Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic **This Thread Now Closed For Business**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

With this whole Soarview thingy, is that affecting the English channels (BBC, ITV and C4)? Is it just the Irish channel's we're losing, does anyone know?

My understanding is that you will lose all the channels you receive through your aerial.

As the digital switchover in October is also happening in Northern Ireland, I guess everyone living near the border who can also pickup UK channels through their aerial will also lose these UK channels too.

My frustration is that the whole Saorview advertising campaign is based all around 'free' digital TV, yet the Saorview approved boxes start at +€55 each. So it's not technically 'free', we have to pay €55 for something we were already getting for free.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Bugger, didn't know NI was going as well.

I'm worried about how we're going to get boxes for the TVs in my house, cause we've got Sky rigged up in a weird way so it works in all the rooms in the house. And yeah, reading about this "free" thing is frustrating me no end....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I feel sorry for all the elderly people out the country who won't have a clue what all the ads are about. It will cause absolute uproar for people who can barely use their remotes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,603 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I feel sorry for all the elderly people out the country who won't have a clue what all the ads are about. It will cause absolute uproar for people who can barely use their remotes.

It is not as easy to set up as the adverts claim and even if you have a high up outdoor aerial in some areas still difficult to get a good quality picture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Bugger, didn't know NI was going as well.

I'm worried about how we're going to get boxes for the TVs in my house, cause we've got Sky rigged up in a weird way so it works in all the rooms in the house. And yeah, reading about this "free" thing is frustrating me no end....

There are some out there selling boxes that unofficially can tune in NI's freeview frequencies that we should be able to pick up here.

Any good places to eat near Vicar Street guys? Also what's a good pub near Vicar Street?

CMpunked wrote: »
    There are some out there selling boxes that unofficially can tune in NI's freeview frequencies that we should be able to pick up here.

It hadn't even registered in my head that I could lose the NI channels with a Saorview box. -_- Jesus....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Anyone know a program that can separate and combine audio and video tracks without encoding? Looking for a program that can extract the audio from a video, and be able to recombine an audio and video track.

Windows movie maker can actually do this - pain in the ass of a programme but it works!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Does anybody know how long a comedy gig in Vicar St. usually lasts? Heading up to see Jim Jefferies in September but have to get a bus back to Gaillimh at 00.15 and the gig starts at 7.30/8.30.

what a gig that was!

what a gig that was!
    Very very good. When I was leaving the girl who gave out to Jim broke up with the boyfriend seemingly. All the bouncers were pissing themselves laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Anyone know a program that can separate and combine audio and video tracks without encoding? Looking for a program that can extract the audio from a video, and be able to recombine an audio and video track.

Use video2mp3 to extract the audio and then use windows live movie maker to recombine the mp3 file with the video

What's everyone's thoughts on the new robocop?
    I wasn't a huge fan of the original but didn't mind it either but don't think I like the look of him without some shiny chrome:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=94813

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I wasn't a huge fan of the original but didn't mind it either but don't think I like the look of him without some shiny chrome:

Yeah it really needs something to make it look less bland. I can imagine if this is released in 3D you'll barely be able to see him during night scenes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

As far as I know, there's meant to be 4 different suits in the movie. Some night be prototypes so who knows this might not be the final suit yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

most internet talk says that it'll be overlaid with CG bits and bobs. But whatever happens the main thing is the strength of the movie.

Kinda looks very Batman ish to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

Went to change 150 dollars got 111 euro. I was aked if I had the receipt for when I got the money. Was I with the bank, did I get it from that bank.

I have never been asked this before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

What are you talking about Cena? I assume you meant to say form instead of for. Ha ha. Hot Press were due to ring me about something today and never did, unreliable journoscum.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Kinda looks very Batman ish to me

Thats exactly what I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

ejsubh.gif

I love that man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

When I seen him do that I wanted to see Samoa Joe do a seated senton to him. Watched the Milan match tonite, jesus in the last 5 or 6 years we have gone back a long,long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Really surprised Gerrard would do this himself, his missus yes she seems to be a bit of a media whore

Gerrard should be more worried about his form this season. It'll be as bad as Being Liverpool where Brendan Rodgers does a impression of David Brent when discussing managing us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Do any former mods still post here, or does hanging up your mod hat mean cheerio to the forum?

In my time here, ill list who has modded, that I can remember

Hanza
    Ph3nom
    fozzy
    Vince13579
    Orestes
    Terry
    ShaneRaisen

I am sure there are a few more. If not, the above, plus the current incumbents is pretty good innings in 10 years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

gimmick wrote: »
    Do any former mods still post here, or does hanging up your mod hat mean cheerio to the forum?

In my time here, ill list who has modded, that I can remember

Hanza
    Ph3nom
    fozzy
    Vince13579
    Orestes
    Terry
    ShaneRaisen

I am sure there are a few more. If not, the above, plus the current incumbents is pretty good innings in 10 years.

10 mods in 10 years is pretty good going, especially considering the PW board wasnt always such a nice place. Yet oddly we have more mods now than ever whilst having a board that quite often can mod itself. I think you have the full list there minus me, you and Jayk too. It is odd how they dont seem to post anymore but I think a few could still have the random message here as Vince, Orestes, Terry etc have done before. I guess its more just that most mods stop modding as they wont be posting regularily here anymore and not cos they couldnt be bothered modding. I know that I suggested stepping down when I moved away as I didnt think id post too much but tbh if the way you live your life doesent also change why should anything but the time you post (if like me you are now in a different timezone). If any of us starting having kids or whatever then the time available for posting on forums would suddenly change with our priorities though im sure. 1 good thing is that on this board what i'd call are regulars are imo some of the better posters on boards (cheap pop) and most would make very good PW Mods if replacements were ever needed.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    ShaneRaisen

O5KCl.gif

It's probably been asked before, but what's the story with bombidol? Hasn't posted here in 3 years but is still a mod. Does he even be in the PW mod forum with you guys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Penn wrote: »
    It's probably been asked before, but what's the story with bombidol? Hasn't posted here in 3 years but is still a mod. Does he even be in the PW mod forum with you guys?

Afaik, he's the 1 that set up the PW forum so will always be a mod of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I look at Fozzys time in charge like the Boards PW Attitude era.

D.Q wrote: »
    I look at Fozzys time in charge like the Boards PW Attitude era.

Please expand.

• Advertisement

Please expand.

Sh*t was crazy. People getting banned everywhere. Mods having a tough time of it. Everyone arguing. I think I only experienced the tail-end of it but even that was almost a 180 to how things are now

Penn wrote: »
    Sh*t was crazy. People getting banned everywhere. Mods having a tough time of it. Everyone arguing. I think I only experienced the tail-end of it but even that was almost a 180 to how things are now

Completely agree, it was quite mental. But the attitude era was a well loved period of time that changed the face of the game.
    That period of time here.. I dont think I would describe it as well loved. :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Completely agree, it was quite mental. But the attitude era was a well loved period of time that changed the face of the game.

How bad was it here? I'm new enough to the PW forum as you can tell by my joined date and every so often I see a comment talking about the dark old days or the bad times, they sound biblical!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

it built character ;)

lockie1983 wrote: »
    How bad was it here? I'm new enough to the PW forum as you can tell by my joined date and every so often I see a comment talking about the dark old days or the bad times, they sound biblical!

Literally every thread would turn to **** with people arguing and people getting banned etc.

It's also that people calm down IMO. Rovey, myself, think Callaway is still posting and countless other naughty children are internet message-board pensioners.

I think I remember a thread about Kane of all people getting very feisty at the time.

I think remember a thread about Kane of all people getting very feisty at the time.

That was certainly a period of time of "he who must not be named".

Madden NFL 13. 6 games online, 6 losses -_- Never been so tempted to trade a game in the day after I get it.

Madden NFL 13. 6 games online, 6 losses -_- Never been so tempted to trade a game in the day after I get it.

Have you tried playing against the CPU first before going online? Some of the guys who play Madden Online are ANIMALS!!

• Advertisement

I couldn't imagine going online in Madden. Watching videos showing tips and tricks on youtube, guys using the shortcut menu things to send people on different routes etc, moving the offensive line and stuff... They're doing it without even thinking about it half the time. I don't even know what they're doing because they do it so fast it only flashes up on the screen for a second.

The way I play is simple: Whatever play Gameplan comes up with, throw/run ball, hope for the best.

That being said, I definitely think Madden 13 is an improvement on M12. Didn't really like M12.

Have you tried playing against the CPU first before going online? Some of the guys who play Madden Online are ANIMALS!!

Yeap.

I can maul the rookie setting easily, running the length of the field with no hassle. Move up to pro and same problems crop up; can't defend for my life, while my opposition are intercepting everything, the ball keeps getting fumbled, my runs gain me a yard or two at a time....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I havent played an NFL game in years. Cant remember what I did on defence, but on offence I spent the first three down's sending it wide/infield (depending on starting position) and running. Fourth would be a throw or a punt. If I had sight of goal, I'd go for a field goal no matter how unlikely. No idea what I was supposed to be doing, but it seemed to work before I got bored with it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Please expand.

i had just joined, it was all so fresh and exciting. I started the Kane thread damnit! :pac:

It seemed to be more chaotic and aggressive, now its very PG and friendly.

you could log on to boards to see GAA talk banned from the off-topic thread, pages and pages of bitter pedantic sniping at each other, people banned for nothing, hilarious train-wreck bet threads. It was incredibly entertaining.

Literally every thread would turn to **** with people arguing and people getting banned etc.

TBH, that is bollocks. It was never the warzone that some drama queens wanted us to believe it was. Since I became a mod, I went back on some threads which were apparently "Shítstorms" and they were nothing of the sort, just people trying to make themselves seem important by saying that things were bad.

There wasone period where stopped posting here alright, but that was more down to a personal issue I had with someone than anything else.

BH and myself didn't re-invent the wheel (we have been mods more or less the same amount of time). We just didn't treat the posters here like children. We introduced a few things here, and things have gone swimmingly ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I remember Orestes being "welcomed as a mod" - in his thread 2 people got banned! This place was mental back then!

Orestes is also the only mod on that list that I know IRL - he moved country, and is bouncing around the place but does pop in from time to time with a *hic*

I remember Orestes being "welcomed as a mod" - in his thread 2 people got banned! This place was mental back then!

Orestes is also the only mod on that list that I know IRL - he moved country, and is bouncing around the place but does pop in from time to time with a *hic*

I looked at that thread, completely needless bans. It was mod behaviour which contributed to people acting the dick, not vice versa. Same over in the MMA forum for a while.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I havent played an NFL game in years. Cant remember what I did on defence, but on offence I spent the first three down's sending it wide/infield (depending on starting position) and running. Fourth would be a throw or a punt. If I had sight of goal, I'd go for a field goal no matter how unlikely. No idea what I was supposed to be doing, but it seemed to work before I got bored with it. :D

See, I play crazy ways as well, but primarily used to play against my brother. It meant we developed weird habits of running, I suppose, and going for it on 4th down constantly. Suicide tactics which worked when neither player knew what they were doing :P

Anyway, had a game today which I lost 35 to 28; Yes, I got 4 touch downs :D The ****** managed to get his last touchdown with three seconds on the clock as well :(

In other news, I have finally got round to finding out where "Gangnam Style" comes from and have a new favorite song :P

cb3.gif

Yes....I am slow....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I've been playing Red Dead Redemption this week. 2 years later! Any fans? Please don't spoil it for me now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I've been playing Red Dead Redemption this week. 2 years later! Any fans? Please don't spoil it for me now!

It's fantastic. One of the only games in the last few years that completely gripped me and I completed it 100% over 2 solid days. Great soundtrack too!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement