Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic **This Thread Now Closed For Business**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Mate of mine was on that show. Can't remember if she got a date or not! I'd love to try that!

You can't remember?
    Ask him goddamit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

GTR63 wrote: »
    You can't remember?
    Ask him goddamit!

Haven't spoken to her in a while. She might've. She enjoyed it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The Shield has now been watched. Greatly enjoyed and in my top 2 shows ever.

The Shield has now been watched. Greatly enjoyed and in my top 2 shows ever.

Only behind Quizone yeah?

Quizone was the show that The Sopranos wished it could be.

• Advertisement

Quizone was the show that The Sopranos wished it could be.

Without The Godfather & Goodfellas I doubt there would of ever been a Quizone tbh. A staggering achievement in any medium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

peoples reactions to not getting garth brooks tickets have been insane. Really didnt think he was all that relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

David Moyes is so out of his depth its frightening.:eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

And quoting again...
    Jack-Donaghy-Crying-Into-Pillow-30-Rock.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

• Advertisement

Finding it hard to garner much sympathy compared to the poor students who died in Belgium. Some of my friends did them nominations, so utterly stupid. It originated in Australia? Really giant cup of who gives a ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

And quoting again...

Should have went for Mourinho, he was begging for it last year but for silly reasons they went for Moyes who is totally out of his depth.

I know people say give him time, but look at the results and table and its going to be hard to attract world class players in the summer with him at the helm.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

rovert wrote: »

Another lad dead in Carlow from neckonominate.

It's a stupid trend that only shows just how far people will go to appease social media peer pressure. Hopefully this will wake people up and put a stop to the madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Getting fed up with the ps4 at this stage great console and the games are great just had so many problems with it now. Big one was it not working straight out of the box... How can you ship a console or any product and it dosent work? Baffling. Now the controller connects to the ps4 but doesn't register any buttons when you go into a game.

Hate the people that complain about the little things but starting to see it now.

You literally couldn't die a more preventable death than chugging a pint of spirit.

Kolo Toure you Cünt

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Saw someone on Facebook give out about him, what'd he do?

Did he do a #neknomination on the pitch?

Did he do a #neknomination on the pitch?

He put Anichibe through for an equalizer in a important game Liverpool blew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Apparently Phillip Seymour Hoffman is dead.

It's someone everyone knows but looking through his Filmography I'm not sure what I know him from. Seems to just be in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,980 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

gnfnrhead wrote: »

It's someone everyone knows but looking through his Filmography I'm not sure what I know him from. Seems to just be in general.

This is true it seems, RIP such a gifted actor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Dear God, a heroin overdose in his apartment. Such a horrible way to go out.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/philip-seymour-hoffman-found-dead-in-new-york-1.1676898

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Dear God, a heroin overdose in his apartment. Such a horrible way to go out.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/philip-seymour-hoffman-found-dead-in-new-york-1.1676898

I really didn't think he'd be into drugs, I guess you can never tell, he really was one of the best actors of this generation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I really didn't think he'd be into drugs, I guess you can never tell, he really was one of the best actors of this generation

He looked far older than 46. Thats pretty telling to be fair.

Tinie wrote: »
    He looked far older than 46. Thats pretty telling to be fair.

I'm naïve :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Very sad news.

EdK wrote: »
    Got some for the Friday even though they appeared not to go through at first

4th date now added he may do a 5th too

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    4th date now added he may do a 5th too

320,000 people so far once those tickets on Thursday sell out. A fifth date would be ridiculously impressive - couldn't imagine anyone - maybe other than U2 doing that.

Deadlie wrote: »
    320,000 people so far once those tickets on Thursday sell out. A fifth date would be ridiculously impressive - couldn't imagine anyone - maybe other than U2 doing that.

Must have friends in low and high places :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Deadlie wrote: »

I really couldn't see U2 even coming close to selling out 4 dates in Croke Park, let alone in the time Garth Brooks did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Loughc wrote: »
    I really couldn't see U2 even coming close to selling out 4 dates in Croke Park, let alone in the time Garth Brooks did it.
    They sold out 3 in croke park in 2009. If U2 had similarly only played dublin once before and then came back 17 years later for a series of concerts they would certainly sell out 4 dates easy. I would also still say they would sell out 4 easily now.

The first 2 gigs of 2009 sold out in 40mins. There was only permission to do 3 gigs that year.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2009/0321/world/u2-croker-sell-out-sees-bono-breathe-sigh-of-relief-87397.html
    http://www.meg.ie/u2-third-final-dublin-date-confirmed/

I stand corrected! :):o

Yeah I hear there's a fair number of Yanks and British folk included in that number for Garth. First gig in years and he has a die hard fanbase - people would be more than happy to travel for him!

Totally unrelated, but I shot some photo stuff for Goldenplec last week and it'd be deadly if ye could check them out HERE. I am totally not doing this because I have a bet on with my mate to see who gets more views. Definitely not. I'm way above that. And with €20 quid in my pocket this weekend coming, I'll be even moreso above it.

Any tips for job interviews? Have never needed one before, it was always just hand in a CV and get told yes or no soon after. Have one on Thursday morning along with eight other people for two spots. Likely the least experienced of the lot so I'll need something to make up for it.

Look well, research the business and throw in whatever you know at some point when relevant, talk to people before your interview especially if they're up against you because a lot of times the selection process starts as soon as you enter the building. Try not to lie because I've heard stories from every job about how they caught somebody out even for stuff as simple as playing for a sports club.

All in all just have confidence. They've called you in for an interview so you've already done something right.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement

I still remember when I worked in the hospital hearing a surgeon talk about not wanting to hire a guy because his shoes weren't polished. I know that's basic stuff, but I go to interviews now with the shiniest shoes in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

You should do 80% of the talking. They'll step in when they've heard enough or you've satisfied them. They're there to hear about you, not vice versa. Don't leave vacant spaces of silence if you can help it. If they provide water, however, don't be afraid to pause and have a drink to refresh your throat and mind. Hope it works out for ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Towards the end of an interview, they usually ask you if you have any questions for them. So prepare for this, write down a few well thought out questions about the company, for example what the company's future goals or targets might be for 2014, etc. If you write down notes/question/cheat sheet, have it in a neat folder or binder, not a folded up piece of paper.

I took a girl from work out for a drink last week and had notes written on my wrist aka Dwayne Johnson last year, in case I was stuck for conversation topics. The lesson here is be prepared. You're almost cutting a promo here, selling yourself, try not stuttering or mumbling. Imagine the interviewer is Vince McMahon. Eye contact is important good too, a firm handshake, no limp-wrist, and good posture.

Google though, there is a ton of good advice out there.

Good luck dude, hope you nail it.

Any tips for job interviews? Have never needed one before, it was always just hand in a CV and get told yes or no soon after. Have one on Thursday morning along with eight other people for two spots. Likely the least experienced of the lot so I'll need something to make up for it.

Keep cool and calm and don't sweat :p

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

Couple of thoughts. Appologies if they've been repeated above.

1. Dress to impress. Suit, shirt, tie, clean shoes. Neat hair, no aftershave or perfume - use an odourless antiperspirant. Shirt tie combos - white shirt/ red tie; blue shirt/ yellow tie; light-blue shirt/ deep blue tie. I favour black or dark blue suits with black shoes.

2. Bring a copy of your CV (printed and stappled) for each member of the interview team and one for yourself. When in doubt, bring 3. Bring a copy of the job spec.

3. Research the company. They'll ask you what you know about them. Write down and memorise 6 - 10 points on their products, size (# employees, turnover, profit), markets that they compete in, major customers and competition. See if you can find out who the CEO or MD is and see if you can find any quotes attributed to him online. If possible find their mission statement and tie the role and how you will perform in it back to these. It's OK to bring this in written down (and to refer to it) but try to remember as much of these off the top of your head as possible though.

4. Have an answer to the question why you want to work there. Key answers: 1. The role in interesting and challenging. 2. The company is interesting because... 3. The industry that the company operates in is interesting because...

5. What will you bring to the role. Start on technical skills, qualifications (be brief because that's already on your CV) and move on to your personality - motivated, driven, detail orientated, business focused.

6. Have 2 - 3 questions for them.

7. Ask them the question "If offered the position, what would you see as my day to day tasks for the first 3 months" (assumption that this is a permanent role).... this helps the interviews picture you in the role.

8. Ask them about the major challenges. This will give you and idea of whether you're walking into a mess or something that you can succeed in.

9. Ask about how the role can grow in the future. Shows intentions to commit and ambition.

10. Do not ask about benefits, wages, holidays or company policies if this is the first interview (assuming 2 - 3 rounds). This will come either via the recruiter that you've been dealing with OR as part of the offer. Answer honestly but briefly if you are asked about wage expectations, give a realistic range based on your experience and the role (about €5k, e.g. €30k - 35k)

11. Always answer questions honestly. If you don't know, say that you don't know. If you haven't done something, say that you haven't. Try to point to something similar. If you can't, mention that this is an area of growth that you would like to work on, e.g. I haven't managed a team before and this role asks that I've managed 1 - 2 people, growth area.

12. Arrive 15 minutes early (sit in your car) and walk in with 5 minutes to spare. Ask for your contact at the reception. Say, "Hello, my name is gnfnrhead, and I have a 2pm meeting with Bob Smith."

13. Take the few minutes before the interview to calm yourself. Breath!

14. Always be polite. It's a pleasure to meet you... Thank you for your time. ETC.

15. Body language - open your body, (sit with your hands grasped, not crossed!!). Face people who talk to you. Look them in the eye when they talk to you. Don't hold a stare when talking. Look to each of the interviewers in turn as you talk. Let them finish their question. Don't jump in. Talk a second to ponder their question - it seems more natural then answering as they finish their question.

16. Examples of your work that are relevant to this role. Be it, projects that you've contributed to, challenges that you've over come (BTW - common question), etc.

17. Just keep calm. If you stumble on, pause and catch your train of thought.

I can't think of anything else just this second.

Best of luck. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

TheGts69 wrote: »

Doubt it. WOT is jumping up and down at that link.

Couple of thoughts. Appologies if they've been repeated above.
    Best of luck. ;)

... Without trying to be a moron here, all the above is great if you're applying for a mega-wage job with a unique or 'high-up' position on offer.

If you're applying for an everyday normal job (Homebase or Centra, for example), show up relatively neatly dressed and prepare to answer a series of inane abstract questions that will almost instantly make you lose the will to live, but throughout, maintain an upbeat attitude and be pleasant.

Start and end with a decent handshake and thank them for their time.

Researching companies and such is only important if you're expected to know that information in your job role. If you're looking to work as a deli assistant, then mentioning that you think it's great the company turned a million euro profit last year will probably just get you awkward stares and maybe a nervous laugh.

(In my opinion and experience, anyway!)

Good luck with the Interview Gnfnrhead.
    Don't bring up Wifey if you can manage it.

A bit late but best of luck with the interview tomorrow Gnfnrhead & hope the person interviewing ya looks like this

Photo_AJ_BlackSuit.jpg

:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Winter Olympics: Journalists arrive at hotels. Hilarity ensues.

>>Daily Mail collection of Tweets<<

GTR63 wrote: »
    A bit late but best of luck with the interview tomorrow Gnfnrhead & hope the person interviewing ya looks like this

http://wrestlingsuperstore.com/images/products/detail/Photo_AJ_BlackSuit.jpg

:D

Thankfully not, I wouldnt have gotten two words together! Pity she wasnt wearing that when I came home :pac:

Think it went well. I was there before the interviewer and it ended up going over the allocated time. Was told about 30 minutes, but it was closer to 45 and he was happy to keep going but I had nothing left to ask.

No retarded questions like "where do you see yourself in x years time?" I was expecting loads of them. It was all about the actual job and my previous experience.

Find out next week.

Best of luck dude, I hope it goes well for you! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Had problems with my broadband intermittently disconnecting, rang eircom, they had an engineer out the next day that fixed the connection issue and sorted out the line which increased my broadband to 5 times faster than it had been, they also then rang the nesxt day to endure everything was working ok. Not sure why I'm posting this, just feel I should put some good karma about eircom back onto the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

D.Q wrote: »
    Had problems with my broadband intermittently disconnecting, rang eircom, they had an engineer out the next day that fixed the connection issue and sorted out the line which increased my broadband to 5 times faster than it had been, they also then rang the nesxt day to endure everything was working ok. Not sure why I'm posting this, just feel I should put some good karma about eircom back onto the internet.

Eircom, while probably the dearest BB provider, are great with customer service. Always friendly and helpful and ultimatley sort any problems ive ever had that came up.

Im with Magnet now myself though and havent had a problem yet. Always had problems with UPC and BT, the BB line consistantly went down at the most important times.

Eircom are notoriously bad with customer service. I'm the only person I know that hasn't plotted to kill them at some stage. Depends on the people you speak to. Have had some lovely people but have had some downright arseholes too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement