Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic **This Thread Now Closed For Business**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Bombidol was a sound lad - shame to see him go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

I was around in a different guise when Bombidol was active. Best wishes to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I just opened this thread to post an RIP about Rik Mayall cos of the threat title, and Bombidol has disappeared? Dang.

I wasn't around when he was really active but we spoke a bit during my time as a mod here and he seemed like a very nice bloke. Best of luck in your future endeavors sir o>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

orestes wrote: »
    I just opened this thread to post an RIP about Rik Mayall cos of the threat title, and Bombidol has disappeared? Dang.

I wasn't around when he was really active but we spoke a bit during my time as a mod here and he seemed like a very nice bloke. Best of luck in your future endeavors sir o>

BombIdol has gone.....
    Waltersobchek has gone.....

whos next..... these things usually come in threes

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

eh i dunno wrote: »
    have had experience with both. Harvey Norman seem to have a much better choice and seem open to a small bit of haggling over price. Pc world just want you to buy extra insurance and warranty's. Shop around though
    Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I 2nd what Eh i don't know said, Harvey Norman are open to haggling depending on whoever helps ya out when ya don't know what you're looking for, PC World just seem to wanna sell extra insurance & warranty's first, and the laptop 2nd

Yea was having a look at Argos aswell last night . Tbh im just stuck cause there are so many different options to get.

Harvey Norman are actually charging €99 for 2 year product cover but dont no about PC World they dont seem to have that option when you looking at each product.

Do people recommend any brand of laptop?

Yea was having a look at Argos aswell last night . Tbh im just stuck cause there are so many different options to get.

Harvey Norman are actually charging €99 for 2 year product cover but dont no about PC World they dont seem to have that option when you looking at each product.

Do people recommend any brand of laptop?

I got a Linovo one last year from HN on someones recommendation. So far its been great, granted I probably dont use it to its full potential, I just download movies and play football manager as well as the network but all run smoothly

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I got a Linovo one last year from HN on someones recommendation. So far its been great, granted I probably dont use it to its full potential, I just download movies and play football manager as well as the network but all run smoothly

Cool well all im gonna be using mine for is downloading music or college work etc

Cool well all im gonna be using mine for is downloading music or college work etc

I like my Linovo one and its never caused me an ounce of trouble, grand for downloading and streaming and Boards Draft College work

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Anyone catch the highlights of Portugal's game against Ireland

• Advertisement

Just caught Nani and his disallowed goal. Hopefully he can bring that **** to Man U next year

Just caught Nani and his disallowed goal. Hopefully he can bring that **** to Man U next year

The Nani that showed up for Portugal last night :eek:, why can't he be that good at Man United instead of being great one week, then ****e the next

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

The Nani that showed up for Portugal last night :eek:, why can't he be that good at Man United instead of being great one week, then ****e the next

As he's not up against a championship level defence who couldn't give a shíte and wanted to be on a beach when he plays in the premier league.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

On the topic of Bombidol... found this

http://www.thebombshelter.2ya.com/

think it was his prior to him getting the PW forum going. Jaysus seing him go makes me feel old though to think I was on boards a year before the lad

and yeah said something about him elsewhere and in the BWE but Walt is a loss and not only for his great WECWF write ups in the draft, top poster and a shame he closed his account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Woah, blast from the past! I'll check that out on Netscape Navigator :) Very cool. By the way - Oh my God it's "Bomb-idol" not "Bombi-dol" as I've been pronouncing in my head since being on boards :o His username always reminded me of Killer Instinct's Eyedol

kiboss-1.png

I'll hand in my moderator sash and badge

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Woah, blast from the past! I'll check that out on Netscape Navigator :) Very cool. By the way - Oh my God it's "Bomb-idol" not "Bombi-dol" as I've been pronouncing in my head since being on boards :o His username always reminded me of Killer Instinct's Eyedol

kiboss-1.png

I'll hand in my moderator sash and badge

tbh I always thought of it a bombi-dol as well and cos of him I always thought of the character from LOTR (the books don't think he was in the movies) as Bombidol and not Bombadil, but if you look back at his original posts he used to sign off with the word bomb so def Bomb-idol

• Advertisement

I assume this Bomb-Idol was a sound guy

I assume this Bomb-Idol was a sound guy

probably depends on who you speak to atm considering how he left boards (wont go into it... mentioned it a bit on the podcast...) but he was responsible iirc for setting up the PW forum so we like the chap here, hence he was a mod here for the past few years even though he had stopped posting here. As of yesterday or the day before though his name is gone from the bottom of the forum and we are left with the 3 mods many probably thought were the only mods anyway.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-E1-572-15-6-inch-Laptop/dp/B00HNQX98E

Sorry for hijacking about my laptop needs. But any PW techies think this would be a decent laptop for college work/downloading music etc

Well it is an Off Topic thread, so not sure why you're worried about hijacking :pac:

It's decent enough for college work/downloading - even though i personally have no clue about laptops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Didn't know walt closed his account. Nice guy and an excellent poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-E1-572-15-6-inch-Laptop/dp/B00HNQX98E Sorry for hijacking about my laptop needs. But any PW techies think this would be a decent laptop for college work/downloading music etc

For college work & downloading it'll do the trick alright. It has a lot of positive reviews as well.

So here it is: Acer Aspire E1-572 (€614)
    15.6" 768p, 1.8GHz i7 processor, 8GB memory, 1000GB HDD, DVD Drive, Integrated Graphics (?), Win 8 operating.
    Had a look around other laptops for comparison.

Had a look around on HWVS for comparison. Shipping from Germany is 30 quid flat rate. It's where I got my PC from.

HWVS has a Acer Aspire E1-772G-54208G50Mnsk (€550)
    17.3" 900p, 3.1GHz i5 processor, 8GB memory, 500GB HDD, DVD Drive, GeForce GT820M 2GB Graphics card. LINUX operating.
    If you have a copy of windows I'd recommend getting this and installing Win when you get it. Only downfall is the 500GB HDD. With a laptop I'd recommend a 2TB external (depending on what your needs are!)
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?adp=0&aid=142186&agid=729&apop=0

MSI CR70-i545W7 (€600)
    17.3" 900p, 3.2GHz i5 processor, 4GB memory, 500GB HDD, DVD Drive, Intel Graphics 4600 Graphics Card. Win7 operating.
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?adp=0&aid=167332&agid=729&apop=0

In any case the one you chose will do fine for what you described. If you wanted more advice on best value I'd throw up a thread on the laptop forum

First game of the 2014 FIFA World Cup, Brazil/Croatia..... Predictions?

Cheers guys for the help , I actually realised that i might be using things like photoshop this coming year in college.

First game of the 2014 FIFA World Cup, Brazil/Croatia..... Predictions?

Croatia to park the bus and Brazil to run out of ideas fast. 0-0

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Brazil to maul Croatia 6-0

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

there is nothing that makes me cringe more than people on this site referring to "AH" as if it is some sort of lawless, anything goes, last frontier of the internet. In reality, its just people attempting to reduce any imaginable topic to a humorless quip about the banks or the government.

D.Q wrote: »
    there is nothing that makes me cringe more than people on this site referring to "AH" as if it is some sort of lawless, anything goes, last frontier of the internet. In reality, its just people attempting to reduce any imaginable topic to a humorless quip about the banks or the government.

That's AH in a nutshell.

Chelsea have secured their first major summer signing

10304499_681950545193292_8575422554053735152_n.jpg

http://news.sky.com/story/1281031/rik-mayall-died-of-heart-event-after-run
    Earlier, West London Coroner's Court said a post-mortem examination into Mayall's death had been inconclusive and more tests were being carried out in an attempt to determine how the star died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

WHY DIDN'T WE BUY CESC??, FUWOODWARD&LVG

This is going to a frustrating summer. :(

• Advertisement

WHY DIDN'T WE BUY CESC??, FUWOODWARD&LVG

This is going to a frustrating summer. :(

I don't think United were interested in Fabregas? Were they? have faith man, Van Gaal knows what he's doing (But if Woodward screws up this summer, then he has to follow Moyes out the door)

I don't think United were interested in Fabregas? Were they? have faith man, Van Gaal knows what he's doing (But if Woodward screws up this summer, then he has to follow Moyes out the door)

Apparently so but I still find it hard to believe we looked at him and didn't go for him, especially when looking our options at the moment.

But hey, at least its the start of the World Cup :D

Apparently so but I still find it hard to believe we looked at him and didn't go for him, especially when looking our options at the moment.

But hey, at least its the start of the World Cup :D

True..... So much for De Gea trying to persuade Fabregas to sign for United :pac: (Similar to the Thiago fiasco was it last summer), aye a month of cracking football ahead.

Whos to seay United didnt go for Cesc and he chose Chelsea because he knows London well and they have Champions Lge football to offer.

Ironic how Fabregas said this in 2010, but 4 years later :pac:

1528564_242448415955515_2179821330904894606_n.jpg

10304499_681950545193292_8575422554053735152_n.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Whos to seay United didnt go for Cesc and he chose Chelsea because he knows London well and they have Champions Lge football to offer.

I'd say this is what happened, but the PR department (sensing it was coming) got out in front of it and spread the "We aren't interested" stories, making it look like we turned him down. Like the guy knowing he's about to get dumped so dumps her first :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Bit of a knob penalty that, poor keeping though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

How much is that keeper getting paid

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Brazil very lucky to get that win. Croat keeper mistake for all three goals.

• Advertisement

Good aul Bill going after Japan.

Gutted for Croatia, they didn't deserve to lose that. Put 10 quid on Spain to win the WC and got a 5 free bet for todays game, Neymar anytime. :cool:

What are peoples bets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Gutted for Croatia, they didn't deserve to lose that. Put 10 quid on Spain to win the WC and got a 5 free bet for todays game, Neymar anytime. :cool:

What are peoples bets?

Germany to win for me. Dont think Spain will do it again while Brazil werent very impressive tonight. Think Argentina are the only other real option.

Also, fuck Fabregas.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I can't see Germany pulling it off tbh, and I really don't want Spain to win. I'm still guardedly thinking Brazil to win, or Argentina.

Brazil were lucky.......

And i'm guessing that gnfnrhead is an Arsenal supporter judging by this
    Also, **** Fabregas.

Don't see this big Argentina revival that seemingly everybody else is. Have Spain down to win. They're at ridiculously long odds considering they're the holders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Viva la Raza!

As it seems we have a few in here who know about computers any Idea why my computer suddenly started doing this?

ewUXYW8.png

Don't think I've installed anything new at least not before I was trying to fix this but now suddenly my libaries folders have turned into blank libary-ms files be they Documents, music, videos or Pictures and when clicked on they are non responsive. They are also like this in the start menu as can be seen in the screen grab.

I can access my files if I go a big round about way each time i.e through my computer - C drive - users - toshiba - my documents... etc

I read online that I should just delete the files and then right click on the libaries folder on the left and choose restore default libaries but it just restores them exactly as they were before the delete as the non responsive folders from the screengrab.

Really confused whats going on and why? I'll probably be able to sort it as even though im no ace on computers ill stumble about with google searches etc until I can find a solution but if anyone knows itd be great

NEW SLASH SONG

btw Incase any of you don't have access to the Soccer forum but would like to post there access is not required during the WC

also wondering if anyone could point me towards to forum I should probably have posted my above post. Off topic is my default for something like miscellaneous in many situations but im sure there is a board for such queries, we have a mustard board afterall

Is it your computer or laptop that's gone haywire?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement