Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic **This Thread Now Closed For Business**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Venturing onto non-PW forums on boards I'm periodically reminded that people are MUCH snarkier and sometimes post to immediately disagree with what you say. Without sounding soppy I'm extremely grateful for our community here, to be able to chat about PW, TV, you name it! :)

100% agree, there are times when I go to post in other sections and think "Why bother?" due to the hostile or elitist attitude of certain sections of the website when it comes to their hobbies and interests. At least here I can show my support for Head Cheese over LOD and not worry about it being **** all over :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,381 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Stop Brie and Bryan are next to honeymoon there :p also what is their combined couple name or do they not have one yet

Wouldn't it be "Brie" or "Bryan"? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Couldn't see it mentioned elsewhere, but thought JR was fairly poor on the Golden Boy event. Far too much 'story telling' (seemed very out of place) and very little calling of the action.

Is he even a big boxing fan? I wouldn't have thought so from watching that.

Anybody else watch it?

I like JR too.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Anyone think Mauricio Pochettinno will last the duration of his 5 year contract with Tottenham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'd be shocked if he lasts a full season. Spurs finishing outside the Top 4 will be sack-worthy to Levy unless he can string a superb Europa League run.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Thinking of going to the states for holidays this year, outside of New York (been there twice) where would people recommend?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Loughc wrote: »
    Thinking of going to the states for holidays this year, outside of New York (been there twice) where would people recommend?

San Diego was lovely. Also Arizona too.

What are you looking for? Theme parks, culture, history, popular tourist spots, nightlife etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Tinie wrote: »

What are you looking for? Theme parks, culture, history, popular tourist spots, nightlife etc.

Going with the gf so usual touristy thing. Want to have plenty to do during the day and good nightlife with restaurants and bars.

When we went to Barcelona a few years ago didn't plan much before we went and we ended up doing a couple of touristy things before doing a cycle of pubs and hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Tinie wrote: »

Arizona seconded,Sedona is a lovely spot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I know this will come across as arse kissing and I swear it isn't. Well, not totally ;)

But I do believe this is one of the best moderated forums I've ever been on, and that the community on here is fantastic. I've been part of many forums over the years, wrestling related and not, other sections of boards.ie included, and they nearly always are full of trolls, joke accounts, bickering idiots and the likes. And it's not that the mods in other sites are bad; I've befriended many and it's a tireless, difficult job. And a hard one.

So I always appreciate the fact that for the most part, this particular board isn't full of those sorts of people. This place, this specific subsection of this site, is a real bastion of friendliness for me, a place I know I can retreat to when I have to deal with life and just know it's 100% safe.

So yeah. Thanks mods and posters. Thank you :)

You weren't here for all the really crazy sh!t, were you? :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

orestes wrote: »
    You weren't here for all the really crazy sh!t, were you? :pac:

I remember seeing some of that being discussed here before, good times :D

It was basically The Troubles but I got bricked in the face by the same soldier on my walk to school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

WOOO HOOO I got a thread title shout out!

I feel so loved! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,381 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It's not you. It's Grames_bond with a capital G.

Happy birthday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Happy birthday Grames!

Happy Birthday Mr. Bond

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Happy birthday Grames_bond.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

This is amazing.

And a different angle via Vine

https://vine.co/v/Md05wIQLxHV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

What are your favourite music artists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

mxph3 wrote: »
    What are your favourite music artists?

Favourite of all time is Metallica, grew up learning a lot of their stuff on bass. I'm huge on deadmau5, probably the only artist I listen to anymore. Those two would be my main music sources even though the music is quite different. Like a lot of people I listen to anything and like anything, Justice, Daft Punk, Muse etc...and anything off the Vice City soundtrack, mostly Flash FM. :cool:

Hurling is going to induce a massive heart-attack at some stage. Best sport in the world by far.

Anyone ever run Lets Play videos?

Always been tempted to do some and have an idea (though it's not hugely original) but always self-conscious about my ability to produce a video people would actually watch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Closest I've done is when my mate got his PS4 we decided to try out the twitch stream/microphone that comes with it, chatting for 4 hours and was generally sh*** at whatever games we were playing. Was good fun! If you're self-conscious then perhaps play through a game you're already good at. Or have a 2nd person beside you that can chat so you can concentrate!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Hurling is going to induce a massive heart-attack at some stage. Best sport in the world by far.
    Who was playing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

Would non gaa people say that though? Not trying to cause trouble

Angron wrote: »
    Who was playing?
    Galway barely beat Laois. Galway were AI finalists nearly two years ago and Laois had been a slow rising county. Limerick beat Tipp which was a shock despite them winning Munster last year.
    cena wrote: »
    Would non gaa people say that though? Not trying to cause trouble
    You mean people who don't watch hurling might not think it's the most exciting sport in world?

I'm watching the Sunday Game at the moment, the Tipp v Limerick game was quite exciting. Dunno if I've missed Galway Laois, or if it's been shown yet.

Angron wrote: »
    I'm watching the Sunday Game at the moment, the Tipp v Limerick game was quite exciting. Dunno if I've missed Galway Laois, or if it's been shown yet.
    No it's coming up and I was the same. Weird to go Hurling to football and back to hurling again.

Yeah, when I saw them showing Antrim v Fermanagh I felt sure I'd missed a part of the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,980 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

WOOO HOOO I got a thread title shout out!

I feel so loved! :D

Happy Belated Birthday

Galway barely beat Laois. Galway were AI finalists nearly two years ago and Laois had been a slow rising county. Limerick beat Tipp which was a shock despite them winning Munster last year.

You mean people who don't watch hurling might not think it's the most exciting sport in world?

No just none gaa people in general.

I know people who are GAA heads who prefer football to hurling. It's all personal preference and what you consider exciting really. For me it's frequent scores and how quickly games can change in momentum. For some people it might be crowd involvement and build-up and others it might be physicality and breaking down defences.

I know people who are GAA heads who prefer football to hurling. It's all personal preference and what you consider exciting really. For me it's frequent scores and how quickly games can change in momentum. For some people it might be crowd involvement and build-up and others it might be physicality and breaking down defences.

I am not a gaa kind of person, I can't watch any matches at all just doesn't do it for my.

I don't mind helping out in the underage training the kids. I had to drop out of the hurling club simply cause I was been pushed away from the team I have been training for the last 6 years since they started.

Anyone got any predictions as to who will win the 2014 FIFA WORLD CUP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,065 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Anyone got any predictions as to who will win the 2014 FIFA WORLD CUP

Spain have the strongest squad imo. Hard to look past them. Belgium are my dark horse

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Spain have the strongest squad imo. Hard to look past them. Belgium are my dark horse

Spain would be favourites seeing as they are the defending champions, but Brazil could be in with a shout seeing as the tournament is on home soil, could be Germany's year.. In short i'm backing either Spain, Brazil or Germany to win.

Everyone i've talked to the last week seem to have Belgium as the team to ruffle a few feathers during the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,065 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Spain would be favourites seeing as they are the defending champions, but Brazil could be in with a shout seeing as the tournament is on home soil, could be Germany's year.. In short i'm backing either Spain, Brazil or Germany to win.

Everyone i've talked to the last week seem to have Belgium as the team to ruffle a few feathers during the tournament.

Spain are only 4th favourites due to it being held in Brazil but the heat shouldn't affect Spains style of play. If having a bet on Spain shop around and you might get better than 13/2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Brazil/Argentina I'd say, European sides could struggle in the heat. You can get very good odds on Spain atm.

Brazil will choke under expectation and Argentina will lose in the Quarters as per usual. Kinda hope England do well. No expectation, lot of belief they'll miss out on qualifying from their group, decent side and I like Hodgson. Can't see anybody but Spain/Germany/Italy winning, and even then there's a big gap between Spain and the rest.

• Advertisement

I really don't want Spain to win. Wouldn't mind seeing Brazil or Argentina win it.

I would love to see England win it for the 2nd time.

Anyone gone through an endoscopy before? As a precaution, my doc wants to shove a tube down my throat and it doesn't sound fun :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,980 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anyone gone through an endoscopy before? As a precaution, my doc wants to shove a tube down my throat and it doesn't sound fun :(

It sounds quite sore so good luck

I've had a tube stuck down my throat for a scan (wasn't a stomach thing though) The technician/nurse/doctor sprayed my throat with a local to numb my gag reflex and I think I was sedated for no more than 10mins. It still felt horrible at first going in but can't remember much else. My throat felt sore and a bit raw for a few hours after like I'd smoked 100 cigarettes.

Good luck and it may help to voice your concerns to whomever is doing the test.

cena wrote: »
    I would love to see England win it for the 2nd time.

They've won it already? You think they would have mentioned it by now. ;)

Hard to believe that was almost 50 years ago!

Brazil are my favourites to win it this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

I used to be a nurse and I worked in the endoscopy unit for a while. Normally you're off your bin by the time you get to the scope part, so youre awake, but 99% of people don't remember a thing. The worst thing is the fasting. Its literally nothing before it, not even water if you're surgeon is strict. We used to have to reschedule appts because there was too much water in the way of the camera.

You'll get tea and toast after, but you can't drive for the rest of the day, so you'll need to organise a lift home.

80% of cases are minor ailments, or this little pyloric sphincter bug thing which causes heartburn which they'll give you two antibiotics and an ace inhibitor for. You should be grand! Good luck all the same!

Deadlie wrote: »
    I used to be a nurse and I worked in the endoscopy unit for a while. Normally you're off your bin by the time you get to the scope part, so youre awake, but 99% of people don't remember a thing. The worst thing is the fasting. Its literally nothing before it, not even water if you're surgeon is strict. We used to have to reschedule appts because there was too much water in the way of the camera.

You'll get tea and toast after, but you can't drive for the rest of the day, so you'll need to organise a lift home.

80% of cases are minor ailments, or this little pyloric sphincter bug thing which causes heartburn which they'll give you two antibiotics and an ace inhibitor for. You should be grand! Good luck all the same!

Yeah, the Doc said I shouldn't remember a thing. He's more sending me for one as a precaution, and also because he doesn't have a clue whats wrong with me; I've been having problems swallowing and he said it could be anything from me being an idiot and forgetting how to chew all the way up to "The Big C" (which didn't thrill me when he brought that one up, obviously :rolleyes:)

Don't mind the fasting bit too much, since I have a morning appointment and thus just skip breakfast. Out of interest, how long does the average "memory lapse" last for? Am I losing a few minutes, hours, the whole day?

Yeah, the Doc said I shouldn't remember a thing. He's more sending me for one as a precaution, and also because he doesn't have a clue whats wrong with me; I've been having problems swallowing and he said it could be anything from me being an idiot and forgetting how to chew all the way up to "The Big C" (which didn't thrill me when he brought that one up, obviously :rolleyes:)

Don't mind the fasting bit too much, since I have a morning appointment and thus just skip breakfast. Out of interest, how long does the average "memory lapse" last for? Am I losing a few minutes, hours, the whole day?

My thing was about 10minutes. I have no memory of about 9minutes and 55seconds of that. After it was over I felt a bit drunk/woozy for a half hour or so but normal memory resumed as soon as the test was over.

It varies depending on how sedated you are. You could lose and hour or two and sleep it off in the day ward before going home. I've been under heavy general anaesthetics where I lost a solid 24-36+hours.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

What's with the thread title?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement