Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic **This Thread Now Closed For Business**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I've been playing Red Dead Redemption this week. 2 years later! Any fans? Please don't spoil it for me now!

I want it but they never have it when I go looking. I suppose I could look more than once every two or three months :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I've been playing Red Dead Redemption this week. 2 years later! Any fans? Please don't spoil it for me now!

It's amazing!

How far into it are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I want it but they never have it when I go looking. I suppose I could look more than once every two or three months :pac:

I always see it going 2nd hand, really enjoyed Red Dead but didn't like the Undead Nightmare expansion. 5-3 win over Young Boys this week shows that a game can have many goals but still not be a great game to watch. Enrique put in the worst performance from a left back since Pancaro for Milan vs Deportivo 8 years ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I bought it blind a few months back, thinking it was just a wild west game, not realising it was GTA: Wild West. Got deep into it but then stopped playing it one day and never went back to it...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I kinda want to play RDR some time, just to try and find a few of the notorious glitches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I'm not very far into it at all. I rescued some old guy who was shot by bandits, drove his wagon.

I'm not very far into it at all. I rescued some old guy who was shot by bandits, drove his wagon.

It takes a good while to get fully into it. But when it does, oh man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

While we're on the subject of video games, anybody know if portal 2 is any good? It's a toss up between Portal 2 or BTTF the game!

Loved Portal 2. Short game, but really, really fun. Even better if you have someone to play the co-op campaign with.

While we're on the subject of video games, anybody know if portal 2 is any good? It's a toss up between Portal 2 or BTTF the game!

Have both BTTF is ok enough but if its a pick em i'd go with Portal 2.
    Anyone buying Borderlands 2 tomorrow or waiting to pick up FIFA 13

• Advertisement

I have to wait till Halloween to get Borderlands, since me and my brother play it together.

Plus not only is Fifa out next Friday, WoW: Mists of Pandoria is out on Tuesday. NINJA PANDAS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

lockie1983 wrote: »
    How bad was it here? I'm new enough to the PW forum as you can tell by my joined date and every so often I see a comment talking about the dark old days or the bad times, they sound biblical!

Ahh it was fine :D. I think at one stage their was a kind of old guard then a lot of people like Rovert and others all basically started posting at the same time so their was a bit of an originals vs new breed vibe going on. Then the people like myself who really didn't give a crap.... Good times :D

The only person who ever argued with me was ShawnRaven and that was for not talking enough on the podcast.

FIFA is out next week? Thats my birthday present sorted so. Only the other day my mam asked what I wanted. I dont want anything but she wont take that as an answer.

Just thinking, might ask for RDR instead so I dont have to keep looking for it! :pac:

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    FIFA is out next week? Thats my birthday present sorted so. Only the other day my mam asked what I wanted. I dont want anything but she wont take that as an answer.

Just thinking, might ask for RDR instead so I dont have to keep looking for it! :pac:

FIFA is out next Friday, what day is your Birthday?
    Just thinking I barely played FIFA 12 after Christmas cause Milan and Liverpool have died on their arse since what a petty excuse not to play it but thats it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Awful lot of pointless driving about in RDR iirc. Starting to play it again but it really put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

RDR got me interested in gaming again after a long layoff. For me its the greatest game purchase I've ever made, no exaggeration there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I loved RDR too but it was a hard game to get into. I bought it pre-owned because a friend recommended it. Played for a few hours, didn't like it. Ended up trading it in a few weeks later. Few months after that, I said I'd give it another try. Still didn't like it. Traded it in again. Few months after that, due to friend's endless persistence that it was a great game, I bought it one more time and said no matter what, I'm going to finish this game.

Really glad I did. Slow to start off and hard to understand at times in the beginning, but once you get into it, it's amazing. One of the best games ever.

I got why RDR was popular, but the huge amounts of dead space annoyed the hell out of me, and all the traveling wasn't my cup of tea. I think games went that direction for a while where they were expanding and expanding, and then started to shrink down or at least fill the space.

Speaking of games, anyone try Black Mesa yet? Just reading about it now. A full remake of Half Life. Loved HL back in the day (though never got round to HL2).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Getting an xbox next week (i usually play at a mates) what is the first game i should play

Getting an xbox next week (i usually play at a mates) what is the first game i should play

What kind of games do you like? Do you have a PS3 or anything?

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    What kind of games do you like? Do you have a PS3 or anything?

No i don't. I just kinda never bought a console a mate always had one or housemate so I didn't need one. I like the assassins creed series and stuff I like stories within the game.

No i don't. I just kinda never bought a console a mate always had one or housemate so I didn't need one. I like the assassins creed series and stuff I like stories within the game.

Get that then. Start with number 2. The first was unnecessarily frustrating and can be skipped.
    Do you like batman? Arkham asylum/city is pretty excellent.
    If you like good story games don't bother going near COD or battlefield games.

CMpunked wrote: »
    Get that then. Start with number 2. The first was unnecessarily frustrating and can be skipped.
    Do you like batman? Arkham asylum/city is pretty excellent.
    If you like good story games don't bother going near COD or battlefield games.

I've heard good things about batman so i'll be hitting them up I have played a lot of the AC series just not the latest so that's my first go to then Batman, I'm getting GOW because mates of mine play it together online from all around the place. Red Dead will be on the list because what I have read here

GOW is a great series too. First one isn't anything major (but still worth playing), but the second and third games are great. Other than that, like CMpunked said, the Batman games are great. Portal 2 is a lot of fun (but pretty short). A lot of people really liked Bayonetta (I only thought it was alright) which is more of a slash-em-up action game (there's also Devil May Cry 4 which is along the same lines which I preferred). And even though the new Hitman game is coming out soon, the last game, Hitman: Blood Money is still a great game and could be picked up really cheaply (if you can find it).

Skyrim might be of interest as well; pretty friendly to new players, a massive story and a lot of personalisation involved.

Speaking of portal:

Buy Mass Effect 1-3 Conn Man great game with a great story about choices pity the ending is a letdown but couldn't recommend it enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

buy all the old consoles (PS2, N64 etc) for less than the price of a new one then get all the classics like GTA: San Andreas, Final Fantasy 7, Zelda: Ocarina of time, Mario Kart, Metal Gear Solid 2, Tekken 3 etc as cheap previously owned games and your laughing... or maybe that would just be me.

:cool:

buy all the old consoles (PS2, N64 etc) for less than the price of a new one then get all the classics like GTA: San Andreas, Final Fantasy 7, Zelda: Ocarina of time, Mario Kart, Metal Gear Solid 2, Tekken 3 etc as cheap previously owned games and your laughing... or maybe that would just be me.

:cool:

I have my old mega drive and streets of rage I'm sorted on that front :D

• Advertisement

I have my old mega drive and streets of rage I'm sorted on that front :D

ahh good old Streets of Rage and just like Proust's madeleine so many memories come flooding back.

Sonic the hedgehog cheat = up, down, left, right, A + start together while on the options screen... can't remember for the life of me what it got you though :pac:

ahh good old Streets of Rage and just like Proust's madeleine so many memories come flooding back.

Sonic the hedgehog cheat = up, down, left, right, A + start together while on the options screen... can't remember for the life of me what it got you though :pac:

I must do this when i get settled into my new gaff

Pretty sure it was a level select. Either that or it brought you straight to the last level, but I always found it to be a bad idea anyway. You need the earlier levels to build up lives for the final levels. Not like today's games where you die and restart from 5 minutes ago. Back then, you spend 3 hours playing a game, you damn well better finish it.

wasn't there also a boss that sent you back a few levels if you picked the wrong option in a question?

Pretty sure it was a level select. Either that or it brought you straight to the last level, but I always found it to be a bad idea anyway. You need the earlier levels to build up lives for the final levels. Not like today's games where you die and restart from 5 minutes ago. Back then, you spend 3 hours playing a game, you damn well better finish it.

yes that was it, level select! not too bad a cheat which makes sense as back then I never saw the point in the infinate ammo/life type cheats in some games as to me they kinda made the game pointless. Yeah I remember how massive making it to the next level or save point was back then. Who knows maybe its like PW and a nostalgia thing but damn those older games seemed to have much more replay value too.

wasn't there also a boss that sent you back a few levels if you picked the wrong option in a question?

HAHA, yeah! In Streets of Rage 2, right? You got the option to join the evil orginisation. If you opted to join, he just laughed and booted you back to the Bridge level. Oh God, the boss on that level was a nightmare iirc; a big fat dude who could maul you.

• Advertisement

I remember a football game on PS1 that you couldnt even save. You had to start fresh every time. No transfers or anything like that, you picked your team and off you went. I'd play the thing for hours and never get sick of it because you got to start again from nothing the next day. Players never aged either so you still had the same players after 20 seasons. There was hardly any difference between the players so it was purely down to how good you were. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Ah here lads now you all got me in the mood to play my Mega Drive all day. I love how you can go several years without playing a game, and then remember the exact music note by note when you play again.

I haven't played any console released after Playstation 2. After I bought Championship Manager for the PC around 2002, I just kinda lost interest in every other game. So here is finally a video games conversation I can appreciate. biggrin.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Did anyone do anything interesting last night for Culture Night?

I was in the Dublin 2 area myself. Started off at the Lord Mayor's house. We were waiting in the entrance room for the tour to start, when the Lord Mayor walked in and he took the tour himself! Very impressed, really nice guy.

The headed to the The Royal College of Physicians, and then finished at the Number 29 Georgian House, really interesting buildings.

United vs Liverpool less than an hour away. A game that always makes me excited and fearful in equal messures.

United vs Liverpool less than an hour away. A game that always makes me excited and fearful in equal messures.

Think your a Utd fan TSC and it kills me to say I wouldn't worry about playing us these days we are blunt as fu<k up top and dodgy at the back(thank god Rodgers has dropped Enrique).

• Advertisement

I know. Being brutally honest, ye have devolved into a mid-table team.

BUT Liverpool always seem to kick it up ten notches against United.

LOL Suarez and Evra shake hands and they make a balls of the camera work. Btw Ian Rush should be forced to regrow his moustache for ALL public appearances as should Aldo.

Red card, LOL.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Well bugger, looks like my PS3 may be fecked.

Red card, LOL.

What a Helmet he was. Would Rodgers take off Borini and bring on Sahin or Suso just not Henderson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Denny M wrote: »
    Well bugger, looks like my PS3 may be fecked.

Blinking yellow light or stopped reading discs?

Blinking yellow light or stopped reading discs?
    Turning off for no apparent reason, and then won't turn back on.

We Are Staying up, we are staying up. We Are Staying up, we are staying up. We Are Staying up, we are staying up. We Are Staying up, we are staying up.
    No we're not fu*ktards

Saw it coming. United have been dire.

OH BEAUTY!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement