Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic **This Thread Now Closed For Business**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

16/1 thats good odds.
    Yet another laptop question but I started up a laptop startup repair there a few hours ago and after it i'm just getting a blank screen no cursor or nothing just a black screen. Any help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

In this day and age, I think most companies should expect younger guys to have big holes in their CV. God, I have one going on a year now, and there's talks they're about to **** up new teachers even more so :(

Yep, you can also say you have been travelling if worried about blank spots in your cv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

GTR63 wrote: »
    16/1 thats good odds.
    Yet another laptop question but I started up a laptop startup repair there a few hours ago and after it i'm just getting a blank screen no cursor or nothing just a black screen. Any help?

Have you tried the "Power On" button? :pac:

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Have you tried the "Power On" button? :pac:

Oh ha,ha.
    The power button is light up and it sounds like its running but the thing just isn't working.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Everton. Sexy beasts.

Now dear United, let's close this league off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

15. :)

Wales destroyed England today, amazing that we won over there. England were never as good as they were built up to be and imploded. Can't believe Michalak is playing for France again a mercurial player but doesn't deserve the benefit of doubt to be playing even a dead rubber.
    Delighted Villa and Arsenal won today not suprised Liverpool didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

happy-st-patricks-day-2013-274cd-2013-irish-phrases-happy.jpg

Happy St. Patrick's Day ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Take it handy on the porter today bais

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Spurs haha

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Charisteas wrote: »
    Spurs haha
    It's just that time of the year again for them :pac:

Isnt it St. Patty's Day? *hides* :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Isnt it St. Patty's Day? *hides* :pac:
    Back in the hole! :pac:

Have spent most of the morning over on the Animal Care boards looking at pictures of cats.

Would love to get one or two myself, but no one else in the house particularly wants one around :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Have spent most of the morning over on the Animal Care boards looking at pictures of cats.

Would love to get one or two myself, but no one else in the house particularly wants one around :(

Having the same trouble myself but with a dog. My gf has been banging on about getting one for the last year and half, but I wasn't ready for one. So when I finally decide that I'm ready and want to get one she's not so keen on getting one afterall.

See, that's very similar cause I also have someone saying they'd like one but then when I push, it becomes clear they wouldn't. Why do that :(

Also Cats > Dogs :P

Dog over all :mad: I have four dogs, I've always been a dog person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

I've a Yorkshire Terrier who thinks he's a Rotwiler but hides when he hears the Undertakers theme. No lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As a wise dog once said "Dogs rule and cats drool!"

• Advertisement

Jesus, a lot of dog lovers about today :P

Being honest, I had a very bad experience with a dog when I was a young 'un. A friend had this massive dog, made bigger by how small I was. He, in fairness, was likely being friendly, but he scared the living daylights out of me. One time, I got trapped in a room alone with him and he was all over me. Put me off big dogs. Don't trust them. Smaller dogs, I'm ok with cause I feel I can kick them if they start up, but big dogs just aren't my thing.

Meanwhile, we've had many a cat pop up on our doorsteps over the year, and I just love them :P

Being honest, I had a very bad experience with a dog when I was a young 'un. A friend had this massive dog, made bigger by how small I was. He, in fairness, was likely being friendly, but he scared the living daylights out of me. One time, I got trapped in a room alone with him and he was all over me. Put me off big dogs. Don't trust them. Smaller dogs, I'm ok with cause I feel I can kick them if they start up, but big dogs just aren't my thing.

Meanwhile, we've had many a cat pop up on our doorsteps over the year, and I just love them :P

Ah you encountered one of the cats that have gone undercover in dog costumes, attacking humans in an attempt to turn them against dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Owning a dog is different though. Treat them well and they will love and trust you eternally. Dogs know when their master is giving out that they are doing wrong.

I know that, in theory.

In practice, I just like cats more. :p

I also worry dogs are more likely to leave their **** everywhere :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I used like cats. Then we got one. Now I despise them.

Dogs on the otherhand are awesome.

Meet Rufus

297759_4481607196071_68523125_n.jpg

I used to have a cat. The neighbours used to think he was a stray because they all fed him during the day until he wandered back in in the evenings. It was only after he died (severely overweight) that we found out.
    I'm not all that into them anymore.

This is Bob, my 5yr old Yorkshire Terrier:
    154257_490001721472_836614_n.jpg
    He's F###ing mental, and can't stand Wrestlemania season because he's terrified of the Undertaker!

• Advertisement

cute%2Bmeme.png

If he stayed that size, I'd definitely want one.

Question for dog people; do they do much damage to your house/living area?

EDIT: See, Hashtag's looks perfect :D

That's the biggest he's gotten. He was about 6ins long when I got him.
    The only time he gets mischievous is Christmas where he'd knock over snowglobes or nick baubles off the tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

I have two dogs and a cat and while dogs do make the better pets cats have a lot going for them as well IMO.

They are cleaner, quieter and in general are less maintenance plus you have free vermin control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

we have a golden lab. He is so friendly. Get around kids. He crys in the morning if he doesn't get his toast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Can't believe one of the WWE's favourite bands circa early to mid 2000's and one of my personal favourites Drowning Pool are touring with Fozzy next month on their European tour, but no gig in Dublin frown.png

Also the tour starts only four days after Wrestlemania, so looks like Jericho is leaving again.

• Advertisement

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/288620_10150284703053584_3078629_o.jpg

This is one of my dogs, Lady. She'd be the one that'd be considered "mine", she's much more affectionate to me than she is to the rest of the family :D We also have a jack russell and two dachshunds, who would be my brother and sister's pets, but I'm the only one that'll take them for walks :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Charisteas wrote: »
    Can't believe one of the WWE's favourite bands circa early to mid 2000's and one of my personal favourites Drowning Pool are touring with Fozzy next month on their European tour, but no gig in Dublin frown.png

Also the tour starts only four days after Wrestlemania, so looks like Jericho is leaving again.

Yea was raging when they announce that tour because i knew they would''nt be over here because Fozzy had already played Ireland this year

Denny M wrote: »
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/288620_10150284703053584_3078629_o.jpg

This is one of my dogs, Lady. She'd be the one that'd be considered "mine", she's much more affectionate to me than she is to the rest of the family :D We also have a jack russell and two dachshunds, who would be my brother and sister's pets, but I'm the only one that'll take them for walks :pac:

Ha! Opened it expecting to see a similar dog to Lady from Lady & the Tramp. I was a bit off. :)

(On a side note, my parents have the same fireplace surround.... and a similar cabinet... Hey! Get out of my house!)

Our dog would be pretty awesome if he didnt constantly shed hairs everywhere. They are awful to get out of clothes but otherwise he's awesome.

Quite a bit. he is a whirlwind of energy. We will have to re-do our back garden as any flowers have been uprooted and eaten. Indoors, well if we leave stuff around for him to destroy, he will destroy them. Nature of the beast.

He is awesome though. A total pet. And jealous. If myself and the wife are hugging, he will join in in between us.

This is him swimming last week

gimmick wrote: »
    Quite a bit. he is a whirlwind of energy. We will have to re-do our back garden as any flowers have been uprooted and eaten.

Aw gimmick he's class! What breed is he?

Quite a bit. he is a whirlwind of energy. We will have to re-do our back garden as any flowers have been uprooted and eaten. Indoors, well if we leave stuff around for him to destroy, he will destroy them. Nature of the beast.

Blargh. That's honestly my major worry about having a pet. We have leather seats in the sitting room, a lot of books and such, and I'd hate to have anything destroyed by a restless pet. It's about the only real worry I'd actually have...

CMpunked wrote: »

Aw gimmick he's class! What breed is he?

Cocker Spaniel.

I have learned 2 things today

1. Mad Man Manson and Mandrake are on a Tesco mobile ad on the telly.

2. Michelle McCools twitter pic makes her look like The Undertaker.

It's been a productive day.

Blargh. That's honestly my major worry about having a pet. We have leather seats in the sitting room, a lot of books and such, and I'd hate to have anything destroyed by a restless pet. It's about the only real worry I'd actually have...

That's just down to training. Our fella won't destroy our couches or anything. It's more like leaving towels, socks or shoes in a place where he will grab them. Re the garden you just need to puppy proof it. Like font expect your prized orchids to last more that a minute but if you have a small conifer that would be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Cocker Spaniel.

I have learned 2 things today

1. Mad Man Manson and Mandrake are on a Tesco mobile ad on the telly.

2. Michelle McCools twitter pic makes her look like The Undertaker.

It's been a productive day.
    lol

Did a bit of a double take earlier when I saw aul MMM aright!

• Advertisement

Missed all this dog chat. Have a fat little terrier myself, she is such an embarrassment though. Anytime she gets tired walking she slumps down and I have to carry her, she has to be the one closest to the fire and she always follows around one of my brothers like a pet lamb, don't have a clue why.

Watching Brazil vs Italy, haven't seen Italy play so bad at anything in well ever. Such a very average Brazil team beating them too.

So, major thanks to people who posted pictures, cause I think I've used them to convince everyone in the house to get a dog :D

We're going on holidays in a few weeks so won't look to get it till we get back, but quite happy about the prospect of my first dog. Just have to figure out the logistics and if I can afford it...

Give DAR a shout, TSC. They are always very grateful to anyone who can help home some of their dogs. And afair, they help with some of the costs for the first little while.

So, major thanks to people who posted pictures, cause I think I've used them to convince everyone in the house to get a dog :D

We're going on holidays in a few weeks so won't look to get it till we get back, but quite happy about the prospect of my first dog. Just have to figure out the logistics and if I can afford it...

Costs -

* Vaccines etc Euro100ish
    * Bed, toys Euro50+ depending on the size of the dog. If its a bigger dog the bed will be dearer. Get a more expensive one so it will last.
    * Microchip - Euro50ish as well but maybe the vet will do a deal with vaccines.
    * Food. Do not feed him pedigree or anything bought in the supermarket. Buy big 15kgs bags for Euro40+. This should last you 4 months at the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

If you do choose to get one TSC, please get one from your local animal shelter. There are always dogs there that need a good home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

Costs -

* Vaccines etc Euro100ish
    * Bed, toys Euro50+ depending on the size of the dog. If its a bigger dog the bed will be dearer. Get a more expensive one so it will last.
    * Microchip - Euro50ish as well but maybe the vet will do a deal with vaccines.
    * Food. Do not feed him pedigree or anything bought in the supermarket. Buy big 15kgs bags for Euro40+. This should last you 4 months at the start.

we where buying our lab that food but he prefers the cheaper food. not sure why.

I have been looking at DAR. Being honest, I've been on their site regularly for months looking at dogs.

The major worry I have there though is I definitely want a puppy I can train from scratch, and I also reckon I'll be going for a very particular type of dog. I do appreciate why people would want me to go for a rescue animal, but I worry for my first dog, it might not be a good idea...

My dog won't eat dog food. Only pork chops. The vet says its grand provided I give him some pedigree dry food too!

• Advertisement

I have been looking at DAR. Being honest, I've been on their site regularly for months looking at dogs.

The major worry I have there though is I definitely want a puppy I can train from scratch, and I also reckon I'll be going for a very particular type of dog. I do appreciate why people would want me to go for a rescue animal, but I worry for my first dog, it might not be a good idea...

Sometimes the (uh, this isn't the word i want to use, but whatevs) best dogs dont last long on their site.
    Give them a holler and tell them what you are looking for (quiet, trainable pup, etc) and ask them if anything fits to let you know.
    I know they have loads that do this and it might seem bad to be putting in orders to an animal rescue centre, but as long as the dogs and humans are happy at the end of the day, thats what matters.

In saying that, the biggest requirement that most places have is devotion and love for the dog that you accept. If you can't guarantee that to a dog who needs it, i suppose its better not to take it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement