Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic **This Thread Now Closed For Business**

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Today in America, I went to see Spiderman which got a round of applause at the end, and then I went to the local gun shop :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Today in America, I went to see Spiderman which got a round of applause at the end, and then I went to the local gun shop :D

What are the prices like?
    I went to see Spdrmn (as the cool kids are calling it) and thought it was fantastic. Cant see why they would have given it a round of applause though. :confused:

Yanks! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Thats just Great. These people are still coming to the cinema. Really want to see Prometheus, Amazing Spiderman and Dark Knight Rises but whenever I go these sappy husks of human beings turn up and seem to unintentionally ruin it for someone who wants to go watch a film in relative silence and not laugh like a clown or be asked about the plot or this clapping which happened 3 f*cking times in Return of the King.

CMpunked wrote: »
    What are the prices like?
    I went to see Spdrmn (as the cool kids are calling it) and thought it was fantastic. Cant see why they would have given it a round of applause though. :confused:

Yanks! :pac:

Guns are crazy cheap, but then most things are. We just had 4 steak dinners with drinks and deserts for about 50 Euros. Its great :P

As for Spiderman, I adored it. And am now compeltly in love with Emma Stone :pac: As for the applause, I think it's just what happens over here at the end of movies. When I went to see TDKR a few years back, there was a 3 minute standing applause....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

And am now compeltly in love with Emma Stone :pac:

NoddingNicholson.gif
    Mmmmmm Hmmmm!

Wow, she's only 24? And Garfield is 28? I would have guessed the other way round tbh.

I actually LOL'd when she said "I'm 17" in the film :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Saw 'Killer Joe' in the almost empty IFI today,was very good in a slightly disturbing sort of way,highly recommend it.

Juno Temple also gets her kit off on it which is another selling point.

When I went to see TDKR a few years back, there was a 3 minute standing applause....

Wait stall the ball is that any good compared to Batman Begins, Dark Knight and of course the peak of the franchise the 1966 EPIC Batman (with West and Ward of course).
    I agree with Emma Stone BUT I found her more attractive with Red Hair strangely enough Go Figure...

I'm going to out myself a bit here; I prefer the old Batman films to the newer ones. I know there'll be people who think I'm nuts, but I grew up with the older ones and they were my first Comic Book films. George Clooney will always be Batman to me :P

As for red-head Stone....she looks way older in the pictures I've seen of her with red hair. Like mid-30s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I have yet to fully see The Dark Knight. Went to see it in the cinema in NY at the time with the girlfriend but fell asleep half way through and haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

• Advertisement

I'm going to out myself a bit here; I prefer the old Batman films to the newer ones. I know there'll be people who think I'm nuts, but I grew up with the older ones and they were my first Comic Book films. George Clooney will always be Batman to me :P

Awww Clooney bit balls tbh. Now Keaton was underrated, if a wee bit too old. But Kevin Conroy IS Batman for me he nailed the Bruce/Batman voice perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

As for the applause, I think it's just what happens over here at the end of movies. When I went to see TDKR a few years back, there was a 3 minute standing applause....

you saw the new movie years before it was made?! wow you must be magic!! :pac:
    GTR63 wrote: »
    Awww Clooney bit balls tbh. Now Keaton was underrated, if a wee bit too old. But Kevin Conroy IS Batman for me he nailed the Bruce/Batman voice perfectly.

I agree with this - conroy and Hamill are THE Batman and Joker for me!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

I agree with this - conroy and Hamill are THE Batman and Joker for me!!
    No way. Ledger is the most intimidating and interesting Joker of the lot, no one even comes close to him. The voice, the way he moved and acted, the guy was incredible in the TDK. He took the joker character from a joke/silly character to an actual intimidating villain. Those scenes where he screamed and shouted were insane in the cinema, the guy was an acting genius. Reading up on what he did to prepare for the joker character makes it even more impressive also.

Im pretty sure I read a recent interview from nicholson where he even admits that Ledger played the joker the best out of all the actors.

He took it from this goofy villian:
    joker.jpg

to this creepy ass, epic villain:

joker-batman-dark-knight.jpg

Also there's no doubt that Bale is one of the best, if not the best batmans in the franchise so far. Im normally one for the whole "remakes aren't better" or the whole "the older one is better" argument, but I can admit that Nolans Batmans are head and shoulders above the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,980 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Saw 'Killer Joe' in the almost empty IFI today,was very good in a slightly disturbing sort of way,highly recommend it.

Juno Temple also gets her kit off on it which is another selling point.

Did you go for KFC afterwards :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Tinie wrote: »
    No way. Ledger is the most intimidating and interesting Joker of the lot, no one even comes close to him. The voice, the way he moved and acted, the guy was incredible in the TDK. He took the joker character from a joke/silly character to an actual intimidating villain. Those scenes where he screamed and shouted were insane in the cinema, the guy was an acting genius. Reading up on what he did to prepare for the joker character makes it even more impressive also.

completely agree, such a shame he can't return. Stole every scene he was in, incredible charisma.

I really liked Michael Keaton as Batman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Oh don't get me wrong Tinie I f*cking loved Ledger as the joker - thought he did an outstanding job at representing him as a total and utter psycho!

However I just think that Hamill's joker (animated series and the new Arkham games) was just the all round joker - and I'll freely admit to looking at this with some (water spraying) rose tinted glasses, as that is the joker I grew up with, and watched and learned about the character through. Hamill was able to show a greater range as he played the joker for longer and really had the joker down imo! The laugh, the tonality, the jokes, I just thought he was perfect......as was Ledger in a different way!

Love them both but I just think that for me, Hamill just edges it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Wish I could say it is great to be back. I really do :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

gimmick wrote: »
    Wish I could say it is great to be back. I really do :(

Where did you go for he honeymoon? Your in cork aint ya, any flood damage?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Tickets came today!! Pretty impressed by ticketmaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Dancor wrote: »
    Where did you go for he honeymoon? Your in cork aint ya, any flood damage?

Jamaica and Miami. It was pretty incredible. Jamiaca moreso than Miami.

No flood damage in my area thank god. We are fairly high up so were never in danger. Some really bad cases around though :(

Tickets came today!! Pretty impressed by ticketmaster.

You have to break the conformity and run on to the pitch if we win.
    Renewed my Dogs Licence earlier €20 quite a lot if you ask me.

GTR63 wrote: »
    You have to break the conformity and run on to the pitch if we win.
    If we win I'll go on the piss for the entire week.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Did you go for KFC afterwards :p

Will never look at a piece chicken the same way again!

Today in America, I went to a kids magic show that had far too many awesome Christopher Walkins references, and then into a chemist which had Kurt Angle's TNA theme playing for some reason. Yes, I walked up and down the aisle, pretending there were crowds cheering me :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Today in America, I went to a kids magic show that had far too many awesome Christopher Walkins references, and then into a chemist which had Kurt Angle's TNA theme playing for some reason. Yes, I walked up and down the aisle, pretending there were crowds cheering me :P

would think it more likely they were chanting you suck! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

This new look boards does not work well with my Ipod. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

^ is there a boards app? I'm just using safari on it, looks the same to me :o

jaykhunter wrote: »
    ^ is there a boards app? I'm just using safari on it, looks the same to me :o

I'm using safari too. Making a new thread is a pain. Writing goes all over the place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Was watching the Joe rogan podcast there with Dom Irrera, and they started talking about being in Galway and Kilkenny and about irish people, and joe hadn't heard of hurling before, so redban stuck up a video of hurling for him. Joe was impressed anyway. Its mad how everyone outside of ireland who sees hurling for the first time thinks its crazy and rough, literally every person ive shown a video of it to who was foreign has said something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Pleased for Andy Murray, hope he wins on Sunday now. :)

Gradually I'm being hunted down by the Joe Rogan podcast. I'll leave a trail of weed in the wrong direction though and catch them out.

Long hair was annoying me tonight so I just shaved it all off there (blade 0) a few minutes ago,the bits I can see look grand but not sure about the back!

Cant decide to go the whole hog and shave the rest of it with a razor a la Steve Austin or just leave it as is!

Gradually I'm being hunted down by the Joe Rogan podcast. I'll leave a trail of weed in the wrong direction though and catch them out.
    If you could lead that trail to the edge of a cliff that'd be great.
    Long hair was annoying me tonight so I just shaved it all off there (blade 0) a few minutes ago,the bits I can see look grand but not sure about the back!

I could never do that to mine its long and staying long but I can't keep the beard shaved enough, annoying as f*ck it is.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Pleased for Andy Murray, hope he wins on Sunday now. :)

I hope he does as well should be a great game him against Federer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Gotta let off some steam somewhere and without the risk of trolls or any kind of bs.

I have to put my dog down this week. Bruno Sammartino the Rottweiler has severe bone cancer, with a tumour growing on his rib cage and pushing into his lungs. He has been given two months to live, but it will be a very painfull end so we have made the call to put him to sleep. He is getting a fry up for dinner and pigs ears with chocolate for desert, going out with a bang!

The thing is I'm angry as well as sad, because he is a rescue dog. We got him two years ago, where he previously spent 7 years as a forced breaking dog that was just skin and bones. If we never took him in then his old "owners" probably would have him still tied up and do nothing to help his pain. How anyone can do something so sick to an animal without a single bad bone in his body, that plays with my nephews and will give you non stop affection on command is beyond me.

He is living proof that there are such things as bad dogs, only bad owners. I'm glad he has gotten two years of attention, love, the highest quality food and got to be named after a wrestling legend :p I'm sad to see my best friend go, but happy he gets to go out with bang.

/rant. Sorry about that I just needed to vent somewhere :)

I'm really sorry to hear that mate. He's going out in style and loved.

God I just came across this comic strip labelled "The last Calvin & Hobbes Comic" and oh man, a piece of my childhood just died.

4702302_700b.jpg

Sorry to hear about your Dog thebostoncrab at least she had a great last few years and last supper, think my own Dog doesn't appreciate how lucky she really is. Family had to get our old Dog put down about 5 years back and that was tough considering she was 19 but her health deteriorated late on so we made the right choice.
    Clare are looking so bad I reckon i'd even get a game assuming I do a seanie johnston.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Ah sorry to hear about Bruno. I assume you didn't call him by the full title every time you were calling him?! Anyway, yeah you feel kinda like you're failing the animal always when you get a pet put down. My cat of 13 years was taken last year and it really is hard. Man, I was at the Skerries 100 today, and I think I have sunburn, did anyone else venture to it???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I stumbled across this try earlier. Brilliant.

Sorry to hear that thebostoncrab

Losing a pet is really tough. My thoughts are with you TBC and LisaLee.

Sorry to hear about Bruno thebostoncrab,at least he had a great few years with you guys though.

Still get choked up to this day when I think about putting our old collie Socks down about 6 years ago.

So sorry to hear the bad news. Really tough lossinf a pet. Hate to haveto do that to my golden lab. The end to the flim marley and me got me the first time I seen it. I was crying.

Oh man, that movie. I just don't go near it. I was told not to watch it a few years ago because I get so sentimental over animals and have managed to stay true to that pledge since!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

cena wrote: »
    So sorry to hear the bad news. Really tough lossinf a pet. Hate to haveto do that to my golden lab. The end to the flim marley and me got me the first time I seen it. I was crying.
    Sure that was sad, but this youtube video really got me. I cried for the first time in years while watching it. I think everyone who has a dog will know what the guy in the video and what thebostoncrab is going through.

My old dog of 12 years old had to put down a few years ago as he developed terminal cancer.
    But I wasn't living in ireland at the time. I think that made it easier in a way, not having to see him fade away. But keep strong TBC, its selfish to keep him alive if hes in pain, so your doing the right thing, think of it this way; hes going to be sharing a few bones with his mates and chasing bitches all day upstairs now! (see what I did there :pac:)

Anyway, here is the video, dont watch it if you dont want to cry, as if you've had a pet dog before, you will cry, but its a good video, such raw emotion during that moment we dog owners dread.

Man, that was a beautiful video. Thanks for posting that. Really inspirational (but on the other hand I can't imagine making something like that!).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

Thanks for sharing Charlie. It's just such a horrible decision but Bruno's become a shadow of his former self and he's in pain. I couldn't imagine documenting it, I'd rather remember our boy in his prime. Jumping around like an eejit, stealing food and chasing cats out of the garden!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement