Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic **This Thread Now Closed For Business**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Belfast is a hell of a town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Could you guys recommend stuff to go/see in Belfast? Doesn't have to be an event/gig, just whatever you saw when you were there.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Could you guys recommend stuff to go/see in Belfast? Doesn't have to be an event/gig, just whatever you saw when you were there.

I've been up a few times now, once for a gig (so i didnt see too much) once to go shopping and once to visit someone.
    The shopping end of it all really impressed me. It certainly is a much more rounded cultural city then say, dublin would be.

Off the top of my head the most interesting things are anything to do with the titanic, obviously, the botanic gardens and the museum which is right beside it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

CMpunked wrote: »
    Belfast is a hell of a town.

The schoolyard is up, the shopping mall is down, Belfast, Belfast? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

jaykhunter wrote: »

If you wanted you could head on up to The Giant's Causeway and call into Bushmills Brewery

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Pretty good win for the Banner yesterday AET can`t wait for the championship this summer(looks at watch, sighs).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Oh God.

Terrorist attack in America at the Boston marathon :( Breaking on all news outlets. Horrible pictures. Talks of lots of injuries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I'd advise people not to be clicking on random links to websites and on Twitter if you don't want to see blood all over sidewalks and people with limbs blown off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Actually heading to Belfast myself next week, just on a coach day tour though but looks like they squeeze so much into the day so I'm looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Its horrific stuff. Caution advised even on the news channels. Its not as bad above but still shocking stuff.

Its a tragedy I cant understand how people can do things like that to eachother

• Advertisement

Reports of a third explosion, but controlled by police. Ball bearings found at scene. 3 dead. Multiple injuries. America on high alert all over the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Absolute rubbish on Fox News "we will rise above and be stronger,you won't take us down" bull**** ,It only just happened care for the dead and injured

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

EdK wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish on Fox News "we will rise above and be stronger,you won't take us down" bull**** ,It only just happened care for the dead and injured
    Fox isn't known for its unbiased reporting.

Still, this is a tragic thing to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Considering how big an emphasis these marathons have on charity this is so sad. People are sick sometimes.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

EdK wrote: »

Sounds more like a Cena t-shirt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

There is bound to be a few Irish in the marathon given the amount of Irish living in Boston, hope everyone is ok though seems to be rumours of three confirmed dead so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    There is bound to be a few Irish in the marathon given the amount of Irish living in Boston, hope everyone is ok though seems to be rumours of three confirmed dead so far

My friends cousin crossed the line 2 mins before it went off.

They said on the RTE news about 100 or so Irish had signed up for the Marathon

Wow. Wonder who is behind it.

Its possible that it isnt one of the usual suspects. With the rise in absolute fcuktards going out and getting stupidly powerful guns and shooting up schools and cinemas, whats the chance of getting bombs?

It seems like an amateur job. If someone really knew what they were doing we'd be talking about dozens or hundreds dead instead of thankfully so few.

• Advertisement

Wow. Wonder who is behind it.

Its possible that it isnt one of the usual suspects. With the rise in absolute fcuktards going out and getting stupidly powerful guns and shooting up schools and cinemas, whats the chance of getting bombs?

Have a point there , but you know that those suspects will be blamed 1st . Not saying it was/was'nt them but it was def planned since the 2nd bomb went off within 15 seconds or so of the 1st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I ****ing hate the bull**** and hyperbole on the news channels. Constant rolling headlines, almost gleeful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

There was a list of all the Irish participants over in the thread in AH.

http://www.thejournal.ie/eight-year-old-boy-among-dead-in-boston-marathon-explosions-871536-Apr2013/?utm_source=twitter_self

Says 8 year old boy was killed . Also two head injuries to a 14-year-old and a two-year-old :eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

I hope the perpetrators of this are found quickly and brought to justice. Same goes to those involved with the car bombs in Iraq.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

D.Q wrote: »
    I ****ing hate the bull**** and hyperbole on the news channels. Constant rolling headlines, almost gleeful.

Nothing compared to all the people piggybacking on this disaster on Facebook, I saw one picture last night saying like for this puppy that was scared when the bombs went off in Boston. I also saw a status update saying OMG, 40 killed n Boston tonight, like and share if you care, ignore if you are glad they died!

like WTF!! People annoy me sometimes!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

lockie1983 wrote: »
    Nothing compared to all the people piggybacking on this disaster on Facebook, I saw one picture last night saying like for this puppy that was scared when the bombs went off in Boston. I also saw a status update saying OMG, 40 killed n Boston tonight, like and share if you care, ignore if you are glad they died!

What. I mean I know people have stupid "likes" on facebook, but seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

lockie1983 wrote: »

tumblr_med6veIenp1rqt0kqo1_500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Saw one this morning of a pic of a lad checking on a girl following the explosion. It read that he was planning on proposing to her at the end of the marathon. How the fcuk does anyone know something like that only hours after it happened? Then follows it up with Like=Respect, Share=Prayer. Fcuk right off! Can't stand people who fish for likes. Makes me want to delete my Facebook at times.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

glenjamin wrote: »
    Saw one this morning of a pic of a lad checking on a girl following the explosion. It read that he was planning on proposing to her at the end of the marathon. How the fcuk does anyone know something like that only hours after it happened? Then follows it up with Like=Respect, Share=Prayer. Fcuk right off! Can't stand people who fish for likes. Makes me want to delete my Facebook at times.

Yea I saw that one too. I honestly was going to delete mine last night too, I fear for society I really do.

glenjamin wrote: »

Same sh*t happens on FB/boards whenever there's a tragedy. Would sicken your hole. Its almost like people are competing to very the most affected/aggrieved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Boards is a haven of those types of morons. Such righteous pains in the hole.

And fat people. Boards is choc-a-bloc with the corpulent.

thats what ya get when you have a generation raised on television drama. I see it so often after any tragic event like this. People are almost grasping for a reason to be affected by it in some way so they can have their own little episode.

Then you have morons spamming facebook with the above mentioned pictures, almost competing with each other, so everyone else can know that THEY are feeling THE MOST sad about it, its really weird, self involved behaviour.

That said, I wouldnt delete facebook, its a handy enough communication tool. I'd delete the morons.

1 thanks = 1 PRAYER

<3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

There was a funny one I saw not so long ago.

Picture of a fairly pretty girl with a shaven head.

The caption was "like" if you hate cancer, "comment" if you think she is beautiful.

After 2000+ comments about how brace she is to look so good after what she has gone through, the girl herself who is in the picture posts something along the lines of

"I do not have cancer you fúcking assholes, please take this photo down"

I have blocked an awful lot of people who "like" thes epics of a deformed child etc. Idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I also agree that facebook feeds are horrendous these days. Because social media is where I want to get my religious and political views. It's a shame people have to impose their views on say, gun control or conspiracies onto you. Asshats.

• Advertisement

Another one of those like pictures is where it says for every like "a certain hospital" will donate €1/$1 to a certain area in the hosptial etc:mad::mad:

I would also like to know whos giving out free iphones etc if you like and share. Has anyone ever won a FB competition

The only reason I have a facebook page is so I can stalk.....I mean keep in contact with someone :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The people I used to check out on FB were sadly always the biggest attention seekers. Put me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

D.Q wrote: »
    I would also like to know whos giving out free iphones etc if you like and share. Has anyone ever won a FB competition

here's why: http://daylandoes.com/facebook-like-scams/
    All these metrics contribute to a users ‘EdgeRank’ – the score your profile is given that dictates how your page interacts with other profiles on Facebook. The greater a page/profiles edge rank is, the more it will be exposed in people’s newsfeed. EdgeRank is the reason you see a lot of rubbish in your Facebook newsfeed these days. Certain people and pages have EdgeRank factors that Facebook have decided are relevant to you.

So back to the original issue: Why do these pages exist?

A: Because there is money to be made from it.

Businesses worldwide are trying to figure out how to best utilise platforms like Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus (haha, na I’m just kidding about Google Plus). They know that EdgeRank, likes, brand exposure and followers are important, even if they don’t know exactly why or what to do with it. But the problem is, building up these audiences and edge rank is a time consuming and often difficult task. And because of the time and effort required, this occurs :

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anyone know if HMV stores in ROI will open again now Hilco has bought it

I know buying on line is cheaper these days but I liked going in store to browse

Here you go Liz.
    Hilco completes acquisition of HMV
    April 5th, 2013

Hilco has today completed the acquisition of the business and certain assets of HMV, the iconic entertainment retailer, from its Administrators, Deloitte.

The business includes 141 stores, 25 of which had previously been slated for closure by the Administrators, and approximately 2,500 employees. All nine Fopp stores are also included in the purchase.

Paul McGowan, CEO of Hilco, said: “We have spent a number of weeks negotiating revised terms with landlords and the key suppliers to the business, all of whom have been supportive of our plans to maintain an entertainment retailer on the High Street.”

“We hope to replicate some of the success we have had in the Canadian market with the HMV Canada business which we acquired almost two years ago and which is now trading strongly. The structural differences in the markets and the higher level of competition in the UK will prove additional challenges for the UK business but we believe it has a successful future ahead of it.”

The HMV UK business will initially be led by a Hilco team working alongside existing management. The Hilco team will be led by Ian Topping, formerly Chief Executive of the Steinhoff Group in the UK, and Henry Foster, an Investment Director at Hilco while Paul McGowan will take up the role of Chairman of the new business.

Ian Topping commented: “This is an exciting investment for the Hilco team and we will be able to use some of the developments already progressed in Canada to restore HMV to health. We intend to reverse the earlier decisions to sell tablets and other devices in the stores and to reclaim the space for an enhanced music and visual range.”

“The reaction of the British public to the administration of HMV shows a strong desire for the business to continue to trade and we hope to play a constructive part in delivering that.”

Hilco has also confirmed that it is in negotiations with a number of landlords with a view to re-establishing an HMV business in the Republic of Ireland after Receivers there closed the business shortly after their appointment.

HMV and GameStop were the only two shops I liked going to when I was out with the missus in town. And Dundrum doesn't even have a Gamestop which fcuks me right up when I'm out that way. Now I'm stuck following her around rather than "meet you back here in one hour", as we both go off and do our separate things. There's nothing better when walking around Penneys and finding a ledge or one of those seats where you try on shoes, to sit on and wait. Bring back HMV!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Anyone know if HMV stores in ROI will open again now Hilco has bought it

I know buying on line is cheaper these days but I liked going in store to browse

I'd imagine the Grafton Street store will reopen in some capacity considering it's high street shopping location.

I'd imagine the Grafton Street store will reopen in some capacity considering it's high street shopping location.

Yea also the one on Henry Street aswell id guess

At a million per year rent they would be better to reopen the smaller cheaper stores at first.
    The local Hmv where I live should be relocated if its reopened back into the town instead of the shopping centre which isn't as active as it once was.

With all the talk of Boston, it got me thinking, where did thebostoncrab go? Does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

At a million per year rent they would be better to reopen the smaller cheaper stores at first.
    The local Hmv where I live should be relocated if its reopened back into the town instead of the shopping centre which isn't as active as it once was.

Trouble with that is the existing shops are already ideally setup and styled for HMV, so the cost of reopening, and maybe organising a reduction in rent means they'd be more likely to open in their previous locations. Besides, where else in Drogheda would you move them too? I've always found it to be a very hard town to move around in with all the one-way streets etc.

I'd say they'd look to open the one in the Marshes in Dundalk before the Drogheda one. Marshes one was always pretty busy.

Is it seriously that expensive?

I saw a report a few weeks back that HMV were paying 1.7 million a year for the Grafton Street store. They said now they are offering it at the "cut price" of 1 million a year...

A few of the DVDs that I had to relist on ebay because of non paying buyers also now have non paying buyers :mad:

Last time I use ebay for selling. Not being able to leave bad feedback for buyers along with ridiculous fees - its not worth it.

Has anyone seen Red Dawn yet? I love the original but I'm a bit hesitant about this one since the lad from Drake and Josh is in it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement