend (insert YES YES YES gif here)

good draw for Champs league, are the semi finals set now as well?

Nope, semis will be done after the quarters this year apparently.

Looking forward to Bayern vs Juvi and PSG vs Barca. Seeing Real got Gala is annoying as a United fan. Could have taken them :(

Three Spanish semi finalists is my prediction. I thinkMalaga will do Dortmund. Vastly overrated by the hipsters IMO.

• Advertisement

Gotta back Juventus to win it last of my betting :P damn Cheltenham :(

<3 Comic Relief

Watching on tape delay but already Simon Cowell's wedding and an origin story for Jedward. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Watched it purely for the Doctor and Jessie J. Always a good laugh!

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Gotta back Juventus to win it

Really hope Juve win it, if they had a good striker or even got Llorente early they'd win it. They have by a distance the best defence left in the tournament but I wouldn't back Vucinic to consistantly take the chances.

Really hope Juve win it, if they had a good striker or even got Llorente early they'd win it. They have by a distance the best defence left in the tournament but I wouldn't back Vucinic to consistantly take the chances.

They were 16/1 earlier today worth a few bob on them at that price I thought

Juventus V Barcelona would be a great final at Wembley

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement