Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic **This Thread Now Closed For Business**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

cena wrote: »
    we where buying our lab that food but he prefers the cheaper food. not sure why.

My dog is the opposite, I bought every tin and packet I could think of but she'll only eat pedigree and never drinks milk. Get dentastix too, great for a treat and good for there teeth. The licence is 20 per year too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

I'd get pet insurance too. My old dog cost my parents thousands in her final years alive. She was constantly back and forward from the vets having checkups, getting tablets, and receiving injections. You can never put a price on the well-being of your dog and I nor my parents never refused to get her treatment just because of the excessive vets bills. However in hindsight I would have definitely gotten her insurance at a young age because there will be a day when you'll need it.

I even spent a couple of hundred on my hamster during his final few weeks in vets bills. He somehow got out of his cage and fell into the sink which had cold water in it. We immediately rushed him to the vets the following day and got him checked over and pumped full of steriods. He however had contracted pneumonia and died peacefully after a few weeks. There's nothing I wouldn't do for one of my pets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The new controls in ac 3 are terrible cant make head nor tail of attacking/ counter attacking

The new controls in ac 3 are terrible cant make head nor tail of attacking/ counter attacking

Play the intro/tutorial again(it helped me). The game itself isn't that good either tbh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

glenjamin wrote: »
    I'd get pet insurance too. My old dog cost my parents thousands in her final years alive. She was constantly back and forward from the vets having checkups, getting tablets, and receiving injections. You can never put a price on the well-being of your dog and I nor my parents never refused to get her treatment just because of the excessive vets bills. However in hindsight I would have definitely gotten her insurance at a young age because there will be a day when you'll need it.

I even spent a couple of hundred on my hamster during his final few weeks in vets bills. He somehow got out of his cage and fell into the sink which had cold water in it. We immediately rushed him to the vets the following day and got him checked over and pumped full of steriods. He however had contracted pneumonia and died peacefully after a few weeks. There's nothing I wouldn't do for one of my pets.

I know the feeling. We had an old dog who died last year, we had her in at the vets many times towards the end. I used to bring a mattress downstairs and sleep in the sitting room with her if it seemed like she was at a low point, I loved her so much. When she died eventually it was in her sleep, so at least it was peaceful. It's amazing how much a pet can mean to you in the comparatively short years they spend on the earth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Probably not the best idea ever to take tablets that say dont operate heavy machinery then drive to work. Wish I could call in sick but it was too late notice. If I go missing, one of two things happened :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

GTR63 wrote: »

Play the intro/tutorial again(it helped me). The game itself isn't that good either tbh.

Iv heard as much from a friend, revelations wasnt great either but at least the location looked better, Boston in winter or Florence hhhhhmmmmm, the controls feel clunkier somehow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

If you do choose to get one TSC, please get one from your local animal shelter. There are always dogs there that need a good home.

Yes, there are. But sometimes people want a specific type of dog, so please do not push the rescue agenda.
    cena wrote: »
    we where buying our lab that food but he prefers the cheaper food. not sure why.

He may prefer it, but pedigree on its own is akin to feeding your dog McDonalds everyday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

gimmick wrote: »
    Yes, there are. But sometimes people want a specific type of dog, so please do not push the rescue agenda.

Thanks :) I've been going over a lot of topics on the animal board, and it nearly makes me worried to post how many topics ask about dogs and get "Get a rescue dog", and get quite forceful about it.

Again, I fully appreciate the benefits of getting a rescue dog. And I appreciate what you're saying Punked. It's just that since it's my first dog, and indeed my first pet beyond some goldfish, I want to make sure it's one that I can train, and also a breed I'll get on with. I still stand by the fact I've a bit of a fear of big dogs, though the brother doesn't want a small dog either :rolleyes: But I will definitly check the rescue before I make a final decision, since I know that they could well have the perfect dog sitting there when I go to get one :p

At the moment I'm leaning towards a Beagle or something similar. I just have to continue researching into a dog which will suit my circumstances...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

As I said bud, The person needs to be open to taking one and if you're not got the head for one then that's cool.
    I don't understand those who make it out that if someone doesn't adopt a dog that they're some sort of asšhole. That's not productive at all.

I wish I could get a dog of my own at the moment too.
    I'm living with my sister and look after her dog quite a bit and would love to think of her as my dog and can take her with me when I move out, but I can't.
    It sucks. :(

Roll on the summer!

• Advertisement

Anyone else hoping Sweden batter us tonite?

Thanks :) I've been going over a lot of topics on the animal board, and it nearly makes me worried to post how many topics ask about dogs and get "Get a rescue dog", and get quite forceful about it.

Again, I fully appreciate the benefits of getting a rescue dog. And I appreciate what you're saying Punked. It's just that since it's my first dog, and indeed my first pet beyond some goldfish, I want to make sure it's one that I can train, and also a breed I'll get on with. I still stand by the fact I've a bit of a fear of big dogs, though the brother doesn't want a small dog either :rolleyes: But I will definitly check the rescue before I make a final decision, since I know that they could well have the perfect dog sitting there when I go to get one :p

At the moment I'm leaning towards a Beagle or something similar. I just have to continue researching into a dog which will suit my circumstances...

Do not use the pets forum here as a guide for getting a dog. I was told not so long ago that I shouldn't even own a dog such was my mistreatment of my dog - I gave him some jam and left him out the back for an hour one evening!!!

If you want a quiet life do not under any circumstances get a beagle. They are lovely dogs, but they are extremely hard work and difficult to train.

I will not hope for a battering, but I honestly couldn't give a flyer one way or other. Trap has me completely disillusioned.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Nope, dont think it'l change things either way re-trap so there is no benefit at all to Ireland losing esp being battered which I would never like to see anyway. It is time he is moved on and I like most (I think) would be happy if he stepped aside after these games should we be out of the running to qualify but I think he will be with us till the qualifiers are over as is his contract. Another hammering wouldnt do our ranking etc good either

Of course not. I want us to go to the next World Cup. The whole Trap affairs mirrors the Benitez one at Chelsea - hoping to see your team fail so the manager gets the chop. I would much rather see Trap succeed and in turn Ireland succeeding. He's not a bad manager, and has done a great job for us. Just makes a lot of baffling decisions at times is all.

Of course not. I want us to go to the next World Cup. The whole Trap affairs mirrors the Benitez one at Chelsea - hoping to see your team fail so the manager gets the chop. I would much rather see Trap succeed and in turn Ireland succeeding. He's not a bad manager, and has done a great job for us. Just makes a lot of baffling decisions at times is all.

he has not done a great job. That is a myth. We scraped though a crazy easy group and got the weakest team ever to qualify for a play off for qualification.

When we qualified the team were exposed badly. Conceded 9, scored 1 and didnt look like getting a result in any of the games.

We start the new campaign shipping 6 at home. I do not care who we are playing, conceding 6 at home is not acceptable. And this happens after falling over the line against the mighty Kazakstan.

Add in the amount of players he seems to be irritating. Why was Doyle left out? Was he not worth a phone call? I do not buy the line of "thats how Trap does biz" as that is a bad way to do biz. He then questions Brady ahead of a huge game for the lad. This comes after the shopping list of players already cast aside/ignored/questioned. Does he not believe in building team spirit?

Cheerio Trap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Even if you're a Trap hater we'll still all be Ireland fans when he's gone and surely any good result under him helps with the all important co efficient. If that slips we'll never qualify again for anything. And surely no one wants that?

Hoping your team loses in any sport is a real spoiled teenager attitude. The same people doing so would be the first ones with the leprechaun hat on declaring their undying support when we next win a game.

Hate Trap all you like but still support the team. Otherwise you have no right to enjoy their wins.

Even if you're a Trap hater we'll still all be Ireland fans when he's gone and surely any good result under him helps with the all important co efficient. If that slips we'll never qualify again for anything. And surely no one wants that?

Hoping your team loses in any sport is a real spoiled teenager attitude. The same people doing so would be the first ones with the leprechaun hat on declaring their undying support when we next win a game.

Hate Trap all you like but still support the team. Otherwise you have no right to enjoy their wins.

The whole situation with Ireland now is a mess since we beat Estonia. Trap is at fault for quite a bit we have players who turn up sometimes, get texts to inform them of nonselections, then we have players who are content with sitting on benches getting called up ahead of players playing. He made such a balls of dropping McCarthy then saying he isn't creative and now he'll have to go recall him now, despite comparing Green to Gattuso who he never picked. I think if they are to move forward Trap and his dated tactics have to go.

First of all let's not let this turn into what you see on the soccer forum :)
    he has not done a great job. That is a myth. We scraped though a crazy easy group and got the weakest team ever to qualify for a play off for qualification.

Hardly scraped through it considering we only lost one match. The group admittedly, could have been harder but we comfortably finished second. Russia are far superior to us, Armenia surprised a lot of people and achieved their best ever qualification record by coming third, and Slovakia aren't a bad little side to be fair. We got lucky with the play off opposition, but qualifying was never in any real doubt throughout.
    When we qualified the team were exposed badly. Conceded 9, scored 1 and didnt look like getting a result in any of the games.

It would have been outrageous to have gotten anything from those 3 games even before a ball was kicked. Spain, Italy, and Croatia are miles better than us.
    We start the new campaign shipping 6 at home. I do not care who we are playing, conceding 6 at home is not acceptable. And this happens after falling over the line against the mighty Kazakstan.

The Kazakhstan match was embarrassing but these things happen. Even the top sides in international football slip up at times. The Germany game showed just exactly how bad we are defensively. Richard Dunne is our only decent centre half. And he's been out injured for months. There's nobody else, there's nobody coming through the ranks that you can say "I can see this lad being at the heart of Ireland's defence for years."
    Add in the amount of players he seems to be irritating. Why was Doyle left out? Was he not worth a phone call? I do not buy the line of "thats how Trap does biz" as that is a bad way to do biz. He then questions Brady ahead of a huge game for the lad. This comes after the shopping list of players already cast aside/ignored/questioned. Does he not believe in building team spirit?

Cheerio Trap.

I can't defend Trap with this. His callups and team selections are very puzzling at times. The constant call up of McShane says it all. Long should be starting every game, Pilkington should have received his first cap long ago, Holohan should be an integral part of the team by now, and likes of Coleman, Clark, and Wilson should have been regulars for the best couple of years.

All that aside and I think we're doing ok. People expect way to much of this Irish team, like we should be qualifying for every tournament and reaching the knockout rounds, etc. This team is bad. There's a few decent players there but no one even comes close to the world class tag. Sure only one of our players played in Europe this season! We're exactly where we should be. Trap was the first manager in years to get us to a major tournament and he almost made it to two. After all he's done he deserves to finish off this qualifying campaign. And if he doesn't then I'm sure he'll leave. But to be fair it would be a shock if we did qualify, as once again we find ourselves up against opposition who are better than we are - Sweden and Germany.

The whole situation with Ireland now is a mess since we beat Estonia. Trap is at fault for quite a bit we have players who turn up sometimes, get texts to inform them of nonselections, then we have players who are content with sitting on benches getting called up ahead of players playing. He made such a balls of dropping McCarthy then saying he isn't creative and now he'll have to go recall him now, despite comparing Green to Gattuso who he never picked. I think if they are to move forward Trap and his dated tactics have to go.
    All of this is fine and a perfectly sensible stance to take.

But hoping Ireland lose? F*ck right off IMO.

Am I the only one who is far more interested in England than Ireland when it comes to international games?

Maybe it's the United fan in me, and England tends to be "United + the best from the Premier League's other teams", but when I bother with internationals, it tends to be watching England :(

• Advertisement

Am I the only one who is far more interested in England than Ireland when it comes to international games?

Maybe it's the United fan in me, and England tends to be "United + the best from the Premier League's other teams", but when I bother with internationals, it tends to be watching England :(
    At least you're honest. Nothing worse than fellas getting their knickers in a twist over Utd every weekend then slating the England team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Bring back Mick McCarthy,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

But hoping Ireland lose? F*ck right off IMO.
    First off let's leave the moral high ground stuff aside, esp when it comes to Boards. He wants Ireland to lose because Trap is that inept in his role. That's not what I'd feel but I can understand it. His treatment of his players is shocking. Just look at yer Gibsons. McCarthy shouldn't have to fight so hard for his place. You'd swear he was Graham Barrett. Long was left out when he was easily 3x the player Doyle was at the time.

I actually respect you a lot for this. It makes an awful lot of sense considering the amount of foreign football interest in this country. You relate to the players more when you watch them each week. I did like seeing England's hype machine humbled in the past but found myself really liking Hodgson's squad for the Euros.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Bring back Mick McCarthy,

At Centre Back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

If you support an English club then its grand normally, but if your more interested in England vs San Marino then Ireland vs Sweden from a footballing point of view its strange.

kksaints wrote: »
    If you support an English club then its grand normally, but if your more interested in England vs San Marino then Ireland vs Sweden from a footballing point of view its strange.

Not watching either game tbh. To be 100% honest, I rarely watch internationals unless I'm betting on them (just watched Germany vs Kaz for instance). More just, if there's nothing but an Ireland game verses an English game, it's the English one I'd watch first...

First off let's leave the moral high ground stuff aside, esp when it comes to Boards. He wants Ireland to lose because Trap is that inept in his role. That's not what I'd feel but I can understand it. His treatment of his players is shocking. Just look at yer Gibsons. McCarthy shouldn't have to fight so hard for his place. You'd swear he was Graham Barrett. Long was left out when he was easily 3x the player Doyle was at the time.
    If he cares so little as to hope the team he supports loses because he disagrees with the manager then Id suggest his "support" wasnt worth a sh*te in the first place and no great loss to the team.

A bit over-dramatic. This isn't a group we're realistically qualifying from, not impossible but very difficult. I dunno would wishing for one bad result for the greater good, in gtr's opinion make him a useless fan.

Greene has been tactically good so far but the yellow is going to limit an-already limited player.

A bit over-dramatic. This isn't a group we're realistically qualifying from, not impossible but very difficult. I dunno would wishing for one bad result for the greater good, in gtr's opinion make him a useless fan.

Greene has been tactically good so far but the yellow is going to limit an-already limited player.

One defeat won't see Trap gone. The FAI can't afford to pay him off.

Anyone concerned with the greater good would want to see us do as well as possible to get a good seeding for the next manager in 2016 qualifying.

If say GTR is disbusted with the display so far!

• Advertisement

8-0 England result nets me a profit for the day, thank God.

Ireland get the draw. Fair play. Anyone watching, what were they like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

T'was a very good performance from the Irish team. With better finishing from Long in the first-half it could have been a fabulous result. Will gladly take a draw from it.

I think the tactics worked nicely. Delighted for Trap.

Now for the Austrians.

One defeat won't see Trap gone. The FAI can't afford to pay him off.

Anyone concerned with the greater good would want to see us do as well as possible to get a good seeding for the next manager in 2016 qualifying.

If say GTR is disbusted with the display so far!

Disbusted?
    A bit drowsy alrite, good performance but neither of them looked like a side going far. Ibrahimovic would of got more help from the guys for San Marino.

T'was a very good performance from the Irish team. With better finishing from Long in the first-half it could have been a fabulous result. Will gladly take a draw from it.

I think the tactics worked nicely. Delighted for Trap.

Now for the Austrians.
    Good committed display. Despite his obvious limitations Green fully justified his selection tonight.

Trap got it right tonight, apart from leaving Wes out and deserves credit for setting the team up well. We are still well in the hunt for second which is more than most people believed.

I think Trap got everything right tonight, except maybe how late he made changes. That said though Hoolahan was poor when he came on by his high standards.

Leave it to a Galway United legend to keep Ibra scoreless.

I think Trap got everything right tonight, except maybe how late he made changes. That said though Hoolahan was poor when he came on by his high standards.

Leave it to a Galway United legend to keep Ibra scoreless.
    I think Wes looked livelier than Keane in his few mins on the field and Id play him in that halfway role against Austria.

Was happy for Forde.

• Advertisement

Do not use the pets forum here as a guide for getting a dog. I was told not so long ago that I shouldn't even own a dog such was my mistreatment of my dog - I gave him some jam and left him out the back for an hour one evening!!!

If you want a quiet life do not under any circumstances get a beagle. They are lovely dogs, but they are extremely hard work and difficult to train.

(Sorry to go back to this but wanted to ask...)

Where then do you recommend I go for dog related questions?

I wouldn't mind asking some people some questions about breeders, types of dog that would suit me, etc. But looking at the forum, it does look very daunting in how they treat newbies.

And yeah, reading about beagles, they look like quite a bit of work. Not that I'd mind, granted; being unemployed, I have the time and as I've said, I want to try and train her (think I'd like a girl) from scratch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

So my MSN Messenger is gone forever, confined to Internet Heaven along with the WWF chat room.

Charisteas wrote: »
    So my MSN Messenger is gone forever, confined to Internet Heaven along with the WWF chat room.

People still used it? I thought Skype and Facebook had done away with it?

I still have a hotmail email (and a gmail, yahoo, rocketmail......) but havent used MSN in forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Well MSN has been dying for ages, barely anyone used it but it had great sentimental value to me as it was a great way of chatting up girls back in my teenage days. :pac:

It's being official phased out now and I think the official cut-off date is in April. Seeing as Skype is really only for video chat, I may have to reluctantly start to use Facebook.

Hotmail is gone now too, merged with Microsoft Outlook, but if you have a Hotmail e-mail address it will remain unchanged.

(Sorry to go back to this but wanted to ask...)

Where then do you recommend I go for dog related questions?

I wouldn't mind asking some people some questions about breeders, types of dog that would suit me, etc. But looking at the forum, it does look very daunting in how they treat newbies.

And yeah, reading about beagles, they look like quite a bit of work. Not that I'd mind, granted; being unemployed, I have the time and as I've said, I want to try and train her (think I'd like a girl) from scratch...

I wouldn't stay away from the A&P forum completely, just be careful on how you word things. Do a search before starting a thread as well as you will find that the same questions are asked over and again - what food should we get, what insurance, how much exercise, is DoneDeal an ok place to buy etc etc etc.

People will push the rescue agenda as god forbid you want a specific breed and you go to a breeder or buy from donedeal.

• Advertisement

Can brakes on a car freeze?

Driving home there and mine stopped working. Had to swerve to avoid a car and then go through a red light while praying nothing came from either side. Hit a curb and finally they worked again. Scared the fcuk out of me! :(

Doesnt look to be any damage done thankfully.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Can brakes on a car freeze?

Driving home there and mine stopped working. Had to swerve to avoid a car and then go through a red light while praying nothing came from either side. Hit a curb and finally they worked again. Scared the fcuk out of me! :(

Doesnt look to be any damage done thankfully.
    Yikes, that's a pretty alarming thing to have happen.

Denny M wrote: »
    Yikes, that's a pretty alarming thing to have happen.

My brother reckons it was snow caught in them but he'll have a look when he gets home himself to make sure. I usually go to bed when I come home, no chance of sleeping after that!

In probably the least shocking shock announcement, The Phantom Pain game that the trailer was released for a few months back, and that everyone thought would be the next Metal Gear Solid game, has been confirmed as the next Metal Gear Solid game.

https://twitter.com/Konami/status/316976939032252416

Anyone else playing Bioshock Infinite?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Anyone seen Gi joe yet??

I thought MGS: Ground Zeroes was the next game?
    Not got Infinite yet might get it on Friday, i've avoided most spoilers.

I thought MGS: Ground Zeroes was the next game?
    Not got Infinite yet might get it on Friday, i've avoided most spoilers.

It seems as if Ground Zeroes IS Phantom Pain.

(EDIT: Reading that "Franchise creator Hideo Kojima revealed today (March 27) that Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain together make the Metal Gear Solid sequel.")

Playing through Infinite right now, and it is awesome. Taking me ages to go through it simply cause I keep stopping to marvel at the asethics.

Just perusing this thread and the old OTT. This one seems almost courteous in comparison to the last one.

I am not sure is this a good or a bad thing!!

**** off Gimmick! You smell!

Better? :p

Just completed Bioshock Infinite. So great.

Just perusing this thread and the old OTT. This one seems almost courteous in comparison to the last one.

I am not sure is this a good or a bad thing!!

Yeah the nastiest thing I said in the old thread was that the London Riots could of been avoided had more youths watched more Fresh Prince of Bel Air when they were growing up.
    I was fair tempted to have a go at Trap on Tuesday but decided not to out of courtesy and fear i'd turn into some sort of Werewolf eamon dunphy who ended every sentence saying Baby.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement