Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic **This Thread Now Closed For Business**

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

As if klopp would you go to united. Van gaal is the realistic replacement.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I-Cant-Hear-Yoooou-88717299286.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

You're getting Steve Bruce and you'll like it young man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

You're getting Steve Bruce and you'll like it young man.

May need to throw out Moyes' old tracksuits now, I suspect he is so in awe of everything about Fergie he just wore his old ones instead.
    Jurgen Klopp? Lol. Next you'll be saying its your year :pac:

If Flah wasn't in Nam fighting a pointless war he'd be slating Liverpool so much they'd break down and end up in 3rd.

If Flah wasn't in Nam fighting a pointless war he'd be slating Liverpool so much they'd break down and end up in 3rd.

War of the Butt Hurt is already going on in the soccer forum the last two months. Just hope HBO don't make a series about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tssk

Hope they have sounded out a successor. There aren't a whole lot of viable,available options that I can think of at the moment apart from Van Gaal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's more than half the United team that need to go. Desperate load of dross. Does look like Moyes is gone though.

Neville's thoughts on MNF summed up my thoughts. It does go to show that what opposition fans used to say is true: if Fergie's first few years had happened in the modern era he wouldn't have lasted.

It's official now.

And I've never bought this arguement about Fergie and his start; Fergie had a far better CV to his name than Moyes. If, say, Jose or Pepe had come in and did this bad, I think people would have lived with it longer and thought "With his success, there's a larger problem".

With Moyes, he dragged us down and we've no reason to believe he can turn it around. Time =/= automatic improvement. He couldn't convince the players, couldn't convince the fans...and I guess couldn't convince the board. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

So who's odds on to replace Moyes??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    So who's odds on to replace Moyes??

Giggsy prob but that will only be temporarily you would imagine.

Odds dropping on Van Gaal, who seems to be the most likely.

Klopp second, but Ogden reporting he is happy at Dortmund.

Klopp is definitely off limits, his wikipedia page says he's contracted to Dortmund until June 2018.

Klopp is definitely off limits, his wikipedia page says he's contracted to Dortmund until June 2018.

Honestly don't see THAT being the problem; money can buy out a contract.

The bigger issue is Klopp seems content at Dortmund and doesn't want to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

Van Gaal was allegedly lined up for Spurs, but with United being his preferred English team. Looks like a shoe in so. United would want to get him asap if there really is 200m ready to be spent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yep I think he will stay their for another few years, yep United can throw money at him but its not as if he is working for free at the moment.

He knows he has age on his side and currently he in a job he clearly loves, United need a lot of surgery.

Off the top of my head

Past it

Rio
    Evra
    Carrick
    Fletcher

Not good enough

Nani
    Valencia
    Young
    Rafael .........so over rated.
    Cleverley,Cleverley and Cleverely.

not to sure about their young defenders either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

One problem solved with moyes gone, any newe manager has to clear out the crap now in relation to the players.

Young (Sh!te)
    Nani (biggest under performer of all time. Bags of talent that he cant use, and was given a new contract in sept :eek:)
    Rooney (massively over rated, should have been sold IMO)
    Cleverly (not a top player)
    Smalling (simply not good enough, looks liek a lost boy)
    Valencia (hasnt been good the last 2 seasons and needs to move on)
    Rio (past it)
    Vidic (hes already gone)
    Evra (past it and cant defend like he used to)
    Giggs (past it)
    Carrick (past it)
    Fletcher (as much as i like him, hes not teh player he was)
    Raphel (still hasnt improved much, needs to move on)
    Kagawa (hasnt gelled with teh team and has rarely shown the kind of form that made us buy him initially)
    Felliani ( has looked unfit since we bought him, looks out of his depth against the big teams.)
    Mata (wasnt needed to begin with and a total panic buy, good player but hasnt hit the form he should be. Hasnt gelled well IMO)

Realisticly Smalling,Rooney, Felliani, Carrick, Fletcher and Mata will be there next year.

Unless a total clear out is made, I can see United struggle again next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Anyone else watch the first episode of Fargo? Was unsure going in because I love the film, but this has more than delivered! If the first episode is anything to go by, this should be an excellent run.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    One problem solved with moyes gone, any newe manager has to clear out the crap now in relation to the players.

Young (Sh!te)
    Nani (biggest under performer of all time. Bags of talent that he cant use, and was given a new contract in sept :eek:)
    Rooney (massively over rated, should have been sold IMO)
    Cleverly (not a top player)
    Smalling (simply not good enough, looks liek a lost boy)
    Valencia (hasnt been good the last 2 seasons and needs to move on)
    Rio (past it)
    Vidic (hes already gone)
    Evra (past it and cant defend like he used to)
    Giggs (past it)
    Carrick (past it)
    Fletcher (as much as i like him, hes not teh player he was)
    Raphel (still hasnt improved much, needs to move on)
    Kagawa (hasnt gelled with teh team and has rarely shown the kind of form that made us buy him initially)
    Felliani ( has looked unfit since we bought him, looks out of his depth against the big teams.)
    Mata (wasnt needed to begin with and a total panic buy, good player but hasnt hit the form he should be. Hasnt gelled well IMO)

Realisticly Smalling,Rooney, Felliani, Carrick, Fletcher and Mata will be there next year.

Unless a total clear out is made, I can see United struggle again next year

I agree with your thoughts except on Mata. I think he's a magical player and he will come good in the long run imo.

The problem though, as you've illustrated, is that the majority of the squad are in need of an overhaul.

I think it will be at least two seasons before United can mount a title challenge. The goal for next season ought to be returning to the top four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Jeez that soccer forum would give ya a sore head at times. Baffles me how much of the same stuff is just regurgitated and everyone just argues! Impossible to actually discuss anything on the utd page.

• Advertisement

Anyone else watch the first episode of Fargo? Was unsure going in because I love the film, but this has more than delivered! If the first episode is anything to go by, this should be an excellent run.

I saw this advertised and forgot completely about it, is it just a series based on the film yeah?

It wouldn't take much to get these guys as title contenders. Arsenal were there abouts and they will be next season unless they make two great signings, Chelsea have a fairly dodgy centre-back partnership and City are still a long way off progressing to a level matching their spending.

Liverpool are an odd one though. Suarez aside they have gelled a lot in 12 months and even Hendersons and Sterlings are now title decisive factors. If they can make a few quality signings in the backs and decide what to do with Borini and Assaidi they could be in a similar position next season.

In fairness to Moyes he never got the chance to clearout the Cleverly types. The next in charge will and that's a massive advantage.

I think people are forgetting we still need squad players when there is talk of a clear out.. If we can get four top players that can settle straight away-asking a lot,United would definitely finish top 4

As an aside,and this is pie in the sky stuff here,if someone offered 25-30 million for Rooney I'd snap their hand off

Whoever comes in after Moyes, I hope he gets rid of Tom Cleverley, also whoever leaked that Moyes was going to get the chop should also be ashamed of themselves, stuff like that SHOULDN'T be leaked to the media whatsoever.

Yep it was poor form alright,the fella is getting the chop anyways-the whole world didn't need to know before it was made official

Meh, there's little secrets nowadays in the modern age of technology. Fergie's retirement was known about 12 hours before it was announced. It was known for days that Moyes was manager before it was confirmed. Transfer rumours are often banded about for days, weeks or months before they come through.

That's life nowadays.

Whoever comes in after Moyes, I hope he gets rid of Tom Cleverley, also whoever leaked that Moyes was going to get the chop should also be ashamed of themselves, stuff like that SHOULDN'T be leaked to the media whatsoever.

It was well planned I'd say.....2.15 on the dot yesterday and 3 of the main utd journos break the story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

very strange coincidence

Moyes' reign was 295 days, exact same as AJ Lee.

It wouldn't take much to get these guys as title contenders. Arsenal were there abouts and they will be next season unless they make two great signings, Chelsea have a fairly dodgy centre-back partnership and City are still a long way off progressing to a level matching their spending.

Liverpool are an odd one though. Suarez aside they have gelled a lot in 12 months and even Hendersons and Sterlings are now title decisive factors. If they can make a few quality signings in the backs and decide what to do with Borini and Assaidi they could be in a similar position next season.

In fairness to Moyes he never got the chance to clearout the Cleverly types. The next in charge will and that's a massive advantage.

Liverpool will need a squad next season with Champ League. We have succeeded this season with a squad of about 15 players that have actually contributed. City and Chelsea are two nailed on to finish in the top 4 next year, Arsenal and Spurs will look to strengthen too. Problems occur to Utd that they need to get rid of players, nail it in the transfer market and get a top manager too. All without Champions League and those 3 things rarely happen easily much less over one year.

Honestly don't see THAT being the problem; money can buy out a contract.

The bigger issue is Klopp seems content at Dortmund and doesn't want to leave.

I think Klopp is very unlikely, money of course would be tempting but it would be naive to think other clubs have not had a look and offered him silly money, he seems happy at Dortmund and its not as if he is at Dortmund for free.

He also knows he is young and once contract is over he will be able to command an absolute monster salary.

Van Gaal will be a good short term option for a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I saw this advertised and forgot completely about it, is it just a series based on the film yeah?

No it's a completely separate story which claims to be a true story from 2006. The Coen brothers are executive producers on it so it has a similar black comedy element to it. I loved it, Billy Bob Thornton is a hero and Martin Freeman is a fantastic actor.

Mourinho from a few months ago.

If Chelsea get through fair play, but hypocrite much?:confused:
    Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho accused West Ham of playing "football from the 19th century" after being left frustrated by a goalless draw at Stamford Bridge.

The Blues fell three points behind new Barclays Premier League leaders Manchester City, who beat West Ham 9-0 in the two-legged Capital One Cup semi-final, after a resolute display from Sam Allardyce's men.

Mourinho outlined his unhappiness with the Hammers' tactics afterwards.

The self-proclaimed 'Special One' said: "It's very difficult to play a football match where only one team wants to play. It's very difficult.

"This is not the best league in the world, this is football from the 19th century."

"A football match is about two teams playing and this match was only one team playing and another team not playing.

"I told Big Sam and I repeat my words: they need points and, because they need points, to come here and play the way they did, is it acceptable? Maybe, yes.

"I cannot be too critical, because if I was in his position I don't know if I would do the same. Maybe.

"At the same time I told him also this is not Premier League, this is not the best league in the world, this is football from the 19th century."

Chelsea tried everything to unlock the Hammers' defence and when they did they found goalkeeper Adrian in supreme form.

Mourinho added: "The only (other) thing I could bring was a Black and Decker (tool) to destroy the wall."

The Blues had 39 shots but could still not find a way past a heroic West Ham who finished the game with 10 men following a shoulder injury to Joey O'Brien which could see him out of action for up to three months.

After Chelsea's match with West Ham finished 0-0, Jose Mourinho was critical of Sam Allardyce's side
    Mourinho was also left frustrated by what he viewed as the Hammers' time wasting tactics and could not understand why only four extra minutes were added on.

"They wasted two minutes every time they kicked off and the referee gives the wrong message when he gives just four minutes but it is what it is."

Mourinho pointed to aimless long balls to illustrate his point, which he had made to Hammers boss Allardyce after the game.

"He was laughing," Mourinho added. "His objective was won: come here and take a point. It was not to come here and play good football or to try to win or to feel part of the quality of the Premier League.

"He takes the point. After that he's a happy man and I'm a sad guy."

Mourinho refused to criticise his players, who could have done with someone of the guile of Juan Mata, now at Manchester United.

"With my players, I'm happy," Mourinho said.

Sam Allardyce praises his West Ham side after they left Stamford Bridge with a point after drawing 0-0.
    "My team tried everything. Their goalkeeper saved a lot, but they also had other players without gloves who saved a lot.

"They played with five defenders; they looked more goalkeepers than defenders."

It's genuinely sad to see how the life was sucked out of him at Real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Great day. :D

Great day. :D

If United would get round to confirming Van gaal, it would be our best weekend in months :P

Liverpool fans aren't taking the slagging very well. Reminiscent of United fans not taking a similar slagging a few months back.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Liverpool fans aren't taking the slagging very well. Reminiscent of United fans not taking a similar slagging a few months back.
    On my facebook feed it's like a competition to see who can act more childish, the Liverpool fans, the Chelsea fans, or the United fans.

Find it funny how some Pool fans are losing their **** about getting slagged off in the exact same manner they've slagged off United fans for 20 years :P

Same. Dunno if there's a brain between them on mine though made even worse by Munster losing.

• Advertisement

I think City will find it tough at Everton though. I don't think they have a great record there. I remember Gibson getting a winner at Goodison a few years back and I think Jelavic got the winner last year too? Wouldn't surprise me if City make a mess of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

As an Everton fan and depending on Arsenal tomorrow I would have no problem with us losing at home to City If we are 4 behind Arsenal at ko and Arsenal with 2 easy games left

Just thought Id post this here mainly because Im delighted, but in 6 months time there will be a mini Beakerjoe / Beaker-josephine in the world! :) My first baby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Just thought Id post this here mainly because Im delighted, but in 6 months time there will be a mini Beakerjoe / Beaker-josephine in the world! :) My first baby

Congrats Beakerjoe :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Congrats

Beakerbeag? Beakerjunior? All names that will prevent cyberbullaíocht.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Congrats mate! That's brilliant

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Congrats Beakerman

around 10years from now you will have a new excuse to watch WWE

Congrats Beakerman

around 10years from now you will have a new excuse to watch WWE

Hahahaha Is it wrong that Im thinking about how to juggle night feeds with the draft in January ???:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Congrats dude!

All the late nights sitting up watching wrasslin are now just classed as practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

Congrats!

If nothing else, you've an excuse to watch Slam City now. :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement