Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic **This Thread Now Closed For Business**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

^^^ class!!! "Stick yer wing mirrors in love"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Leinster were superb against Biarritz (who Connacht slayed this season in mighty fashion). Munster had a great 2nd against Clermont (best club in the NH) but came up short. Laulala and Jones were very good. Only just turned on the Liverpool match and I've seen 2 goals and a red.

That was my Saturday (did **** all)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Ah I love seeing Alan Pardew getting humiliated its even sweeter that Liverpool have done it.
    Diabhal Beag is jumping province now ;)

I'm a terrible Connacht supporter if I'm honest. I've been to about 5 matches in the Sportsground in the last two years. Connemara Man will probably want my head on a pike in Buskers. I'm more of a GAA head anyways though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Just finished Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles.

Was interesting, but the most frustrating thing is it ends on such a massive cliffhanger which was dripping with potential, only for the show to get cancelled :mad: Hate when that happens...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I'm a terrible Connacht supporter if I'm honest. I've been to about 5 matches in the Sportsground in the last two years. Connemara Man will probably want my head on a pike in Buskers. I'm more of a GAA head anyways though.

How about this, you say nothing about my lack of Galway GAA attendance and I say nothing about Connacht ;-)
    As a Connacht fan theres been some great moments this year. May 17th Il be hoping for a Leinster win Heineken cup nights in Galway are great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Apologies if there's any QPR fans on here but I'm delighted they got relegated. Enjoy the Championship, 'Arry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Was interesting, but the most frustrating thing is it ends on such a massive cliffhanger which was dripping with potential, only for the show to get cancelled :mad: Hate when that happens...

That's why I am reluctant to even bother with series 2 tbh. Surprised no one else picked it up. Very good show.

If it helps, I think S2 was far better than S1 (reading about S1, it fell during the writers' strikes, hence some dropped story arcs). Some good characters, a really strong story arc. If you've watched S1, I'd definitely watch S2...

Right, now to start Game of Thrones. Really need to get watching before it's majorly spoiled on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

There is literally nothing worse when it comes to tv.
    Happened with My Name Is Earl. I'm still devastated by that because it was a big emotional cliffhanger and not just a comedic antics one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I'm still annoyed with the ending of Alcatraz. Hoped it would be picked up by someone else but havent heard anything so I'm guessing it's not coming back. Same with the Finder. A spin off from Bones that was far better.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I'm still annoyed with the ending of Alcatraz.

That show was pretty excellent and really should have been huge.
    Anyone watch that new one, Revolution?

glenjamin wrote: »
    Apologies if there's any QPR fans on here but I'm delighted they got relegated. Enjoy the Championship, 'Arry!

Themselves and Reading were crap today it was rather fitting they both took the plunge together. The guy in charge of QPR looks like an idiot anytime they lose its like its only dawning on him they are rubbish. Whoever goes down with them will deserve it too as there has been about 6,7 teams down there who have had very bad seasons.

It's about time Wigan went down. Every season they spend the majority of it in the relegation zone only for a late run of form to keep them out. Martinez is a very overrated manager, and Wigan have been punching above their weight in the Prem for years.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I'm still annoyed with the ending of Alcatraz. Hoped it would be picked up by someone else but havent heard anything so I'm guessing it's not coming back. Same with the Finder. A spin off from Bones that was far better.

Yeah, Alcatraz was frustrating, though I didn't feel it was as good as it could have been, so it didn't overly annoy me. Still wish I knew what happened next. I think though, if I remember right, I had read it was cancelled before I started the show so I think that stopped me getting fully into it.

Never tried Finder. Must do, cause I like Bones, even if she's been having yearly lobotomies as a character.
    CMpunked wrote: »
    That show was pretty excellent and really should have been huge.
    Anyone watch that new one, Revolution?

Revolution frustrates me, cause I wrote the plot as a book a few years back, and now Abrams has done it, mine looks like a knock-off :( Even had the scenes of planes falling out of the sky, the way countries fall apart and militias form, similar characters. Is annoying. Not, mind, that it was a hugely original idea. Just that how he's done it makes mine look unsellable now.

That said, so far it's pretty good. There's one major flaw I have with it, namely
    characters keep dying, meaning you're reluctant to actually care about anyone
    , but the two main characters are three dimensional enough to keep interest going. There's also the fact that Abrams seems so intent not to follow the mistakes of Lost, he asks a dozen questions per episode and then answers them all immediately; the pilot is two hours long and covers about two series worth of plot twist and character development. Still, silver lining is that it keeps it interesting.

Along similar lines, only one episode left of Alphas on SyFy on Thursday night. Another show I felt didn't deserve to be cancelled so early. :(

Wigan staying up despite having the worst squad on paper every year is the last thing I care about in football. Take that away and I'll be a sad panda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

CMpunked wrote: »
    There is literally nothing worse when it comes to tv.
    Happened with My Name Is Earl. I'm still devastated by that because it was a big emotional cliffhanger and not just a comedic antics one.

I really liked that show as well, it was a rare breed of having a positive moral core but also being very funny. NBC canned it and when 20th Century Fox when to shop it around, they couldn't get a deal made without changing the whole idea of the show. So it's probably for the best it didn't find a new home. At least we got 4 seasons, that's 2-3 series more than a lot of great shows!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

glenjamin wrote: »
    It's about time Wigan went down. Every season they spend the majority of it in the relegation zone only for a late run of form to keep them out. Martinez is a very overrated manager, and Wigan have been punching above their weight in the Prem for years.

Its one of the best stories every year Wigan turn Into Barcelona mid -April. I'd much rather see the likes of stoke go down because they play terrible football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Well Revolution has got a second season, haven't watched it myself yet

I did like The Finder thought it much better than Bones

Gareth Bale wins PFA player of the year again, really thought Robin Van Persie should have

Wigan staying up despite having the worst squad on paper every year is the last thing I care about in football. Take that away and I'll be a sad panda.

Ah Dave Whelan can f**K right off. :mad:
    They only ever stay up cause the likes of Fulham, Swansea and West Brom go on their holidays around April and basically forfeit there games with token efforts

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Well Revolution has got a second season, haven't watched it myself yet

I did like The Finder thought it much better than Bones

Gareth Bale wins PFA player of the year again, really thought Robin Van Persie should have imo

Up until January it was RVP's to lose. Bale has had an amazing season though. Spurs wouldn't even be in contention for a Champs' League spot if it wasn't for him.

GTR63 wrote: »
    Ah Dave Whelan can f**K right off. :mad:
    Simon Jordan is the only chairman I ever hated.

Simon Jordan is the only chairman I ever hated.

Ah but he had a lovely head of hair ;)
    Whelan is more annoying like the time when L`pool were talking to Martinez & he was ringing in Sky keeping them updated on it, what a tit.
    I also find it odd how they are in the league nearly 10 years yet still have no money despite the tv windfall and cheap budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

GTR63 wrote: »
    Ah but he had a lovely head of hair ;)
    Whelan is more annoying like the time when L`pool were talking to Martinez & he was ringing in Sky keeping them updated on it, what a tit.
    I also find it odd how they are in the league nearly 10 years yet still have no money despite the tv windfall and cheap budget.

They don't really have any fans to be fair:(

Rjd2 wrote: »
    They don't really have any fans to be fair:(

Whats the average attendance 20,000 that is about the same as Swansea and only about 5,000 less than Stoke, Fulham and West Brom.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I really liked that show as well, it was a rare breed of having a positive moral core but also being very funny. NBC canned it and when 20th Century Fox when to shop it around, they couldn't get a deal made without changing the whole idea of the show. So it's probably for the best it didn't find a new home. At least we got 4 seasons, that's 2-3 series more than a lot of great shows!

That I never knew!
    What were they proposing be changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Be funny if Villa went down though. Always thought their fans had ideas well above their station. (sorry BH :pac:).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

And to think, only a few short years ago they were challenging for Europa League spots.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Be funny if Villa went down though. Always thought their fans had ideas well above their station. (sorry BH :pac:).

tbh I've never really felt that about Villa fans although there are a few who just think we were european champions and find it hard to accept fighting relegation etc as reality, older fans doing this I could somewhat understand though as it must be hard to have seen your team at the peak of the game only to now have to see 8-0 losses to Chelsea and Alex McLeish in charge.

There are a lot of Villa fans in Ireland though more than most would expect for a club which hasnt been very successful in recent years although maybe that is down to the Irish players at the club down the years like when McGrath, Staunton, Townsend & Houghton were all there at the same time.

We have had a very trying few years from MON's mad spending and non use of his squad players who were on big wages, to GEDs health and then the entire McLeish debacle all while the purse strings had to be tightened. I see improvement under Lambert though and am putting stock in the beat that is Benteke to get us the points to stay up.

anyway as people are talking about new TV shows that havent had many series i'd like to suggest House of Cards. If you like Kevin Spacey you will love it simple as (unless you hate everything to do with politics). Might have been Netflicks first big show, the next I eagerly anticipate as it's (another one that truely fits the discussion) the return of arrested Development!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Why does O'Neill get all the grief for spending money his chairman/owner gave him/let him spend? He had Villa up the league table, some exciting players during his time.

the wages thing got out of hand throughout the league not just at Villa.

Sure didn't John Gregory buy Bosco Balaban or whatever his name was.

for what its worth though I like Villa, always give young players a go. 6th best team in PL history for longevity and points scored. Normally played good football over the years. I hope Lambert keeps them up.

I remember one season Villa were going grand then MON brought in Heskey for some reason & soon after it went downhill.

I feel like I should quote a Helix post on the topic of MON but this isnt the soccer forum so I wont go overboard on the detail and say that it wasnt neccesarily the spending it was the waste once it was spent with players like Beye picking up 40k a week to never play and the fact that there was so little return on much of the money spent NRC for example signed for 8.5m and left for free (just two examples I know but we could go on for ever).

The Heskey thing was whe it all started to go wrong for MON & Villa, we were actually well ahead of Arsenal in the chase for CL football (not that most Villa fans really expected CL football or anything) and then to accommodate the great Ivanhoe changed our formation and suddenly started losing. Never recovered from that and Villas chance to capitalise on the big money they had spent was gone as City / Spurs grew as a force and we eventually fell back down the pecking order.

On the young player thing Villa just won the Next Gen series beating Chelsea in the final and have a core of very talent Irish youth in that side who id love to see playing Premiership football in the next few years

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Villa are one of those teams I kind of always figured would be around. Never really challenging for first, but certainly finishing in the upper half of the league, and perhaps pushing for the Euro spots. Then again, I thought that about Bolton Wanderers too :P

I know waste went on, and as an outsider I wouldn't be as emotive and obviously more inclined to look past mistakes. Heskey was a young man with O'Neill at Leicester and he thought something of real value existed in the lad and it was a genuine mistake.

The big problem I suppose was what happened after O'Neill left, some pretty clueless management of the club went on at a high level.

Lambert was a good choice of manager and I think he has a good chance of keeping Villa up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Joe Schmidt gets the job.

Really don't want to built up excessive excitement but really looking forward to what'll come of it.

• Advertisement

Tonights game is so much better than the Qpr, reading match.

Weimann is class, sorry BH but I can't see Villa hanging onto him for long.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Tonights game is so much better than the Qpr, reading match.

Weimann is class, sorry BH but I can't see Villa hanging onto him for long.

tbh the same could be said for almost any quality player at Villa atm, see Benteke and umm...

dont know if I can physically last till the end of this match as itl be 5am by the time its over but jaysus its an interesting one to watch, bet it's good for a Neutral. Villa want to be in the Prem next year thats for sure, wont see any Villa players laughing at the final whistle if they cant keep this going

V good game so far.

There shall be some mighty fine players up for grabs from the bottom three this year. QPR, Reading and ALL the teams with one foot in that third spot all have some decent talent who will surely get picked up.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    There shall be some mighty fine players up for grabs from the bottom three this year. QPR, Reading and ALL the teams with one foot in that third spot all have some decent talent who will surely get picked up.

Would be loathe to go near any of QPR's mercenaries tbh. Haven't exactly covered themselves in glory this season.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

QPR always deserved to go down, purely for giving chris samba an £100k p/w contract. Utter madness.

:)

Just happy Arry failed. Villa are tearing Bardsley a sunder(land).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Why are belgium producing all these super young players... give us a few will ya

Benteke hat-trick 5-1, Villa now have the same GD as Wigan and Newcastle too and it's not over yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Kind of happy to see Villa take Di Canio down a peg or two but a quiet week for Benteke would have really helped my FF team. :(

Have a new job and am in the market for a new laptop. Any advice guys? Was thinking of picking up a cheap enough pre-owned Macbook online.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Have a new job and am in the market for a new laptop. Any advice guys? Was thinking of picking up a cheap enough pre-owned Macbook online.

If you want something reliable and gonna need something to do more than view boards and YouTube then get one, you really can't go wrong with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'm not a fan of buying pre-owned or display-model electronics. They've already got a year or two on the clock and in my experience, give you problems and need replacing after a year or so.

It depends what you need it to do. If you're looking for something low-processing, like word etc, ie a facebook machine, get a netbook? Adverts are selling them 2nd hand from 150-200 but for £175 (€207) you can buy a new one from Amazon.co.uk.

51817ccc76e078-84547287

fist-pump-baby.jpeg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement